1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Should the Cowboys go all-out on hurry-up offense?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 9, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,374 Messages
    4,321 Likes Received
    By rabramowicz
    richard.abramowicz@gmail.com
    7:49 pm on November 9, 2012 | Permalink

For two minutes and 28 seconds last Sunday, the Cowboys’ offense looked nothing like a rickety wagon mired in the mud. Instead it resembled a high-speed train zipping from one point to the next.

Operating in shotgun, without huddling his teammates, quarterback Tony Romo completed six consecutive passes as the Cowboys covered 78 yards and scored its lone touchdown in the fourth quarter of a 19-13 loss to Atlanta. The drive was as quick as it was unexpectedly efficient.

And while it didn’t sow the seeds for a victory, it did plant an idea in the head of tight end Jason Witten, who wondered aloud if the Cowboys should consider playing in hurry-up mode more frequently instead or resorting to that style only when they are trailing by a significant margin.

“The coverages change a little bit when you’re in those situations, but Tony honestly is as good as there is in those situations,” Witten said. “Maybe it’s something we look at.”

Only four days before, Romo was thinking along the same lines when he told reporters he liked how the Cowboys’ offense functioned when Dallas erased a 23-point deficit in its 29-24 loss to the New York Giants on Oct. 28.

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2012/11/should-the-cowboys-go-all-out-on-hurry-up-offense.html/
  2. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I like the idea of the no-huddle offense.

However, I disagree with the notion that it should be run out of the 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE and 3 WRs). The problem is this offense is too heavy with guys who do only one things (WR = run pass routes only).

I think it is better to get another multi-threat player out there. I say replace a WR with a TE. That way you get 3 guys who can block (1 RB and 2 TEs) so you can run some max protect, you have 1 guy who can run the ball and you still have 5 potential receiving options. The problem when we run the 12 package is that we mostly use it to run the ball. Given that our TEs are only marginal run blockers but good receivers we are misusing this personnel grouping and the results bear this argument out. We need to use it as more of a passing offense where it can be hard to match up with. This would especially be true if Hanna were out there with his speed at the TE position.

It is a shame they haven't managed to get both Witten and Hanna on the field this year.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,556 Messages
    5,289 Likes Received
    I keep waiting for this, too. Keep the guys out there who get where they're supposed to be, and let Tony find them.
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,355 Messages
    3,648 Likes Received
    Maybe not all the time but I would run it a few drives each game or within a few drives each game.
  5. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,576 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    Is it purely the no huddle.......or who is calling the plays during no huddle, or the combination of both?
  6. Gibby!

Gibby! Pom Pom Waving Shill

1,500 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Wasn't there a time when Indy did something similar? They had a name for it, "offensive muddle" or something? Maybe it was Sugar Huddle or something agh, can't remember. I know they did it around their Superbowl run against Chicago.
  7. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,674 Messages
    1,243 Likes Received
    There are several teams that use no huddle, especially in the second half of games to wear down defenses and to prevent substitutions. Usually teams that have weak defenses will not run it because it gives the other team the advantage in time of possession and play count, especially if the team is not scoring points on no huddle series. Teams that are efficient using no-huddle definitely gain an advantage over the other team's defense the longer they can maintain that efficiency and success.

#reality
  8. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,270 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    I would run it early to try to kick start the offense. I think Romo is thinking too much out there right now, maybe the no huddle is just the thing to loosen him up. If not a no huddle at least way more pace.
  9. ksadler1

ksadler1 Member

52 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I say go for it. What could it really hurt at this point? Could we actually suck more?.....
  10. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,862 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    If the hurry up established rhythm for the offense and the offensive play caller, then this should be done.

But not the entire game. Not every series. But keep them guessing.
  11. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,079 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    I think JG is thinking too much out there. More so than Romo.
  12. coblue

coblue Member

374 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    YES.

So EVERYONE thinks less.

Don't think. Do your job.
  13. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,047 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    I would go hurry-up until they find a way to stop it. Then I would switch it up just for a small amount of time, then go back to it. Hurry up that is, not the no huddle.
  14. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,230 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    Romo is a momentum type of QB. It takes a while for him to get on a roll during each game. Maybe if we start out with a no huddle it gets Romo into that grove earlier. I've had it with the Garrett offense. I want something more up pace and unpredictable which throws defenses off balance like we were long ago. Garrett should throw his play book away and start over.
  15. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,958 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    Id love to see them run the up tempo offense a lot more during games. Earlier and a lot more often. The whole team just seems to work better in that offense this year.
  16. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,209 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Uuuugh.

So Garrett has to research it, write a thesis on it, and perform a case study before he considers it?

He doesn't have to run that offense the entire game, just when they feel they can gain an advantage over the defense. But more than once a game would be preferable. And speaking of defense, the Cowboys defense is just what you want to run a fast paced offense. They lead the league in 3 and outs, and they can hold their own for good chunks of the game.

Buuut....I suppose he'd rather just continue doing what he's doing...because, hey...it's working after all....
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,556 Messages
    5,289 Likes Received
    Is there reason to think hurrying up is going to help us make route adjustments better? Or to hold onto the ball better on critical third down passes? It might, if the mistakes are coming because players are over thinking things. I suppose it's possible, but I think it's unlikely.
  18. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,209 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    No, it won't.

Here's what I'm thinking: right now teams are playing coverage and taking away anything deep. They're forcing the Cowboys to methodically drive down the field, knowing that sooner or later they're going to make a mistake. And sure enough, they do, either a penalty, turnover, whatever.

If the Cowboys can occationally catch the defense in a set where their offense has an advantage or mismatch, that's when they should go hurry up to keep the defense from adjusting and to hopefully score as soon as possible...BEFORE someone makes the mistake that ends the drive.
  19. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,527 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    If not going hurry up out of "11" means OTree isn't out there then I'm all for it.
  20. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I've been saying to do this for two dang years.Romo is at his absolute best when he doesn't have to think and run through the play before hand. The guy we have to take out of the game is Garrett. Just let them play backyard football.