1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Should the Cowboys go all-out on hurry-up offense?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 9, 2012.

1. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,001 Messages
    1,098 Likes Received
    They should use whatever method keeps Jason Garrett from calling plays.
  2. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Garrett tends to be late to the party and finding what works best for the offense. Romo was asking for this last week. He will also over exaggerated and run the hurry up too much allowing for quick 3 and outs and not giving the defense time to rest.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Really does seem like the definition of over thinking things.

If it doesn't work, so be it. It's not like he has to be wed to doing it.

Or how about they mix it in a couple plays at a time. Get the defense into the personel that you want and then don't allow them to substitute out of it.

Sitting here and throwing out hypotheticals like, "will the defense behave similarly" or "does the surprise effect get diminished" is wasted brainpower. Those are answers that you can't get unless you actually try the approach.

If it doesn't work, the team really isn't any worse off unless they force the issue and continue to do something that doesn't work.

If it does work, the team improves by leaps and bounds.
  4. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The plays take WAY too long to come in from Garrett and then Romo has to make sure the players line up where they are supposed to and then we wait until the very last second to snap the ball, giving the defense the advantage of knowing exactly when to take off.

When we run the "no-huddle" or "hurry-up" offense, it takes all of those things out of the equation and we see MUCH better results. Taking Garrett out of the way and snapping the ball when the defense does not expect it makes sense to me. Evidently it makes sense to Romo and Witten too.

Lastly, I think it would give Garrett less to concern himself with and he can focus on managing the game and clock better. Maybe he can make sure the right people are on the field too, that might help a little. :cool:
  5. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,703 Messages
    178 Likes Received
    Go no huddle offense every time we have a chance!!
  6. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,363 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    until the first interception than we all scream "WHY DID WE DO THAT?"

you can do all the offenses you want, but you are going to realize our offense is predictable and bland and if something starts working we're garaunteed to give up on it.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,193 Messages
    6,992 Likes Received
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say you got this from that network shot of Romo yelling at the sideline after that ineffective 2nd down draw against the Falcons.

Has anything actually been said publicly by Romo about wanting to run hurry-up as a base offense? Or are we just going to conclude he wants that the same way we were pretending last week that there's a rift between Garrett and Tony?

I did hear Jason Witten say this week that we might have to look into incorporating more hurry-up. They way he said it (bad poker face) made me think it might be a bigger part of this week's gameplan. I don't think it'll be our base offense, but we might try it a few times in the game when we normally wouldn't.
  8. ksadler1

ksadler1 Member

54 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Does it really matter if it happens while they are in a hurry-up offense or a huddle offenese? If our WR's can't run the correct routes and Romo keeps forcing things, the INT's are going to happen either way. At least in the hurry-up it gives us an advantage by making their D tired and unable to sub players.....
  9. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,469 Messages
    955 Likes Received
    Has anyone studied the difference in time of possession an all hurry-up offense would produce? It seems to me like it would keep the defense on the field more, if the other team was running a standard offense.

Maybe not, though. It depends on so many variables it makes my head hurt just thinking about it.
  10. ShiningStar

6,363 Messages
    568 Likes Received
  11. ksadler1

ksadler1 Member

54 Messages
    16 Likes Received

If our D could actually generate some turnovers, it wouldn't matter. Until we get the pass rush fixed, the turnovers will be few and far between.....
  12. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Tony said it to the Atlanta media via his conference call. It’s on dallascowboys.com multimedia.
  13. ksadler1

ksadler1 Member

54 Messages
    16 Likes Received

It just baffles me how Peyton Manning can run the hurry-up offense successful with two different teams without missing a beat. Is it Romo, Garrett, are our players just stupid, or all the above?

Every week we watch teams pretty much effortlessly move the ball up and down the field on us. Watching our offense try to move the ball is like pulling teeth. It just seems so hard for them.....
  14. ShiningStar

6,363 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    what i have noticed and feel free to show me different, im always willing to learn, it seems if something is workign right, we abandon it. now im saying its because the other team figures it out, or maybe it could lead to high mistakes, but it seems if the running game is work we let it go or if romo is hot with a reciever we dont use it anymore. am i wrong here?
  15. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,290 Messages
    1,723 Likes Received
    Romo has proven that he is top notch when running a hurry up. This is my only compliment of him, and I mean, my ONLY. Doesn't mean you will score every time, but the guy just plays instinctively instead of reading this reading that.
  16. ksadler1

ksadler1 Member

54 Messages
    16 Likes Received

Can't argue with you on that point. I agree and it's frustrating as hell to see them do that.....