1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Spencer: Rob Ryan was about scheme, Monte Kiffin’s about doing the little things

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 13, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,141 Messages
    6,926 Likes Received
    By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
    jmachota@dallasnews.com

RVING – Hang around a defensive player long enough in the Dallas Cowboys locker room and there’s a good chance you’ll hear them get asked about the difference between current defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin and former defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

While most note that both bring a lot of energy, one of the obvious differences mentioned has been that Kiffin conveys his message without swearing.

On the field, Ryan’s 3-4 scheme is much more complex. Kiffin’s 4-3 base has less terminology and trickery, allowing a player like Spencer to focus more on rushing the passer and less on dropping into coverage.

“I think Rob had a lot more schemes for doing things,” Spencer explained, “and with [defensive line coach] Rod Marinelli and Kiffin, they’re more, ‘We’re going to beat them by doing the small things better than they do the small things. We’re really not going to try to scheme too much, we’re going to do the little things and try to beat them that way.’”

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...e-kiffins-about-doing-the-little-things.html/
  2. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,140 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I trust Kiffin's scheme more than Rob Ryan's overrated defense LOL
  3. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,404 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    I feel utterly opposite about that. Ryan is a genius and Kiffin? He's just OLD. Scheme and deception are paramount in today's NFL...and on both sides of the ball.

Jerry once again took us back a step this offseason.
  4. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,597 Messages
    2,474 Likes Received
    Execute, execute, execute.

Very good teams do that. We have not done that and thus we are not a very good team.

Scheme is about getting good matchups. Execution is about winning matchups.
  5. Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu Lurch

2,129 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    Lol. Rob Ryan has had a top ten defense once in his career. He's overrated.
  6. Cumart21

Cumart21 Active Member

314 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    Show me proof that Rob Ryan is a genius.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    :muttley:
  8. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

793 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Simply a resounding gong...

Not to mention discriminatory.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,471 Messages
    3,787 Likes Received
    How is that? Ryan track record does not indicate genius while Kiffin and Marinelli have skins on the wall and have shown great success.

As for age, Kiffin does not play the game he is a coach just as Dick LeBeau who is older than Kiffin yet no one claims he is too old to coach and he too has put great defensive units on the field in Pitt.

If they played I would agree way too old but as coaches they have great experience something that is needed in coaching.
  10. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,900 Messages
    1,402 Likes Received
    Unconventional doesn't equate to Genius. Often times Rob would outsmart himself.

Rob: "Pressure a rookie QB? Hmm... No! They would be expecting that! Let him get comfortable... his comfort will be too uncomfortable for him to function!"

All in all, though I understand where you're coming from. There needs to be some deception... well disguised blitzes, stunts on the defensive line, etc. Obviously when our guys were lining up and trying to beat their guy under Wade, things weren't going so well.

I like the combo of Kiffin and Marinelli, but it seems like they're going to have to have the right personnel with their hands in the dirt... we certainly didn't have it years ago, so naturally I'm concerned about this year since not a lot has changed.

Hopefully the DBs can be more opportunistic in the mean time.
  11. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,602 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    Really? The two defenses that ran a similar approach -- Chicago and Seattle were pretty good defenses. Those teams just line up and beat you.
  12. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,602 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    Kiffin has more than just skins on the wall. He's widely regarded as one of the greatest defensive minds in the game.

He gets criticized because didn't get it done in the college game but I think that is more about that game being a poor fit for him. He's about doing everything right -- technique is critical. You just don't get enough practice and you sometimes have upwards of 50 defensive players to coach.

Also, the fact that Lane Kiffin is his son likely gets him some negative reactions.
  13. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,787 Likes Received
    I agree all they did was go out and attack. I have nothing aginst Rob but often it seemed as if they only confusion on the field was on defense.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,171 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    Oh brother ...

Wasn't BP's 3-4 defense considered TOO SIMPLE?

Then we brought in Wade Phillips and Rob Ryan's 3-4 with it's supposed exotic blitz schemes.

It was TOO COMPLEX.

So we're back to Monte Kiffin's SIMPLE 4-3.

It's a bad joke peeps.
  15. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,787 Likes Received
    I think some of it does get complex when you are relying on as many backup players as we have.
  16. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kiffin is all about doing the little things right, which is all about improving player execution, not scheme.
  17. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,087 Messages
    487 Likes Received

To be fair his first season was shortened by the lockout and his 2nd he had guys of the streets playing due to injuries.
    Our D looked pretty damn good before the injuries last season and they didn't really look all that confused until later in the year
  18. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,256 Messages
    698 Likes Received
    Rob ryan is a genius? how many time have we seen him bring just 3 on 3rd and long only to see the opposition complete a pass to a wide open guy?
  19. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,787 Likes Received
    Again I don't want to come down on him but even his past history is not showing much in terms of sacks or turnovers. When someone says they trust him over Kiffin? Based on what Kiffin defense have done they are proven and same with Rod Marinelli. There defense attack and get sacks and get turnovers. Will that happen in Dallas? I don't know but I know their system works and still does today where that scheme is still used with very good success. In the end it comes down to players executing it.
  20. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,787 Likes Received
    That is the part that bothered me. His dad sure as heck never brought 3 he threw the sink at you. Rob was not as aggressive in his attack as I had hoped when he was hired.