1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Sports Illustrated writer: Cowboys had second-worst draft in NFL (Draft grades)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 3, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,048 Messages
    5,544 Likes Received
    By

SportsDayDFW sports
    websports@dallasnews.com | Bio
    2:37 PM on Sun., May. 1, 2011 | Permalink

In the aftermath of this past weekend's NFL Draft, Cowboys fans and analysts alike haven't been able to come to a consensus on how the Cowboys' draft stacks up. Some like the Tyron Smith pick, others think the team should have gone in a different direction. Some like grabbing a playmaker like DeMarco Murray, others think more pressing issues should have been addressed first. But one thing people seem to agree on is that the draft didn't fall on either extreme -- it wasn't the best Cowboys draft in recent years, but it wasn't the worst, either.

Kerry J. Byrne of Sports Illustrated doesn't seem to be one of those people.

Byrne argues the Cowboys' draft was the second worst in the entire NFL. Only Jacksonville received a worse grade, and the Jaguars controversially moved up to draft QB Blaine Gabbert when the team had many needs on defense. Byrne gave the Cowboys a D- for their efforts. Here's an excerpt of his write-up:

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/05/draft-analysts-grades-for-cowb.html
  2. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This dope hasn't a clue as how to evaluate a draft... SMH!!!

:facepalm:
  3. Cowboy from New York

Cowboy from New York Active Member

1,666 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Can't go wrong in the press by bashing Dallas. Half the country hates you and the other half loves you. But they all read the article.
  4. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,107 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I wrote that moron an email pointing out how we did not neglect the defense and how he uses that stupid boys bashing logic: the defense underperformed last year (meaning they are talented enough), so should have drafted a bunch of defensive players (completely ignoring any impact a change in coaches will have in motivation.
  5. Anjinsan

Anjinsan Benched

727 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why post such trash? Sports Illustrated? Please...
  6. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    His theory is to find our weakest stat or unit and that the draft should have been used to find someone to improve on that unit or stat line.

He states that since we were one of the poorest defenses that we should have drafted to try and improve on that unit. Since we only drafted 2 players, he gives us a D-.

Kind of a weak theory if you ask me. Yes, we did have one of the poorest defenses last year. But by plugging rookies into defense does not mean you elevate that unit into becoming a strength.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,509 Messages
    3,812 Likes Received
    Let's hope he's not right.
  8. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,462 Messages
    395 Likes Received
    Per usual for the Cup Cake era there was alot of give up on the Defense in the 2010 season.

Just dare someone to bail out on a tackle with Ryan in the house as D-Coordinator.

:grin:
  9. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,410 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    their opinions. Low Rated Sports Opinions in my view.
  10. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    its all about getting more web site clicks people...it creates a buzz getting more clicks means higher advertising prices.... Pay it no mind...none and what ever ya do don't feed it.
  11. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Didn't get my click.
  12. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,632 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Well on the surface I can see what he is saying, I find it funny sometimes how much people wanted an OL in the 3rd, with no mention of defense. But it was a draft that filled alot of needs, and all we can do is hope Rob can save the D.

I will say this though, it is hard to believe and sell to others that going from the 2nd best to the 2nd worse D is solely the blame of Wade and Ball. Right now, we are drinking that kool-aid but we have to see others won't and maybe we should be cautious also.
  13. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,326 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    Ridiculous...the low grades all come from reporters who say we didn't fill needs. Had there been free agency first, and we'd signed a FS, it wouldn't have been a need. Over and over you hear that the draft should be conducted on value, not need, but after the draft, that's all the media types care about.

Hardly anyone got a pass rusher out of this draft...it was thin there. After Miller went #2, even NE who was desperate for OLB help didn't pull the trigger. The value wasn't there. And safety was even worse...the safeties in this draft suck.

If you're on the clock and the potential pass rushers from OLB and the potential safeties aren't the answer or don't provide the value at your pick that other players do, you don't reach for them...they won't fill the need; they'll just hold a roster spot.
  14. interestedobserver

interestedobserver New Member

167 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think it was a soso draft. Smith is more potential at this point and was drafted a bit high. Carter has impact talent and a questionable knee. They didn't fix the secondary. Now if those two guys develop, that could change.

Also, if Jerry thinks he can sign Nnamdi Asomugha, then not taking a corner doesn't look so bad.
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,128 Messages
    4,327 Likes Received
    Mine either.
  16. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,717 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    Go back to the Mets/Giants forum.
  17. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,880 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    :signmast: What he said. When your editor tells you to write something when there's not much news, then take a swipe at the Boys. :mad: