1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Stephen Jones unveils new plan: Dallas unlikely to sign players over 30

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,903 Messages
    9,001 Likes Received
    Hopefully they stick to that plan.
    Vinnie2u likes this.
  2. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,440 Messages
    945 Likes Received
    You know, I'm probably a lot more free with Jerry's money than he is.:)
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,122 Messages
    6,929 Likes Received
    Somehow, I'll manage. You really think I'd be better off angrier, but with the same appraisal of the team? That seems sort of backwards, to me.
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  4. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,907 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    I am not totally disagreeing. given we had the 32nd ranked defense, its not a one year solution. and Kevin is a stop gap not a long term solution. yes you need bodies minimally for rotation. I think we can wait on him. outside of signing him to a one year contract, just in case without any penalties of owing him anything. so if somethign happens in camp...like a rat find in the 7th round, then you can just let him go. we didn't sign waters until season started. would it have helped to have him in camp? probably. but you have to evaluate what you have. is kevin willing to take a one year deal? a low contract? not sure. I am not against signing these type of players again, if we were in a situation that need to get over the hump. outside of that I don't feel the urgency or the need to sign an older player, whose best days are behind him that may at most have one year left in the tank.
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,457 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received
    You must not have been here the year we finished 11-5.
  6. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,768 Messages
    1,810 Likes Received
    "It's about damn time." - Lebron James
  7. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,064 Messages
    1,740 Likes Received
    Or I remember things differently.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,456 Likes Received
    Thing is I would like to see guys in camp not showing up once the season starts, this I think adds to the country club mentality that not every player is being held to the same standards. I like Water this time around should he be signed I want him in camp not sitting at home waiting around until the Cowboys call. If Dallas were to sign Williams to a 1 year deal I want him in camp earning it like everyone else. This team has to learn that everything you get you have to earn it including wins.
  9. Pottsville Maroons

Pottsville Maroons Member

704 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Maybe he's referring to his father.
  10. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,812 Messages
    1,086 Likes Received
    This is music to my audiophile ears. Way to go Stephen!
  11. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,096 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Dallas always learn the hard way it seems SMH!!!!!!!!!
  12. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,639 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    but I think we could all agree Cowboys have not been strong finishers. Getting younger might help that out which will directly translate into more wins. I do agree better drafting and less meddling with coaches also need to improve.
  13. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,397 Messages
    1,574 Likes Received
    Poignant post.
    And a good one.
    I'm listening.
    stasheroo likes this.
  14. bsheeern

bsheeern Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Is that what he said? .....
  15. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    Signing older players because of the lack of a quality replacement has been going on in the NFL forever and it won't stop. The Cowboys didn't invent it and arent the only team guilty of it in the last 20 years. The fact is Ware's and Wittens and Polomolus and Bailys are few and far between and its hard to take that leap to let go of.
  16. bysbox1

bysbox1 Well-Known Member

1,197 Messages
    87 Likes Received

I agree. I've been complaining about this for years. But actions speak louder than words. Let's see what they do in the next year or two.

Now if they can only change their current philosophy about how they hire/keep head coaches . . . .
  17. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,102 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    There is no plan.. That's the plan..
    BoysFan4ever and Risen Star like this.
  18. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,907 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    I don't disagree. but will he sign a one year deal? at this point a lot of veterans have a higher worth of themselves than they really are worth. as long as its a non guaranteed contract, then I am ok. because like you said if he doesn't earn it in camp, then cut his arse.
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,456 Likes Received
    I don't know if he would or wouldn't what I'm saying is I would not be opposed to Dallas making a 1 year offer if the player chooses not to take it then don't sign him. Dallas does not have to bend over for player demands, either a player is willing to work for the Cowboys on a short deal or not. For Waters he was willing 1 year 1.5 mill
  20. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,062 Messages
    1,973 Likes Received
    The no plan plan. Clever!