1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Sturm's Cowboys analysis: Too many snaps for Igor Olshansky

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 8, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,062 Likes Received
    By BOB STURM
    Special Contributor to SportsDayDFW.com
    Published 07 March 2011 11:58 AM

Related items

The Ticket's Bob Sturm offers his deep analysis of each Dallas Cowboys player.
    IGOR OLSHANSKY
    Position: Defensive end
    Size: 6'5, 315
    College: Oregon
    Drafted: Round 2, Pick 35 - 2004
    Experience: 7 seasons

2011 Analysis: Don't get me wrong. Igor Olshansky can be a useful player in a certain role. But, in his current role of being the Cowboys most used defensive end, he is miscast. It is popular to say that DEs in a 3-4 defense don't often accumulate statistics. And that is true. They are there to often occupy 2 blockers and allow others to come free and make more plays. The fact that Olshansky lines up next to DeMarcus Ware should not be overlooked as Ware makes all sorts of plays. But, when I look at 3-4s that have great success, Shaun Ellis and Cullen Jenkins are disruptive ends in the 3-4 with regards to pass rush. Brett Keisel and Ryan Pickett are dynamic at plugging the run. But, to have success, your DEs need to be great at one or the other. In Olshansky, they have been needing more than they have received. I would be fine if he was a part of a solid rotation where we can drop his snaps in hopes of getting more return in run stuffing, but near 600 snaps a season offers diminishing returns. Add to this group and see improved play to those they might be over-exposing. I think this once again speaks to their need to beef up the defensive line through the draft, and perhaps their pick at No. 9.

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...nalysis-too-many-snaps-for-igor-olshansky.ece
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    I've said it a million times - the game is won in the trenches. Until both lines return to controlling the line of scrimmage we will struggle.
  3. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,486 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    The very fact that Igor was in the 600 snap range attests to the fact that someone with the Cowboys really values him, though that value may have overworked him to the point of diminishing returns last season...perhaps the reason so many fans seem to want to dump him when I've never seen Spears give any more to the defense either.
  4. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Well, he was a Wade Phillips guy ....
  5. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    there's no way that you can deny that he was extremely effective against the run two seasons ago. I can't tell you why he (and most everybody else) sucked so bad last season. But looking at him objectively and ignoring the celebrations and other trivialities, there's no reason he can't be effective as a first and second down player.
  6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    I feel if for no other reason, the numbers (the lack thereof) will keep him around.

I'm hopeful that the new coaching staff and scheme will result in improvement.