1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Taylor: Jason Witten, Miles Austin, DeMarcus Ware part of Cowboys' problem

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Nov 2, 2010.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,269 Likes Received
    Jean Jacques Taylor

ARLINGTON – Jerry Jones, owner of the team with the NFL’s highest payroll, can blame the Cowboys’ sorry 1-6 record on the league’s biggest collection of faux stars.

But they're also losing because there are good players who are playing average and average players who are playing badly and bad players who are playing even worse than that.

The people who are supposed to know better vastly overrated the talent on this team.

That’s Jerry Jones. And Stephen Jones. And Wade Phillips. And the scouting department.

For whatever it’s worth, so did I. You, too.

We all did.

Read More http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...s/stories/110210dnspotaylorcol.1ea3150a3.html
  2. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,934 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    I cannot disagree with this article. The leaders have to take charge on the field otherwise they'll be lucky to win another game.
  3. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    Hmm but I thought Ware was playing well?
  4. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

1,936 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    I'm not a big fan of JJT, but this article nailed it, this is the most obvious account of the Cowboys failures. Instead of playing football, it appears as if the Cowboys leaders (Ware, Witten, and others) are as T-NEW states.. making business decisions on the field... NOT taking care of business on the field...

Message for Jerry Jones....Go Plan B....bench those elite players that are half-assing it...send a signal to the players, and uphold what little dignity the Franchise has left... Its time for this Franchise to MAN-UP and GET IT FIXED.

No more lip service.
  5. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,664 Messages
    764 Likes Received
    It's interesting that now that the obvious is being revealed (the Cowboys are a very, very bad team) suddenly JJT's articles are starting to make sense.

But when he was criticizing the franchise at the beginning of the season or spotting flaws with the Cowboys coaches, structure and roster, he didn't know anything and he was just one among the many mediots drinking the Cowboys haterade.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,116 Messages
    2,893 Likes Received
    I disagree to an extent I do think there is real talent on the team and many who cover the NFL feel there is alot of talent on this team. They clearly are not playing up to their potential but they have shown in recent years their ability to play at a high level.
  7. tyke1doe

19,664 Messages
    764 Likes Received
    I agree. I mean how is it that EVERY player on this team is performing sub-par?

And this was a team that won the division and made the playoffs last year and had a 13-3 record three years ago.

I can't believe that this isn't a talent roster. So it must be something with respect to execution and emotion. Isn't there a saying football is 10 percent talent and 90 percent mental?

This team has TOTALLY check out. If Wade isn't fired, we can not only go 1-15, but we will get blown out in almost every game.

I predict Wade will not finish the season, especially if we get taken to the cleaners a few more games. I say the Packers beat the Cowboys 40-13. Ten Jerry will be compelled to fire Wade.
  8. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,644 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    Another idiot writer letting his emotions get the best of him. The Cowboys have several problems that have caused them to start pressing. Ultimately the pressure and loss of Romo has caused them to panic and regress.

The offensive line is the main culprit. They can't run, so defenses just come after the QB. So the defense has to carry the team and they can't.

Or maybe someone cast a voodoo spell over everbody like JJT suggests and they all just lost their mojo overnight.
  9. Doomsday101

77,116 Messages
    2,893 Likes Received
    I have said it in other post I don't think Wade will be fired until the season is done. I do think the Cowboys will begin the search but unless they plan on hiring from within which I doubt then this staff will remain until the season is done. Jerry did not do that with Campo I don't see him doing it with Wade.
  10. tyke1doe

19,664 Messages
    764 Likes Received
    If that's the case, I'm predicting 1-15 at worst and 3-13 at best, including several blowouts. If Jerry Jones doesn't fire Wade under that scenario, my only rationale will be that he wants the top pick in the draft and will let another coach start to shape this team with higher draft picks.
  11. Doomsday101

77,116 Messages
    2,893 Likes Received
    It changes nothing that is why he will not fire Wade right now.
  12. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hmm couldn't have said it any better!
  13. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,104 Messages
    1,128 Likes Received
    I wouldn't go that far.

JJT isn't a very bright guy. It's obvious from reading his articles and he often has some very flawed and short sighted logic to the point it's pretty comical to read them.

Miles Austin is on pace for almost 1,200 yards receiving this year and is catching about 67% of the passes thrown his way. That's outstanding and really just an example of the short sighted viewpoint that JJT tends to have. Instead of putting Miles in there, he would've been better served to mention somebody like Anthony Spencer or Mike Jenkins (who I think has turned it around a bit, but probably is overrated). Even Ware is a bit of a stretch as the guy is on pace for 17 sacks this year.

But it's typical of a writer who wants to go with a narrative and the funny thing is that even when he's right, he still manages to get it wrong.

YR
  14. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,329 Messages
    274 Likes Received
    I'll bet LT never had a single game in his entire career without recording at least a tackle.
  15. tyke1doe

19,664 Messages
    764 Likes Received

Let's stop right there.

All 1,200 yards seasons are not equal nor is it fair to compare two players with 1,200 yard seasons and say they are equal.

One of the knocks on Roy Williams when he compiled 1,000 yards with the Lions was that his catches came as the Lions were playing catchup. That's why it's not necessarily meaningful to point to stats as a measure of success.

If the Cowboys are paying catch up, of course, Miles Austin is going to have better receiving numbers. That's why you simply can't look at stats. You have to look at the environment in which the stats were collected.

Second, I think JJT's criticism of Miles is he hasn't been a leader (on the field when the team needed him to be. He hasn't been as studious as he has. The push off against Minnesota, the tip pass into a Jaguars mitts, the leapfrog celebration (okay, the penalty was supposedly against someone else, but still ...), etc. We're a losing football team. Who are the players who are going to put their serious face on, their game face on and transmit a "warrior" mentality to other Cowboys?

Miles aint doing that.

Telling me that Miles is on pace to catch 1,200 yards doesn't tell me much other than the Cowboys are passing a lot, particularly when we're behind 38-20 and 28-3 the two previous games. We need him to be a leader not just on the field but in his attention to details. Yes, he's a good player, but we need him to be a leader by example in attention to detail as well as production.

So, yes, JJT's criticism is valid. Let's not make an excuse for Miles or anyone on this team. Miles is a veteran, unlike Dez. We should expect more from him instead of pampering him by saying he's doing enough because he's on pace to catch 1,200 yards in passes. What difference does that make when we're 1-6 playing catchup in most our games? :confused:
  16. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,329 Messages
    274 Likes Received
    Austin is dropping too many passes, but it's his sophomore campaign as a starter, and things have changed dramatically.

He went from being the superstar rising to seeing what a real bluechip superstar WR looks like (Dez)...Miles may have unknowingly started to press a little to make big plays, taking his eyes off the ball from time to time, looking to make a big play.

He's still looking to become a great receiver and has the ability to be a top 10 guy and have a fantastic career, but someone probably needs to pull him aside and remind him that he got where he was by concentrating on the details of running routes and securing the football...the YAC is a natural result of being strong and fast.

Dez, if he stays healthy and keeps his head on straight, will undoubtedly surpass him in a year or two as the #1 guy in Dallas, but Austin is not a pedestrian receiver...he can still be a star, but he can't force it...he's got to keep doing the little things, like securing the ball.
  17. stilltheguru

stilltheguru Well-Known Member

3,030 Messages
    96 Likes Received

:bow: I'm sick of hearing what people are on pace for. Seriously
  18. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,495 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    Ouch ! All I can say is the truth hurts !
  19. goshan

goshan Active Member Zone Supporter

1,880 Messages
    17 Likes Received

YR, you should read the article. He railed on Spencer and also mentioned Jenkings.