1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN:Taylor: Some names you shouldn't expect to see next year -- Colombo, Kosier, Davi

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Nov 12, 2010.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,889 Messages
    4,239 Likes Received
    Taylor: Some names you shouldn't expect to see next year -- Colombo, Kosier, Davis, Barber, Brooking and more

Jean Jacques Taylor

Jean-Jacques Taylor chatted with SportsDayDFW.com readers Wednesday afternoon about a number of Cowboys-related topics. Some highlights:

On some of the "name" players who won't be around next year...

Taylor: Good question: Spears, Colombo, Kosier, Davis, Olshansky, Barber, Williams, Brooking, Sensabugh.

On if Tony Romo has the "Troy Aikman toughness..."

Taylor: Romo has won some tough games. He's not the best. And he's not perfect. But he's a top 10 QB

Read More http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/11/taylor-some-names-you-shouldnt.html
  2. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,794 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    IDK, I think Spears, Kosier and Williams could be back next year.
  3. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,687 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received
    I couldn't disagree with a single one of them.

And depending on the cap situations, it looks like you'd be shaving a lot of payroll there as well.

One guy I could see returning is Kosier, in a 6th-man utility role.

He's too injury-prone to pay as a starter, but I think he'd make a nice backup player if he's willing to accept the salary that comes with it.
  4. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,043 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    I wouldn't bend over backwards to keep Roy Williams, but I wouldn't disreguard him so easily either. Had Kevin Ogletree shown anything this year, then yeah but we still need 3 WRs
  5. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,071 Messages
    1,081 Likes Received
    Cutting 3 starters on the O-Line that have been starters for awhile is not likely. Could happen and we don't know how unhappy Jerry is with the O-Line. But typically they like some continuity. I think Kosier comes back, they cut Davis and Colombo.

YR
  6. kramskoi

kramskoi Well-Known Member

1,594 Messages
    233 Likes Received

...and considering that Kosier has been the most productive interior lineman it makes sense to at least offer him something short term...Davis and Columbo are no-brainers however...Gurode and Kosier would have to wait until the following year...
  7. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,928 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    I agree....no way can you rely on Kosier to start.
  8. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,652 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I would LOVE it if we cut 3 of these sorry starting O-Linemen before next year.

That being said, I'd prefer to keep Marcus Spears and Roy Williams, but only if both are willing to play for budget contracts.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,444 Messages
    1,282 Likes Received
    Huh?
    Who else exactly do you expect to rely on.
    We are certainly cutting the fallen off a cliff Leonard Davis so we'd be trying to replce 2 OGs.

Kosier is our best OL by a good margin right now.
  10. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Draft/sign free agents to address both LT (move Free to RT) and Guard positions.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,453 Messages
    6,145 Likes Received
    We're not letting 3/5ths of our starting OL and 2/3rds of our starting dline walk in the same offseason. And given that we're going to want to replace Alan Ball, we're not going to jettison both safeties, either.
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,444 Messages
    1,282 Likes Received
    You are presumably aware there will be a salary cap next year and that rookies are totally unproven. Yet you think we pull in 3 new starters without them beating out returnees?

I am all for 3 new starters but as we saw this year you don't cut what you have then just hope those starters show up.

Bottom line is Kosier should be brought back. He is our most flexible OL and he has graded out the highest the past season+.

I want Free to play somewhere but he lacks raw strength and might be a poor fit as a RT. If he can continue to develop as an LT you can draft the best RT in this draft.

We need to draft an interior lineman as well. But that guy might be a year or two away from replacing say Gurode. And we certainly have need of a highly drafted safety as well as ILB since we have lost all depth there whatsoever.

Once this team hires a coach and defines its 2011 schemes it can add talent but there is 0 chance I'd start the process with dumping guys who actually played well and were affordable like Kosier.
  13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,444 Messages
    1,282 Likes Received
    agreed.

Ball moves back to CB and we use the high 2nd or a low 1st at Safety. We need this team to provide some support to it's CBs. TNew is aging and Jenkins has crumbled under every down man to man pressure.

This team won a playoff game just last year so we aren't turning over 50% of the roster just for kicks.
    ------------

the issue with being French is lack of logic and reliance upon facts. almost too bad the germans didn't get a stronger foothold there for the logic if nothing else.... i kid, i kid.
  14. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jike JJT is qualified to know. :rolleyes:

Like any one of any importance at Valley Ranck would bother to tell HIM. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: JJT! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  15. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,064 Messages
    767 Likes Received
    That would be ideal, but he's only turning 32 this month and the injuries haven't been chronic conditions.

The league is starved for decent Olinemen, someone will give him a shot to start, but I'd be leery of being the ones to give him a long term deal to do so.
  16. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,064 Messages
    767 Likes Received
    Kosier is a risky FA signing, there is no way you can keep Davis, and Columbo is quickly approaching 'must cut' status. I'm not sure they have a choice but to let 3/5 of the Oline go.

Dline I think they will re-sign Spears, assuming he's not still ticked about the lowball tender offer they gave him this offseason.
  17. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah I don't know how much credibility he has on this type of thing, it seems like he's just naming names and some will be right and some wrong. I certainly think Davis ought to be replaced and I don't know if Columbo can get any better or not. Kosier is a FA so maybe he doesn't come back anyway. Olshansky really hasn't done anything this year, he was tough to run on last year but not this year and I think he's a Wade pick so he could definitely be gone. Plus there will be a couple of shockers like going into the season with only 3 CBs.
  18. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,447 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    I wonder what our record is with Kosier and without since we signed him. Can anybody figure out how to determine that? Anyone? Adam?
  19. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,121 Messages
    708 Likes Received
    We're 5-6 in games without Kosier since we signed him. 36-19 with him.
  20. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,447 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Thank you.That speaks for itself. I think he's the most important player on the O-line right now. Gurode is useless without him. I think we should re-sign him.