1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Tony Romo doesn’t consider himself an elite NFL quarterback

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 14, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,706 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    JON MACHOTA
    Special Contributor
    Published: 14 November 2011 01:03 PM

CBS NFL analyst Shannon Sharpe asked Romo during the pregame show if he thinks about being among the game’s best, naming quarterbacks like Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. Romo indirectly said that he didn’t.

“When you talk about the elite quarterbacks, 99.9 percent of them have all won [a Super Bowl], and until you do, I don’t think you do belong in that class because it’s that important,” Romo said. “It’s what we’re judged by. It’s how I judge others by. It’s the way it should be.”

Romo is one of the most criticized players in the sport. He has recently been rated among the NFL’s most disliked and most overrated players.

So why is that?

“I think that people can see that maybe you have the ability to get the stuff done that it takes to win a Super Bowl,” Romo said. “When you haven’t done it yet then there has to be a reason why, and that’s just part of growing and becoming the player you can be and winning.”

Read the rest: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...consider-himself-an-elite-nfl-quarterback.ece
  2. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well he doesn't belong in the top tier of quarterbacks like Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees. To me he's right after them at #5. If he wins a super bowl this year then he would definitely belong in the 1st tier. So to me he's elite just not super elite yet.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,139 Messages
    1,111 Likes Received
    I love that he left that .1 percent to represent Eli. :laugh2:
  4. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,964 Messages
    764 Likes Received
    Romo's no dummy. He saw what happened to Eli when he answered the question a certain way.
  5. Skinsradiosucks

Skinsradiosucks Member

219 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ROFL, the best part is they have Vick in the top 10! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    Sooooo Dan Marino isn't elite? I know it gets said all the time, but I hate the whole "he's not elite without a SB" thing.
  7. dooomsday

dooomsday Member

886 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This Romo crap is like to stock market. Overreaction to the days news. Nothing changed between yesterday and today.

And Marino won a BOATLOAD of play off games. Without a bunch of excuses none of which I give any credence, Romo is probably the biggest disappointment as far as accomplishment of any QB on his level I can remember. I really dont care about stats so repeating them doesn't even register a little. I care about how we do in games that matter.

And this garbage about him not having talent? TO, Dez, Austin, Wit, Glenn, Ware, Newman etc etc. Are you kidding me? 13 PBers in 07. He took over a team that went 9-7 the year prior. All these other young QB took over crap and had success before they were 25. The perfect situation. If we were going to get over the hump we needed HIM to have a game like yesterday when we needed him. Like Aikman delivered. We have not gotten that enough from Romo. Call me a hater if you like, I will not be satisfied with anything he does until it means something. November? Bills? Spare me.

Good game tho.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,205 Messages
    6,999 Likes Received
    Has Brady won a playoff game since their 2007 run? I don't think he has. Does that mean he's no longer playing at an elite level? 4 years is a lifetime in the NFL.
  9. Skinsradiosucks

Skinsradiosucks Member

219 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ok...Hater.
  10. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll be glad when Dallas wins the Superbowl so all that B.S. can go away!

:bang2:
  11. ROUSH8692

ROUSH8692 Well-Known Member

1,229 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    Yep youre a hater
  12. luvtheboys

luvtheboys Active Member Zone Supporter

477 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    I don't think any fair minded, knowledgeable football fan could put the blame for the playoff loss to the Giants on Romo. The defense collapsed at the end of the first half, the O-Line couldn't protect in the 2nd half, and Crayton's drop and later failure to continue his route on the next to last play doomed the Boys.
  13. JPostSam

JPostSam Well-Known Member

1,012 Messages
    223 Likes Received
    when he said that "99.9%" of elite quarterbacks have won a super bowl, i assumed he had dan marino in mind. anyone who plays quarterback would recognize that exception.

just to put this in perspective, though, it's worth recalling that elway and peyton manning had to deal with the "but he can't win the big one" label for a long time, even though their skills and stats were obviously elite.

also... there are 32 starting quarterbacks in this league. if fully one-third of them are "elite," then the term is meaningless. saying that someone is elite only makes sense if there are only 2 or 3 of them, and they prove their worth consistently, over the course of several seasons.
  14. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Right now I consider only 3 QB's elite (with Peyton Manning out) They are Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. Then there are a group of 'very good but not quite there' that includes Romo, Rivers, Ryan and Flacco. I don't consider Eli to be elite but he is a good solid QB. He is just not consistent enough and no one says "you just can give Eli the ball with two minutes left and the game on the line."
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,048 Messages
    3,514 Likes Received
    I'm done with the elite or not elite and who people think are the top QB's

For me, Romo is my QB and a guy who I think can help us get to the SB that is all that matters in my view. After Troy was gone we went through several QB none who I felt could take us the distance. I feel we have that in Romo and willing to back him the entire way
  16. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,517 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    I don't think Marino was as good as some think he was. He was like Favre without the 1 SB win. He put up huge numbers, and played with a swagger, and also cost his teams in some big games with big turnovers.
  17. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,636 Messages
    251 Likes Received
    Its funny that the only qb everyone brings up that is elite without a super bowl ring is Dan Marino. Besides him can anyone name some elite qbs that didnt lead there teams to super bowl victories ???
  18. Doomsday101

78,048 Messages
    3,514 Likes Received
    I would say Dan Fouts, Fran Tarkenton, Jim Kelly and Warren Moon would be just a few
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,139 Messages
    1,111 Likes Received
    The elite conversation is a part of football, it's been part of the discussion before Romo and will be after him. Rankings and attempting to determine who is the best (even if it's impossible) is a natural part of sports.
  20. Doomsday101

78,048 Messages
    3,514 Likes Received
    As you said it is a conversation does not mean much in the big picture. Elite and top QB gets thrown around a lot. 1 day media is pumping up this QB next they are down on him.

As I said I like my QB and think he can lead this team all the personal views of ranking means nothing it is just talk