1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Tony Romo explains each of his three interceptions in loss to Lions

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 3, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,679 Messages
    6,417 Likes Received
    ByJon Machota / Special Contributor
    jonmachota32@yahoo.com | Bio

6:12 PM on Sun., Oct. 2, 2011 | Permalink
    ARLINGTON -- The Detroit Lions had no momentum and were down 27-3 with about 10 and a half minutes left in the third quarter on Sunday. Even a couple of turnovers didn't seem like they would give the visitors a chance to rally. However, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo proved that theory wrong.

Romo threw two interceptions that were returned for touchdowns in the third quarter and tossed a third while the Cowboys were clinging to a 30-27 lead late in the final quarter. The three turnovers helped the Lions rally for a 34-30 victory.

Here is how Romo explained the interceptions after the game.

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/10/tony-romo-explains-each-of-his.html
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,967 Messages
    3,465 Likes Received
    The Carpenter int i had a problem with. The slant it is a play where the QB must throw it on time, you can't wait to pull the trigger and as much as is sucked all I can do it tip my hat to the CB on the play for fighting to get through to make the int.

Last int Romo just could not get enough air under it because he could not step up. The read was correct though with Witten getting past the last man with no help over the top it was the right throw.

In the end Romo threw these balls and has to take ownership of them
  3. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,525 Messages
    972 Likes Received
    With the Carp int, I think he thought he'd gotten it over him -- that and the Witten throw are two that may have been impacted by his ribs (and the flak jacket in particular) - I'm still a bit surprised that no one could tackle Carpenter on that INT. That was just an weird play
  4. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There's no explaining those horrible throws...
  5. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,777 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    Romo's "explanations" are even stupider than the execution and playcalls on those plays.

Maybe Romo needs to get away from it all during the bye week and go to Cabo.:rolleyes:
  6. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,248 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    Well just as I explained it to a friend that lives in D.C., Carpenter jump higher than Romo thought he could, he admitted he saw him and thought he could get it over him, good explanation, for the INT, he could have lied and said that he did not see him, but he told the truth, now he knows when that situation happens again and he has someone open underneath like Phillips was, he will drop it off next time.

The second INT, was not a late pass, listening to Robinson last night in the post game interviews, He(Robinson) said when asked if he had a chance to do that play over what would he do, he said that he would make sure to cross the CB's face, he also said that he faked out side to get Houston to go for that move but Houston did not go for the fake and therefore with the hand fighting still within the 5 yards got inside and also kept him from batting the ball down when he tried to bat it down, Houston caught that ball with one arm, the ball literally went into the crook of Houston's arm, watching the game again, i really felt that Houston was mauling Robinson.

The third INT, it was like Romo said it was a good play call, witten had won on the route, he just did not get enough on the ball, I felt he should have step into his pass and the hit that was coming just to make sure he got enough on the pass.

Sometimes good play calls fail just like bad play calls.
    We lost it was a bad lost, we will learn from it, I promise you that and we will move on to having a very good season, we are 2-2, the two losses are Romo's fault. There are 12 more games to go, by the end of the season, I promise you none of you complainers will give those two losses a second of thought, I 'm not going to go as far as to say we will end up in the SB this season but we will win the division and go deep in the playoffs. Ask me later once the playoffs start if I believe we willmake it to the SB.
  7. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,022 Messages
    743 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:
  8. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    The first one is the only one that I can excuse. Carpenter made a great play one the ball. The slant too me was a bad throw same with the last one.

They still should have tackled Carp and Houston.
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Aikman meticulously broke down what happened on each of those interceptions, and people still can't get it. They're not going to get it. They have no interest in getting it.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,032 Messages
    1,894 Likes Received
    I heard what Troy said. In fact, I still have it recorded. What did you here him say?
  11. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,132 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    we are heading for a 7-9 to 8-8 season. these two early season loses that should have been wins will come back to haunt this team. the next four games this team needs to go 3-1. if the cowboys are 4-4 at midterm it will be hard to get to ten wins. the last half of the season is really tough coming up. we needed to be 3-1 at the bye to make a good run now it is going to get tougher now.
  12. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    That when the QB throws the slant route he is completely dependant on his WR to cut across the face of the CB. The WR is responsible for at the very least making sure the pass is no worse than an incompletion.

And on the 3rd INT, Romo absolutely made the right read and threw to the right WR, he just didn't get enough on the ball because he was falling backwards thanks to the inside pressure.

In otherwords, Tony just confirmed everything Troy said during the broadcast.
  13. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,107 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    What-- is he saying he actually saw Carpenter on that first one?

If so that makes it worse, i can't believe he threw that.

The third one was off the hook terrible.
  14. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    None of them count as stupid throws, in my book. I can excuse bad throws and good throws with bad outcomes as just being part of the game, stupid throws are what I get mad about.
  15. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Romo just doesn't get it. He doesn't have to make a big play all the time. A first down, keep the clock running, fg, punt are preferable when you have a lead to the turover.

His statements indicate to me that he still doesn't get it and is not really accepting responsibility to change.
  16. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Your book is wrong. When you have a big lead, you don't throw the high risk throws. They had no business passing the ball on first down. At the least throw a swing or screen, not an out.
  17. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I just don't see how anyone can justify any of those throws or play calls. When you are up by three with four minutes to go, there is nothing like the Tecmo Bowl four minute offense that enables your opponent to start on your 40 yard line and bleed the clock and score on a short field. How can anyone with a clear football head justify that unnecessary risk of a play?

The slant was a greedy call and the coverage was too tight to even attempt that throw at that point in the game, and Dallas got burned. Romo had a guy right in his face, too. If that play goes bad, there is nothing but green field between the CB and the end-zone. You have to love the 3rd and 2 shotgun pick six while you have a 17 point lead. Never mind that the offensive line was opening up good holes for Tulious Choice and Murray on that very drive. Until this team gets rid of the shotgun on 3rd and 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 and inside the 5, they will continue to be pretenders. Of course, if Romo continues his terrible and reckless decision making, it will not matter.

The 3rd WR had torched Houston, but Houston knew that a pass or a draw was most likely coming. The Lions played pass or draw all the way. Plus, Houston ate that slant up. Houston had seen that play already during that game.

There is nothing like passing on 1st and 10 when you are up by 24 points, in the second half! How about running the football 2 out of 3 times in order to set up a manageable 3rd down for the QB. The "hard work" was done. How about ditching the shot-gun and making the other team have to respect multiple types of runs on 3rd and short or 3rd and medium. Go Barbie, go....

The Lions needed a Romo melt-down to have a chance to win, and they got it.

The Lions were who I thought they were, and Tony Romo let them off the hook.

The Cowboys got what they deserved.

Beat!