1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Tony Romo: My rehab from back surgery is going well, no setbacks; ‘We’re getting close’

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Mar 9, 2014.

1. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,447 Messages
    770 Likes Received
    I do wish Romo well, I just happen to believe his days as a NFL QB are numbered, I want the team to win.

I just wanted to separate that out for you, maybe it'll help.
  2. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,656 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    If by wishing him well you mean, "I wish Tony was forced to retire right now but otherwise would recover completely and live a healthy life away from football", then I believe you. Otherwise, no.
    dstovall5 and jobberone like this.
  3. noshame

3,447 Messages
    770 Likes Received
    Chose to retire, and returned a portion of his bonus.....there, thats better.:D
    Super_Kazuya likes this.
  4. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,029 Messages
    573 Likes Received
    Typical deflection of the real problems with this team which is not QB. He could've thrown the ball all over the place ...kind of like Eli did last year - how'd that work out.

31 TD 10 INT! Oh the angst you must feel that last season wasn't his fault.

Don't worry only another 3 years before you guys get to show us all how smart you are and just grab another top ten QB from the QB tree - I'm sure it's full of them.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,623 Messages
    3,347 Likes Received
    I don't think the cyst surgery was anything but a cyst so that's zero worry. I don't know enough about his symptoms, signs, tests and intraoperative findings as well as his recuperation to be able to form a meaningful opinion. All we have is he had surgery, he appears to be doing fine and he expects to be ready to do some TC. I don't want him doing too much in any TC from now on anyway. Just enough to get his strength, accuracy and timing down with the receivers.

If he's having fun watching games as well as hanging with the boss and talking offense which I'd bet my life on then its all good.
  6. jobberone

36,623 Messages
    3,347 Likes Received
    Exactly what data do you have that points you in that direction?
  7. noshame

3,447 Messages
    770 Likes Received
    27th in the league on 3rd downs. It's great when you can dink and dunk on 1st and 2nd, when everybody has to play run, but when they know it's coming and you can't get it done, time's up.

Plus as I said earlier, if you watch the 22's (without the rose colored glasses) you see receivers open early, he won't pull the string.
    There's a reason we have a new passing game guru on board, defenses won't know the formations, there will be blown assignments and receivers wide open early. All tendencies we'd had are out the window, if Romo can come back with better accuracy it may extend him a season. But his arm is a shadow of what it once was, granted he still has a quick release, but his arm is now less than average, people close on his throws of 15 yds or more like rats to cheese.
    If anybody wants to watch the film, it's as plain as day, the Cowboys see it, that's why we pushed the panic button.
  8. Animosity

Animosity Active Member

412 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    How can you say this with a straight face? I've watched every Cowboy game this year, and the 31 TDs don't tell the whole story. A lot of it came in garbage time... you know.. like being blown out by the Bears on national TV... Romo comes in and saves the day with a 3rd TD when the game was way out of reach. Romo is done as a starter in this league and I can say this with a straight face.
  9. Super_Kazuya

1,656 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    I'm glad you are having a good old time plugging that "stat" every chance you get, but just keep in mind that most people know that it is a totally meaningless stat, and it certainly isn't a quarterback stat. Keep trying.
    jobberone likes this.
  10. Super_Kazuya

1,656 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    One is a lot?
  11. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,375 Messages
    3,670 Likes Received
    Coming off the kind of year he just had I'd say he has a lot left in the tank.
  12. noshame

3,447 Messages
    770 Likes Received
    Really, please enlighten us.
  13. jobberone

36,623 Messages
    3,347 Likes Received
    You're focusing on a stat that's known to be fragile and not that predictive. There are a lot of reasons for that and I'll name a few. How long was the 3rd down conversions..ie first and second downs are just as important. How many third down conversions did the team have compared to others? How well did Dallas do well on other downs relative to the league? What was their Sc% and RZ% which are more predictive for wins. What areas on offense are they doing well? What is their YPC and A/YPC. What was the YPA. What is YIA and %YIA? Their QBR, yardage, INT%, number of positive plays esp longer completions and rate yada. How about negative plays???

I would look more at how many points did we score/PPG, YIA, YPC, INT%, TDs, Sc% and RZ% as well as big plays negative and positive before I'd focus way down on third down completion rates which are more team dependent. We do need to get into shorter 3rd downs and complete more. It is important for Dallas to improve there but that needs a microscope and careful dissection to understand all the whys.

They need to work on numbers of things but scoring 27+ PPG ain't bad. Giving up a tad more is real bad.
    windward likes this.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    room haters are fun to watch twisting in the wind. They almost had a collective suicide pact after the Washington game last year; Romo wins it and then is out for the last game so they cannot blame him.
    DFWJC and jobberone like this.
  15. jobberone

36,623 Messages
    3,347 Likes Received
    Total TDs don't tell the whole story, true. Romo had 4 GWDs and 2 4th quarter comebacks last year which are pretty damn good. You can look up his stats otherwise. And this on a team that gave up over 27 PPG. Romo had 3 games not in his normal territory and the Bears game was one. The others Wash and Philly. Your post is not only totally meaningless it is the antithesis of analysis of a QBs role in a NFL game.

You're looking north when you should look south. Check out the defense if you want the numbers 1-10 reasons we failed last year. Piling on Romo makes for a silly post.
  16. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,688 Messages
    1,126 Likes Received
    lol what?
    jobberone likes this.
  17. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,751 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    Another reason to hate Romo!!#Tarheels
  18. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,369 Messages
    1,459 Likes Received
    Ok dude, you really hit the nail on the head! Romo sucks on 3rd downs, right? Well we get that, and we also understand 3rd downs make up a VERY miniscal amount like 10-20% of all plays. So what about 1st down, 2nd down, and 4th down? Ohh yah, he's ranked among the best QBs in the entire NFL. I'll take a 76.7 QBRating on 3rd down any day of the week when my QB has a 102.1 QB Rating on 1st and 2nd down. Though his 4th down rating is a little low compared to his 'normal' self, it's only 138.9. :D
    jobberone likes this.
  19. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,369 Messages
    1,459 Likes Received
    You honestly consider a QB who has 7.5+ Y/A as someone who "dinks and dunk"? Who the heck are you watching at QB? They must be a beast throwing bombs on every down for you to think 7.5 is low.... 7.5 Y/A is not dinking and dunking sir, and that's what Romo has on first and second down.

Noshame, meet facts. Facts, meet Noshame.
    jobberone and Nav22 like this.
  20. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,228 Messages
    1,374 Likes Received
    I find it much more interesting that the team's starting qb and his head coach are spending a ton of time together in the off season watching winners and learning from winning coaches together.

Will that translate into anything?
    I cannot say-
    I do find it interesting and wonder if other team's coaches are doing the same thing with their important players...
    Seven and jobberone like this.