1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Travis Frederick ‘a lot more comfortable’ than he was a month ago

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 13, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,708 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
    jmachota@dallasnews.com

IRVING – Jason Garrett said Wednesday that he notices the growth that Travis Frederick has made since the Dallas Cowboys selected the center in the first-round of April’s NFL Draft.

“We’ve been practicing against a lot of good talent, and that’s something I wanted,” Frederick said. “One of the reasons that I decided to leave early and come to the NFL was the opportunity to play against great competition every day and it certainly is great and it gives me a great chance to be better.”

“I’m certainly a lot more comfortable, still really improving on a lot of things on a daily basis,” Frederick said. “Now my focus has really changed to the little things, the technique things here and there instead of trying to pick up a playbook and pick that stuff up. I feel like I’ve picked that up pretty well as far as assignments and stuff like that, but obviously there will be little things here and there, and once we start seeing some different defenses it’s going to be a little bit more as well.”

Read more: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...ore-comfortable-than-he-was-a-month-ago.html/
  2. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,851 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    I've been wondering how he is doing. We have heard very little about him.
  3. Funxva

Funxva Inventor of the Whizzinator

1,685 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    That's pretty fast to pick up the playbook for a Center, if he continues his growth and can put the majority of the mental aspect down as good to go, then I think we will have a player there at Center.
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    For a center, that is probably a good thing.
  5. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,496 Messages
    198 Likes Received
    I have liked this pick since draft nite, I hope he contiunes to improve.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,972 Messages
    9,064 Likes Received
    He'll be the all rookie team C this year and have a rookie year similar to Tyron. Though his mistakes might be more visible and costly since he's right in front of the QB.

I agree he was a reach but I disagree just as much with the guys who claim he was a 4th/5th round talent. I don't know what they were watching. If he's not our starting C here for the next 10 years I'll be disappointed.
  7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,687 Messages
    1,011 Likes Received
    Agree with pretty much everything here. I get tired of the reach concept because if he IS the solid or great starter for the next 10 years, then that's always a win in the first round.

You're right about the mistakes being more apparent though. Romo probably isn't excited about getting drilled on a missed pick up.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,972 Messages
    9,064 Likes Received
    Yeah, that's what I mean. A whiff from Frederick, and they're coming, and Romo has much less of a chance to escape from it than he would Tyron at LT. Even on the blindside.

Of course then you have the snaps. We might see a few miscues early on.

I won't overreact to it but I expect to see an ascending player as the season goes along and we enter next offseason with 2 legitimate pieces for our line of the future.
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,111 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    I like it... He'll be fine!