1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Tyron Smith happy to see Doug Free back with Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 31, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,890 Messages
    3,837 Likes Received
    By SportsDayDFW sports
    websports@dallasnews.com
    7:02 pm on May 30, 2013 | Permalink

By Michael Florek

Smith said he was happy to see Doug Free return to the Cowboys.

“It’s good to see one of our best come back,” Smith said at Travis Frederick’s beard shaving ceremony at 3 Stacks Smoke & Tap House. “He’s an important part of our group and he’s one of our leaders.”

As for the newest, Smith said first-round draft pick Travis Frederick has fit in well through OTAs.

“He’s fit in pretty well,” Smith said. “He’s a pretty smart guy. He’s picking up on everything really fast. I’m proud of what he’s doing so far.”

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...s-good-to-see-one-of-our-best-come-back.html/
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Sometimes Tyron is just a little too nice.
  3. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,597 Messages
    1,004 Likes Received
    "One of our best?"
  4. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Smith has a much better vantage point from which to render an opinion about another Dallas lineman than anyone on this board does.

:)
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,688 Messages
    4,550 Likes Received
    Definitely in the top ten, anyway.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,775 Messages
    1,196 Likes Received
    He also probably feels obligated to protect teammates who suck.
  7. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,175 Messages
    718 Likes Received
    Smith sees a lot more of Free than just the on the field stuff. Maybe Free really works with the other OT on helping them learn the offense. Maybe he is really generous with the young minimum salary guys. Lots of things Smith might be getting at
  8. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    and he is going to say Free sucks in public?

You are really naive
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,688 Messages
    4,550 Likes Received
    By all reports I've ever heard, Doug Free is a hard worker and a good teammate. And he is, or has been, the second-best OT on the team the last few years. It's not a stretch to call him 'one of our best' at the position.
  10. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,361 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    This is pure professionalism on T's part here. I know if I say, "trust me" chances are you won't.............but, "trust me."
  11. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    So far as I know, Smith's comment about Free came out of the blue and unsolicited. He didn't need to comment one way or the other, it appears, and there was no apparent reason for him to voluntarily ingratiate himself with Free.

It appears many people here may be set in their ways, refusing to credit anything presented by anybody contrary to their preconceived positions.

Not unusual.

12. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    yeah Free stinking up the place means nothing
  13. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Glad to see Tyron spreading some positive vibes around the team.

No need to talk crap about other players.. that's what the fans are for.
  14. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,901 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    I totally agree. Just like Michael Jordan is the best evaluator of basketball talent.....
  15. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,768 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    Yes, because most of the rest aren't very good.

It's like saying I'm one of the best beard-growers in my immediate family. Well, the other two are girls.
  16. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,017 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    I think they

a) haven't put much around him yet as in other OL who can play, either. Smith only.
    b) everybody screams about his salary and what he's accomplished but heck...wasn't he a FA to begin with and wasn't he playing for a nothing salary for his first 3 years here..?
    c) maybe he just hasn't found his position, yet. I clearly remember him as coming in as a G and playing LG while Flozell Adams played OT and everybody was very pleased with him and he was a bargain.
    D) then the team decided they no longer wanted to put up with Flo's offsides at crucial times and his holding calls so they cut him and promoted Free as the OT and gave him some of FLozell's money.

What is the problem..? Free never asked for all this and the contract was offered by the Cowboys. Take it.

Now put a couple of more good OL on the starting 5 and I bet Free does fine. I'd like them to move Free back to one of the G's at his new deal and see if we can find an OT in the cutdowns and another G out of our current crop and let's see what happens.

I remember when we had Randy White who was our #1 pick one year and they tried to make him a LBer for his first 2 years and he was horrible. Every bit as vilified in the press as Free is now.

And he got it going all the way to the Hall of Fame.

Not saying Free is going to the Hall..but you get my drift. Right position, better players around him and boom.

We'll see.

:starspin RedBaLL ExPreSS:starspin
  17. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I no longer have any doubt that Free will be cut soon after seeing this post
  18. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Redball, I think you have the right attitude about Free, but he wasn't a free agent. He was a fourth round pick.

19. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,990 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Listen IF Doug Free can come back and play much better I'm all for it!