1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: WG's Man: I'll 'be damned' if I was playing and Terence Newman yelled at me

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 25, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,709 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Former Cowboys All-Pro safety Darren Woodson joined Ben & Skin on KESN-FM 103.3. Here are some highlights.
    The Hallmark of the Cowboys over the last decade is they do not finish the season well. Why is that?
    Darren Woodson: I think about what Tony Tolbert used to always say, 'it's not about all the things the media talks about, it's about how many dawgs do you have in the locker room?' How many guys do you know in this locker room that would lay it all out on the line? Defensively, you need to have those guys that are ultimately committed to winning. They would sacrifice, become role players, whatever they had to do to win football games. I think that's what you're missing when you look at the Cowboys. They have skill guys, but they don't have a lot of role players. You see the skill, you see the flash, but you don't see the guy that is committed on special teams, a guy that really understands his role.

Are those (Cowboys) safeties good enough for this to be a high-caliber defense?
    Darren Woodson: I think Gerald Sensabaugh, athletically, can make some plays for you. We've seen flashes from Sensabaugh. I'd like to see more. It's an attitude, when you catch the ball in front of them, they're going to try and separate you from the ball. Or if you catch the ball, you're on the ground right now. And it's an attitude when you get up and you're talking trash and you look back at your teammates, your teammates are patting you on the back. That's what it's about. It's an aggressiveness and that's what I want to see more of in Gerald Sensabaugh. Bringing that attitude. And there's gotta be an alpha dog in the secondary. I'll be damned if I was playing and Terence Newman sat back and yelled at me during a game.

Read the rest: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...terence-newman-yelled-at-me-during-a-game.ece
  2. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,716 Messages
    1,219 Likes Received
    Something tells me that Newman wouldn't have dared to even think of yelling at Woodson.

Just a guess.
  3. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,113 Messages
    1,345 Likes Received
    If Darren Woodson would have been in the secondary, the last six games for Newman...well, he would just have known better than to 'peep up.'
  4. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,788 Messages
    681 Likes Received
    Newman yelled at someone?

Who? When?

If there was any deserved yelling, it should have been directed at Newman and his atrocious play.
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,709 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Read the OP. He's talking about the aggression he expects from a safety...and wants to see more of from Sensabaugh
  6. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,490 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Right. He's saying that, as a former safety, he expects the safety to be the one doing the yelling as that "alpha dog."

Which makes the other post in the other forum completely off-base, just as I suspected.
  7. natedoug

natedoug Member

63 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Alpha Dawg needed in the Secondary ?? Laron Landry fits that role.
  8. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,451 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Does the alpha dog really need to yell? Does the tiger really need to holler?
  9. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,538 Messages
    468 Likes Received

Hmmmm....I read that remark from Woody thinking he was referring to the shouting match Newman and Sensabaugh got into during one of the games in 2010. i think it was the game against the Giants in NY.
  10. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

3,854 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    I'm sure he'd get all in a tizzy with a reporter, as that seems to be the M.O. for this team.
  11. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,322 Messages
    4,212 Likes Received
    While I agee with Woody about the attitude, you cannot impose your will on opposing WRs anymore. Big hits are more likely to draw a flag than not.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,999 Messages
    5,037 Likes Received
    A little off topic, but Woodson looks like he could still play. I know we never replaced him.
  13. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,133 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    O God no. Seriously, stay away.

-He's just not that good. In his 5 year career, he has 4 Ints. His lone FF this past year was against us. So expect very little from him in the turnover department.
    -He's not good in coverege at all. Up untill last year, he was widley considered a bust due to his coverege skills or lack there of.
    -He's missed 15 games the last 2 year. Most of this stems from the Achilies Tendon injury he suffered at some point in 2010. He choose not to have surgey and to rehab, which led to other nagging injuries to start the 2011 season before the achilies was too much and he was shut down at the end of 2011.
    -HE STILL HAS NOT HAD THE SURGERY. Dr. James Andrews advised Landry to have the surgery, but he has decided not to. He instead is going to try to rehab the injury, again. IMO, if he plays in 2012, which is not a given, he will end it on injured reserve.
    -Nothing I have ever heard living in the DC area has ever described him as a leader. That's not a negative neccesarily, but bringing him in for that, wouldn't accomplish anything.
  14. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,033 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Tyvon Branch has the dawg in him. And he doesn't have injury issues. I wish we would target him.
  15. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,023 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    They played together only one season. Not many rookies would dare yell at a 12-year veteran who was a team captain and a three-time All-Pro who had three Super Bowl rings. Especially a rookie who is intelligent and mature instead of being an ignorant punk.
  16. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    He's also referencing when Newman yelled at Sensabaugh on the field.
  17. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

2,006 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    I love Woody, but he wasn't a loud guy on the field, he led by example and he did make WR's look for him in a very legal way. I don't really remember his demeanor on the field being much different than Ware's.

Charles Haiey. Kevin Smith, Erik Williams, Gogan, Irvin

we have Ratliff now, Columbo was the type

The guys we have now won'r stand up for each other.