1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Who will succeed Jerry Jones as owner? Meet Cowboys' next generation

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 8, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,048 Messages
    3,981 Likes Received
    [IMG] Courtest: Dallas Cowboys

SportsDayDFW
    SportsDayDFW The Dallas Morning News
    Published: 07 October 2012 01:12 PM

Jerry Jones turns 70 on Saturday.

Jones has three Super Bowl rings, a reported net worth of $2.7 billion, and his 3-year-old, $1.2 billion stadium is virtually paid for. Why wouldn’t he cherish becoming the first septuagenarian Cowboys owner?

But at some point, he will move on.

During a wide-ranging interview at the Cowboys’ Valley Ranch complex with The Dallas Morning News' Brad Townsend, Jerry Jones candidly discussed a future that eventually, inevitably, won’t include him.

“I do want to emphasize that, at this particular time, it would be madness not to think about succession,” he says. “You have to. And you should.

“I’m very confident that if I got hit by a truck tomorrow, we’ve got a great succession plan. Everybody here understands football, loves it, is not really interested in anything else in sports and has tunnel vision relative to football.”

[IMG]

Is Stephen next in line?

Longtime speculation has been that Stephen, the Cowboys’ 48-year-old chief operating officer and director of player personnel, would eventually assume Jerry’s role.

Read the rest: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...nes-as-owner-meet-cowboys-next-generation.ece
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,809 Messages
    561 Likes Received
    Anyone hear the "Dallas" theme when you looked at that picture?
  3. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Ummmm, is that Jerry's daughter?
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,048 Messages
    3,981 Likes Received
    Yep, that is Charlotte Jones Anderson.

Remember the Jerry Wipes guy, Shy Anderson? That's her husband.
  5. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,680 Messages
    1,327 Likes Received
    Well let's hope they learned from Jerry's mistakes & take a different approach to team ownership.

In other words hire a competent GM.
  6. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,363 Messages
    287 Likes Received
    doubt it....lol....this is jerry's succession plan....just do what he did:bang2: :bang2: He has stephen learning now.
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,659 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    Stephen has given an interview before where he talks of taking over and says we would bring in a football guy to help him run things. There is hope.
  8. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,680 Messages
    1,327 Likes Received
    I hope so. Although the wording "help him" is kind of eyebrow raising.

Let's hope he hires a football guy that has control of the football decisions. Stephen can go with his sister shopping for artwork for the stadium. :)
  9. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,055 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    So Stephen isnt clueless, just powerless.
  10. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,065 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    We're doomed......I've been around long enough to see Roger, Troy, Doomsday I and II, Jimmy, multiple SB's, etc. Now this is what my poor children have to look forward to?
  11. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,310 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    Has anybody ever really heard or read this supposed interview? I really doubt that this is actually out there, and is just a rumor like Yeti and sasquatch!
  12. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,077 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    ahhhhhhh I was just thinking this when I saw that picture and was going to say just that.
  13. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,077 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Yeah I've seen people quote this numerous times as well. I hope they are right. I wonder how long they've been talking about this though. Jerry burning out a little?
  14. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,509 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    Apparently you have all forgotten that Mummra,errr ahh Jerrah is everliving. there will never be a succession!!! Buahhahahahaaaaa!!!!
  15. MagicMan

MagicMan Active Member

762 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Nah, I don't think Jerry will ever leave until they carry him out feet first from Cowboys Stadium. He just loves the attention of being the owner/gm/coach/gran pooobaah. That is something money can't buy--without it, he would just be another rich old man. :banghead:
  16. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,065 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    I believe it may have been on a radio interview of Stephen, maybe on Galloway and Company which I used to listen to pretty regularly. I remember hearing it and people posting about it but it was a while back.
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,686 Messages
    2,423 Likes Received
    I remember hearing Stephen hinting at not running everything like his dad, but it was like 10 years ago now. I haven't heard him say anything like that in the last several years and I doubt he still feels the same way.
  18. garrett316

garrett316 Well-Known Member

2,470 Messages
    184 Likes Received

That was my recollection of it, he said it on the radio. He said he wouldnt run the Cowboys exactly the way his Dad does. Intrepret that how you will.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,431 Messages
    6,489 Likes Received
    This is the most depressing thing I've ever read.
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,431 Messages
    6,489 Likes Received
    Yeah, I heard him say that years ago too. I also think he might have changed his mind in the years since. He was quoted this year on how much fun it is to make personnel decisions. Doesn't sound like a guy who is going to give that up when he gets his chance to run the whole show.

There is no doubt in my mind that his lunatic father has groomed him to be the next fake GM. He might have even requested it of Stephen.