1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Why the Cowboys won't try and lock up Laurent Robinson until after this season

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 21, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,145 Messages
    6,943 Likes Received
    ByBrandon George / Reporter
    bgeorge@dallasnews.com | Bio

1:05 AM on Wed., Dec. 21, 2011 | Permalink

IRVING - Receiver Laurent Robinson said he would love to wear the blue star on his helmet the rest of his career, but the Cowboys can't try to re-sign him until the 2012 free agency period opens.

Robinson is playing under a one-year contract for $685,000. It would seemingly make perfect sense for the Cowboys to re-sign him now. But they simply can't do that because Robinson is a vested veteran (with four previous years of experience) signed under a minimum-salary benefit contract that doesn't allow the Cowboys to renegotiate with him during his contract year.

"There will be a lot of teams that want him, but at the right, proper time if the Cowboys say, 'We want to make you our guy here,' nothing would make us happier," said Harold Lewis, Robinson's agent who is the president of the National Sports Agency in St. Louis. "Common sense tells you they want him back."

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/12/wr-laurent-robinson-would-love.html
  2. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,917 Messages
    1,381 Likes Received
    That sucks that they can't get him resigned now. I'd much rather not allow a bunch of other teams to drive the price up and risk losing him.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    Yes. He's made himself a lot of money this season! I supect the 685 k goes up to aboout 2.5-3 mil.
  4. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Robonson has been a huge find for the team. It's nice to see a player and his agent flat out say he wants to stay in Dallas and wear the star for the rest of his career rather than trying to manuever through the media to create competition for his servicies.
  5. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,666 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    Hopefully he doesn't look to bolt for the money and wants to stay with us. He may see us as a bigger score considering how our wideouts get hurt. Hell the whole offense.
  6. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    He and his agent specifically said he wants to stay with us, but if someone offers to way overpay, as teams tend to do at times, you can't blame him for taking the money.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    True. One thing I'm unsure of is can Dallas negotiate a contract before the start of FA once the season is over?
  8. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,269 Messages
    2,465 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys lose Robinson in the offseason, I shall release a great rueage the likes of which have not been seen since the Cowboys lost Patrick Jeffers to Carolina.
  9. ykc

ykc Active Member

600 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Can Dallas Tag him with a 1st and 3rd?
  10. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I have no idea. It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where the team can't negotiate a contract with it's own players at any time. Seems like both teams and players would want that ability.
  11. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    The collective bargaining agreement between the league and the NFL Players Association includes a new formula for the franchise tag, and league sources have said those tags will be considerably lower this offseason than in years past.
    League sources have provided figures that will be extremely close to what those salary totals look like, by position, when teams being placing those tags on players in February.
    In the past, a franchise tag was derived from averaging the top five salaries at a particular position from the previous season. The new formula is much more complicated and is formed by determining the franchise tags at that position over the last five years as a percentage of the overall cap figure in each of those five years.

The yearly cap itself now plays a bigger role -- the 2012 cap projects to be very close to the 2011 cap of roughly $120 million -- thus these tags will not go up much.

Furthermore, with 2010 being an uncapped year, a number of teams threw massive years of spending on particular deals into that contract year, which in turn drove up 2011 franchise tags. Years like that no longer will be the case, and despite all the record contracts given out just after the lockout -- like ones signed by Carolina Panthers defensive end Charles Johnson and linebacker Jon Beason and San Diego Chargers safety Eric Weddle among others -- figures in most position groups will drop by several million dollars and in some cases upwards of 20 percent, according to the figures we have obtained.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-values-will-be-down-across-the-board-in-2012
  12. SA_Gunslinger

SA_Gunslinger Official CZ Ea-girls hater

4,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Super. I really hope the market doesn't drive up his price, and then we overpay for a WR yet AGAIN. But having the year he has had, I have no doubt someone will throw gobs of money at him, and then we either pay more than we want or lose a very valuable piece. Hopefully it ends better than that, but I doubt it.

:starspin
  13. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,564 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    I feel quite confident there will be no shortage of rueing whether he signs here or elsewhere. It's what this site does. :)
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,864 Messages
    2,342 Likes Received
    sorry folks
    it is unlikely he will return
    someone will pay him starter money after this season

JMO
  15. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    I think Dallas will be able to work a deal with him
  16. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,917 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    The Rams will sign him and then cut Danny Amendola. Then Dallas won't sign Amendola. This will have this board spinning from all the rueage.
  17. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,012 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    I'd give him a 5-year/$18M deal with $8M guaranteed. That would be a great deal for both sides.
  18. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    I agree. Overall at the WR position Miles is making good money but Dez is still under his rookie contact that is pretty cheap

Dez:
    2010 $320,000 and $1.28 million
    2011 $1,112,500 million and $1,502,500 million
    2012 $1,335,000 million and $1,725,000 million
    2013 $1,557,500 million and $1,947,500 million
    2014 $1,780,000 million and $2,170,000 million

If Dallas was willing to pay an unproductive RW I'm sure they will be willing to spend less than RW money for a productive Robinson
  19. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,525 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    I won't be surprised if he ends up elsewhere as he will be the #3 guy here and can easily be the #2 guy somewhere else and get paid accordingly. He is a luxury but not a necessity on this roster and we need to spend our cap dollars to upgrade the defense and OL.

We should have signed him to a 2 or 3-year deal at the onset with salary bonuses and some incentives - Jerry and Stephen did us a great disservice with inking this kind of a deal.

I suspect we'll have a fight for #3 next year between Otree, Harris, Holmes, Holley and Radway. I think there is a reasonable chance one of those guys breaks out for us (esp. Otree and Radway).

I'd love to bring him back for Jordy Nelson type money (3 years $13M) if it can be done.
  20. cnhnyy

cnhnyy Member

474 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    While I do not think he is as talented as other two, he is certainly reliable and has great on-field chemistry with Romo. I would give him sensy/Sandrick (4-5M a year) type of deal and keep him.