1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: WR Laurent Robinson continues to be go-to receiver inside 10

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 20, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,145 Messages
    6,944 Likes Received
    By

Brandon George / Reporter
    bgeorge@dallasnews.com | Bio
    7:40 PM on Sun., Nov. 20, 2011 | Permalink

LANDOVER, Md. - For the third consecutive game, Robinson caught a touchdown pass when the Cowboys drove inside the 10-yard line. Only two other times this season have the Cowboys completed a touchdown pass from inside the 10-yard line and both those were 1-yard passes from Tony Romo to Jason Witten earlier in the season.

On the touchdown catch against the Redskins, Robinson made his way across the field from right to left before Romo found him just in front of a defender.

"Actually, I was supposed to come in motion on the play, so from no motion, I tried to get over across the field as fast as I could," Robinson said, "and he was actually trying to throw it to someone else. I saw him waving to somebody to go to the back corner and I just happened to come in late and he saw me and threw it to me."
    Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/11/cowboys-wr-laurent-robinson-co.html
  2. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Romo and Robinson didn't click like in previous games however that TD was huge nevertheless...
  3. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,862 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    Though I hate that he didn't run the play correctly, I commend him for owning up to it and also making up for it as well.

#reality
  4. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,917 Messages
    1,383 Likes Received
    I do as well. Good to hear players own up to that.

They were off yesterday but I expect them to get it going back again. We should have expected it with how on Tony, and all of them, were the week before.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,284 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    I'm still having a hard time figuring out why we can't get Dez more involved, but considering how out of sync Romo and Robinson were for a lot of the game and our red-zone ineptitude, that TD was huge.
  6. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    That's what makes players great, the ability to make adjustments during the play to put your team in position for success. Witten made a great adjustment on his TD reception.
  7. Dallas31

Dallas31 Member

445 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I love that we picked up Robinson. I felt that he was a really talented playmaker a few years ago for the Rams, but then he got hurt and missed the rest of the season. I lost track of where he was after that.
  8. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,089 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    There's not going to be to many teams that are going to single cover Dez in the RZ anymore. Both Dez and Witten gets doubled a lot and Robinson is taking advantage of it like a good #2 is supposed to. I expect to see more out of Dez once Miles comes back. They haven't had to many opportunities together while both where healthy this season, that and the emergence of Murray has to be a nightmare for DCs
  9. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,002 Messages
    4,533 Likes Received
    Yep. Teams will have a hard time doubling Miles, Dez and Witten. Seven DBs will open things up for Murray I'd say.
  10. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,735 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I think he knew what his job was, as he mentioned he ran over to his route as quickly as he could. Romo just never gave him the signal to motion over.

It could be because Romo was trying to go elsewhere based on the coverage, or the play clock was running out, or maybe Romo just plain forgot. (Based on what Laurent was saying, it looks like Romo was trying to get it to someone else initially, maybe Dez -- he was the side that Laurent finally ended up on-- but Romo had to roll out on the play and was just looking for anyone open). But usually you don't see a receiver going in motion without getting the signal first.

I think he just mentioned that to show that he had to adjust the play on the fly since he never motioned.
  11. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

3,077 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    As long as teams continue to double Witten, and roll coverage to Dez in the red zone, Robinson will continue to be the defacto redzone go to guy. Now, when we shore up our O-Line next year with another 300lb Center, DeMarco will be the redzone threat.
  12. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Mangini broke down the play on ESPN and clearly showed the Redskins were double covering Witten and Dez. He also showed what an amazing throw it was by Romo throwing off his back foot across his body into an extremely tight space.
  13. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,862 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    I've listened to a lot of post-game interviews so I am not completely certain but I really thought I heard Robinson say something like, "I was supposed to motion to the other side and because I didn't, I tried my best to get over there as fast as I could."

I'll have to go back and listen to it again when I have time but I thought that's what he said.

#reality