1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN's JJT:Quincy welcomes what Testaverde will bring

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Charles, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Sammythebull

Sammythebull New Member

21 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    With all this QB discussion, it all boils down to one thing. Where is Steve Walsh when you need him!!!? :p
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    At home where him and his weak arm can't hurt anyone any more.
  3. thor_01

thor_01 New Member

451 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i have never made any bones about not liking qball as my Dallas Cowboys qb, not the boneheaded plays he makes, or his constant self assuring statements of how he is a leader ( by the way saying don't make it so, leaders lead by example, not by personal edite), or his inability to bring them back from any kind of situation and just get the job done without self imploding, or his forever annoying ability to constantly make the same mistakes over and over and over again..........

i too find mickey somewhat annoying at times for his berrating of qball when he does something that i consider a positive step, here mickey rather than give credit usually reminds you that qball will return to normal the next sunday, given that qball is almost self prophisizing for spagnola it still irritates me not because of qball but because at the time he was the qb of my cowboys, and as far as i am concerned when the season is on and it is game time all bets are off, and who ever is qbing that day i want to succeed without equivication for past or future mishaps on their part..........

by the same token jjt is the anti-spag spewing effervescent bs that qball can find solice in no matter how badly he played, i find when one is constantly able to make an excuse for someones faults, the faults only worsten and are never corrected as long as they have this safe haven to somehow rationalize their behaviour as being acceptable due to circumstances beyond their control, i don't believe there is any such thing as a victim in professional sports, though all around you may not be doing their job, if you are doing yours then it will show, otherwise you are what you are no matter the situation you are in, thus i see jjt as no more and even less reliable a source than i do spagnola....

i have found imho that it is better to be of one mind your own, and to take with a grain of salt anyone who tries to sway you from that position or influence it, whether they be on the left or on the right, if you stay on the middle path you will be ok, only by allowing your self to lean either way will you find inner turmoil.
  4. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    You've got it right.
  5. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    3-4 years and hopefully the QB will be lucky enough to have a good and consistent coaching staff and teammates.
  6. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Year 4 coming up and at least to me it does not sound as if the Cowboys organization is thrilled with the status quo and expect a lot of improvement for that position
  7. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,291 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    I guess I would be more in QC's corner if I had seen more flashes of brilliance from him. Irregardless of circumstances, I still expect a QB to show something on a semi regular basis if he is going to pan out. I would also expect to see improvement over those 3 years. While there has been some, it really has not been that much. He looks like basically the same QB to me, but with the added benefit of a superb coaching staff that puts the whole team in position to win week after week.
  8. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    I agree and I'm not a hater of Carter and do not mean to sound heartless when it comes to Carter but the Cowboys come 1st, over the years I have seen players come and go but my loyalty is to the Cowboys not Carter and I truly feel he has to show major improvement this year or it is adios
  9. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We all expect better QB play.

Not for one minute do I accept the level of inconsistent play that Carter has shown over the past 3 seasons. But I also recognize that every QB has to adjust to the skill level in the NFL and hopefully they have a good supporting cast (teammates and coaches) to ensure their success.

Troy Aikman was in mid-season form during QB schools, mini-camps and training camp (balls rarely if ever hit the ground) because he was so familiar with the system and personal once 1992 off-season rolled around, but he wasn't given the reins until he played better than Steve Walsh and his teammates realized who the better QB was.

The Cowboys can't be confortable with the status quo until we have a QB that can play at a very good and consistent level throughout the season and elevate their game in the play-offs. Even if Carter falters, the Cowboys won't be satisfied with Henson until he proves he can get over the hump. I don't think the Cowboys will put all their eggs in one basket. I will totally expect the Cowboys to sign, draft or trade for another prospect and have them in the bull pen justin case Henson falters. Every team hedges their bets until someone proves they are worth $$$. It just so happens most fans don't believe that Carter has what it takes therefore every prospect or option signed in the pursuit of finding the next SuperBowl winning QB is consider a vote of NO confidence in Carter, when in actuality it is a common move made by every team that doesn't have an established QB.

They use Carter inconsistent play as a sign of not having what it takes when every NFL QB prospect struggles. I remember fans stating Carter doesn't know how to take a snap or throw a spiral. Last month Eli Manning was sailing ducks over Wrs and fumbled numerous snaps. I guess some fans just have the innate ability to determine who can and can't get over the hump.
  10. Hostile

Hostile It Has Been Fun Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    Great post.
  11. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,291 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    Good points, but I just haven't seen the consistency or overall ability that makes me think he is going to be a star. I would expect that by now, he would have shown some trait that he is overwhelmingly good at. The only one I have seen is his pocket presence, which isn't going to get him to All Pro status anytime soon.

Hey, maybe I am wrong, I sure hope so. Dallas needs a QB.
  12. Hostile

Hostile It Has Been Fun Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    You know what would have made me more of a fan of his? Being dead serious here. If you could actually discuss his shortcomings without stepping on toes. By all means, say anything you want about any player I like and I will consider it a discussion at the very best, a disagreement at the very worst. The glass toes, don't disparage the sacred cow mentality has made me more cynical of him, not less.
  13. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,291 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    I agree, although there are extremists on both sides. I tend to ignore those since I am not a big Carter fan, but lately have been trying to make comments to those people as well.

The final straw was when I was told that my opinion was wrong. :eek: How can my opinion be wrong?!?!
  14. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    JJT thinks he is Mr Slick, but he isn't.

He should just come right out and say, " I am rooting for Carter"...no problem, I'd respect that.

But instead he tries to do some subliminal advertising....Carter has never had a veteran QB to help him dissect sophisticated defenses? So I suppose Sean Payton just stood around last year looking for the hot dog vendor in the stands while QC was playing. And I suppose QC sat in the meeting room by himself and reviewed film.

Now because there is a veteran, that will make all the difference...and to support that, he cites the last time Carter had a vet to consult, the household name, Mike Bobo, Carter had a wonderful season.

OY. JJT, just say it so we don't have to waste time reading your articles with the Carter slant to them.

Mr Slick. NOT.
  15. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,291 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    :D Hilarious, I sure hope Sean got his hot dog.
  16. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    :) It would be even funnier if I was trying to be funny.
  17. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well I could easily list 4 or 5 games where Carter showed flashes of brilliance, but I doubt that would sway your opinion. Infact it shouldn't because until he proves he can get the job done everything else is waste of time.

But I also understand that 99% of the NFL QB prospect don't play a star level. They show flashes in games here or there, but the unfamiliarity with defenses, offensive schemes, personnnel etc leads to inconsistent play.
  18. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    But decent QB can string together a few weeks in a row of good play with the occational bad game, Carter has yet to put up back to back games in 3 years. we had 10 wins but look at the numbers Carter played good in 5 and looked poor in the others. There has to be some consistantcy in his play and thus far he has shown none it is a total hit or miss with him. His current level of play may be acceptable to some but I don't think that kind of play is going to keep him in Dallas much longer if he continues as is.
  19. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Doom, stats aka numbers don't always tell the whole story.

For example the 1st Eagles game Carter's stats was pedestestrian, but the quick slant to Galloway in the 4th QTR on 3rd down iced the game . The Offense ran out the clock. Carter was horrible in the Rams game in 2002, but made 2 great plays in the final drive to move the team into FG position. The goal is to win and Carter made plays to win when they counted.

I agree that Carter is going to have to play consistently good throughout the season but you should respect how hard it is to learn the nuances of the game and play at a high level. Expecting a 1st , 2nd or 3rd year QB to play like a Pro Bowler is unrealistic.
  20. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Notice he rewrote history? It wasn't Quincy's job going into training camp last season.