1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN's JJT:Testaverde's agent: Quarterback wants to play

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Charles, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Testaverde's agent: Quarterback wants to play

Veteran could be in the clear today; minicamp begins Saturday

08:49 PM CDT on Tuesday, June 1, 2004

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING –
    Quarterback Vinny Testaverde should be a free man Wednesday, when his release from the New York Jets becomes official.

But he isn't going to be content wearing a baseball cap and holding a clipboard on the sideline.

After all, the Jets wanted him to be a third-string quarterback. Testaverde still wants to start.

"Vinny isn't going to go somewhere to be a backup," said Mike Azzarelli, his agent. "He could've stayed with the Jets and done that.

"I think he'll look at any opportunity to compete for a starting job. If that opportunity isn't out there, he'll wait."

Dallas is expected to be the leading contender for Testaverde's services, given his close relationship with coach Bill Parcells and Parcells' desire to have a veteran backup quarterback on the roster.

When the Cowboys begin their first veteran minicamp of the off-season Saturday, Quincy Carter will be the starter.

Owner Jerry Jones has also said Carter will enter training camp as the starter and is expected to be the starter when the season begins in September.

Testaverde, a 17-year veteran who will turn 41 in November, entered last season as Chad Pennington's backup, but injuries forced him into the starting lineup.

Although he participated in only 21 plays in the preseason, Testaverde completed 123 of 198 passes for 1,385 yards with seven touchdowns and two interceptions.

The Jets went 2-5 with him as a starter.

Signing Testaverde seems to make sense for both him and the Cowboys.

He played three seasons under Parcells and he has worked with offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon, so he should be familiar with the Cowboys' offense. He also has a good relationship with receiver Keyshawn Johnson.

Testaverde would also have an opportunity to mentor Carter, Drew Henson, Tony Romo and perhaps Chad Hutchinson about the intricacies of the offense and the nuances of playing for Parcells.

Testaverde led the Jets and Parcells to the AFC Championship Game in 1998, when he passed for 3,256 yards with 29 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

E-mail jjtaylor@dallasnews.com
  2. jdnalls

jdnalls New Member

1,170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If that's the case then screw him.
  3. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Whats wrong with a vet who wants to play? I sure wouldn't want a backup who was happy to sit on the bench. Unless the QB is an established star like Manning, McNair or Farve, I think the backup should push and challenge the starter every day. It should only make the team better and kill any potential complacency.
  4. jdnalls

jdnalls New Member

1,170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't mind if he wants to come here and compete for a starting spot but would be happy with being a backup if he loses out but it ends there.
  5. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's BULL, imo, that he expects to be either handed a starting job, promised the likelihood of one, or even put into a competitive camp scenario. VT's "insurance" against injury. Nothing more. Even he has to know that.

Mr. Azarelli is the master of bluff, and face saving bluff at that.

Plus he and Vinnie KNOW with Parcells it's not the "officially stated policy" that counts. It's the REALITY of who plays better, so anyone Bill brings in in any capacity has a "chance to start". Testaverde wasn't brought into NY to start either. But he fairly quickly into the season WAS starting.

Totally unncecessary but typical posturing, (well, maybe at age 41 it IS necessary). I see it as a public demonstration of Vinnie to the league's coaches that he still has confidence in his own abilities, not that he really expects to be brought in to battle anyone. Making noise as a guy who firmly believes he can still start is preferable to an old dinosaur knowing he is only bench fodder.

What's he (as ALWAYS, thru his mouthpiece) gonna say?

I'm older than Methusaleh so I'll be content to wither on the pine?

If Bill tells him, "come down here and vegetate", he'll be here two hours later. Like he should be so lucky.
  6. BadKarma

BadKarma Active Member

1,067 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Looks like he's posturing for a last decent contract.

Oh, when Bill contacts him, he'll come alright! He'll come here and like it! If he beats out QC, fine, but he's going to like the decision, whatever that may be. :D

Btw, I hope that walker will fit inside his locker. Don't they make those that fold out now?
  7. drover

drover New Member

24 Messages
    0 Likes Received

You can bet your bottom dollar that Vinny knows good and well if he comes to the Boys what he'll be doing. He also knows parcell's too, He'll have a fair shot at starting the same way they all did at the training camp last season. Who ever doesn't cut the mustard will be carring the clip board or wearing the head set. My guess is Vinny will be starting till almost mid season and then we'll get a look how Henson is. :rolleyes:
  8. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,051 Messages
    2,954 Likes Received
    I said all along I think the Giants was a better fit for him. He can start while Eli learns. He doesn't have to move. I really don't see him coming here.
  9. Hostile

119,051 Messages
    2,954 Likes Received
    They've even got seats where you can turn around and rest and bicycle style brakes with wheels. He's in tall cotton man.
  10. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    do you think we will bring anyone else in if we don't sign vinnie?
  11. Hostile

119,051 Messages
    2,954 Likes Received
    Yes, I've also been saying for a couple of months that i think it will be Kurt Warner. Notice he hasn't already packed for New York and the Giants? Notice that his agent said several teams inquired about him.

I really think he wants to come here more than any other place and will try to make that happen. I'd love for it to happen before mini camp this weekend. Let's see what he can do.
  12. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    warner would be interesting. i know he said he wants to start but he seems very unselfish and did a great job with bulger last season. the only thing that troubles me about him is that i don't know if we can protect him effectively enough for him to succeed.
  13. Hostile

119,051 Messages
    2,954 Likes Received
    I think he's finally healthy again.
  14. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,843 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    No offense, but I hope you guys are wrong on Warner. I have no interest in seeing him come to Big D. He has been banged up pretty bad the last 2 years and hasn't looked close to the player he used to be. Henson is waiting in the wings if Carter fails, Vinny just makes much more sense to me as long as this crap about him wanting to be a starter is just a ploy to get more cash.
  15. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wouldn't that be an eye opener on our current QB situation if a 40+ year old man came in an won the job from the current starter? :eek:
  16. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,547 Messages
    5,476 Likes Received
    I'm on board with this. Warner hasn't done diddly in forever (OK 3 years) and now he is supposedly healthy? Wasn't he supposed to be healthy last year and prove to everyone he could still play? Didn't he last less than 1 game? Vinny is demanding to start, well that ain't gonna happen. Warner would demand to start and bring in his darn wife. Toss in his health issues and that is 3 strikes right there. I don't know what the answer is. I am glad that BP is there to sort this out instead of the bumbling gang from before.
  17. Smith22

5,843 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    That would be a little disappointing to say the least, but I want the best QB out there. If Vinny beats him out, hopefully Henson wins the job next year.
  18. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,568 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    You have to admit Warner is intriguing because :

#1 We need a real QB

#2 Warner's got demonstrated skills

#3 He's certainly no less mobile than Testaverde

#4 If Larry Allen gets a 3rd chance because of a long healing injury, why shouldn't Warner?

I've got nothing against Testaverde and would welcome his presence, but Warner can offer just as much as Testeverde and with a much bigger upside.
  19. Smith22

5,843 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    Look at all of the QB's we have passed over so far. Why would we make a play now for a QB who definately wants to be a starter. Just don't see it. BP wants to see what Carter can do with a second year in the offense.
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,547 Messages
    5,476 Likes Received
    #1 - I agree (hopefully that player is already on our roster)
    #2 - He has not demonstrated anything since his injury
    #3 - Agreed
    #4 - LA is a lifelong Cowboy and is on board with the program now. Warner has no history with us.

I'll just be glad when BP sorts this out and we don't have to hash this out over and over each day.