1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN's Matt Mosley: McNabb steering Carter on course

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Charles, May 19, 2004.

1. Tsgt Hendricks

Tsgt Hendricks Benched

253 Messages
    0 Likes Received

ssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't say stuff like that. LOL

Dont' worry about it, brush your shoulders off, Carter will. He'll put an end to all that kind of talk.
  2. Tsgt Hendricks

Tsgt Hendricks Benched

253 Messages
    0 Likes Received

ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh please do not intimate that it is nothing but his play.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,767 Likes Received
    Teams win games indiviual help but teams win games, If you throw 3 ints and your team won 10-0 did that QB actually help you win that game? or did the team win despite the fact the QB had a bad game. As for some dropped passes and or blown blocking assignment those player should and are held accountable for their play why do you think Gurode got benched for a game? Carter though too should be held accountable for a lot of poor plays that were his and his alone.
  4. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received

It's been that way ever since he was drafted, and it will never change. Why should it bother you? QC knows he has a fair shot under Parcells and so does everybody on the team. And god forbid people actually compare his play based on watching games rather than pure statistics. Oh well...long way to TC.
  5. Dorsett33

Dorsett33 Member

166 Messages
    5 Likes Received

I can respect that, but do you see Gurode getting talked about like Carter? Listen, every quarterback in the league is going to have a bad game. Carter is young. He's still learning the game. Not to mention the fact that he has the same offense as he did last year. If 5 years down the road, Carter throws a 3 int game, does that mean he sucks again?? If that's the case, then why do people give Aikman all the praises? To me, he was good, but not great. The people around him made Aikman. I was just wondering why people are really hard on QC. It just doesn't add up.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    On the Oakland Raiders do you see Frank Middleton talked about as much as Rich Gannon?

On the Green Bay Packers do you see Marco Rivera talked about as much as Brett Favre?

On the New York Giants do you see Rich Seubert talked about as much as Eli Manning?

People praise Aikman for 3 Super Bowl wins. If you doubt this check out what people thought of John Elway before and after he won 2 Super Bowls but had lost 3 of them. If you doubt this look closely at the only criticism of Peyton Manning.

It is a fact of life that the spotlight shines hardest on the QB.

I recommend steel toed boots to protect glass toes.
  7. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,767 Likes Received
    They give Aikman praise because he lived up to the billing, I think his numbers would have been a lot better in a different style of offense but he played within what the Cowboys were trying to do and he did his job very successfully and thus the team itself was very successful, in the biggest games Troy was able to come though with some hugh games, had Troy failed in the big games I'm sure there would have been a lot of heat coming down on him just as it has happened to every other Dallas QB. As for the reason Carter appears to get a lot more abuse is the fact that many of us agree that Hambrick needed to go or Ekuban needed to go but when it comes to Carter there are 2 different views that are strongly felt by both sides. Not to mention the importantce of the QB position in the game of football.
  8. Dorsett33

Dorsett33 Member

166 Messages
    5 Likes Received

Maybe I don't know that those other players are being talked about because I don't go to their teams boards. I was referring to this board. I never said that the QB is not in the spot light. But, for a QB to be good, or great, he has to have a supporting cast. Would Aikman have taken Dallas to the Super Bowl last year? Very doubtful. I even doubt that his numbers would be too much better than QC's. No one will argue that Marino was great. He didn't win a superbowl. And do you have to win a superbowl to be great?? I don't think so. Cause I can bring up the name Trent Dilfer and he's far from it. My point is, why can't some people see the improvements of Carter? It's like some people don't want to see him improve. Because he's definitely improved whether you want to accept it or not.
  9. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,767 Likes Received
    Ok how many more years until he proves he can be a great QB for this team? 3 more? 4 more? Teams do not have the time to wait 6 or 7 years for a guy to develope especially in this day and age of salary caps. Or is it your willing to accept less than great from our QB position? Dallas has the franchise record it has because they have never settled for less than when it comes to the QB spot Carter is going to get his oppertunity once again but he is far from securing the job as the future of the Cowboys. Now if he goes out there and produces some quality numbers then I will take back every negitive thing I have said because at least Carter would have proved it on the field
  10. Dorsett33

Dorsett33 Member

166 Messages
    5 Likes Received

But, it took Aikman a supporting cast to get their. I admit, you are in the spot light when you are the QB. Look at Carter's young career, he's won some big games. My point is that he's improved. What makes people think that he won't get better each year. There are so many varables to any player being good. QB is no different. I can remember last year when people were saying that if the Cowboys win 8 games under QC, it would be a miracle. Well, he surpassed that with 10. Is he great? No. Is he good? No. He's an average QB that's getting better. And a lot of people don't see that. I respect their opinion, but when people say that he can't get any better and so forth, their seems to be something else that their upset with. Maybe they are and I just don't know what it is. That's why Im trying to get the understanding.
  11. Hostile

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    Frank Middleton was not part of Gannon's supporting cast when they went to the Super Bowl?

Man, I hate to be the one to have to tell him that.

Would Aikman have taken Dallas to the Super Bowl last year? Well, I don't usually meander into the fantasy realm, but I will make an exception. During his prime years, I think he would have at least made us a very threatening contender and we certainly would have been better. In his 2003 condition, nope. Does this matter to me? Not really.

Why can't some people see improvement in Carter? I can't answer that. Can you answer this one for me? What has he done that is proof we are set at QB for years to come?

You see, I am just as confused about that. I truly don't get the free pass mentality.

Finally on people supporting him. I truly detested Ebenezer Ekuban. Every snap I was rooting for him and anyoen else ont eh field to do their best to get to the QB. That isn't support? Please tell me why?

Having doubts does not or should not equal out to a belief that any fan on this forum WANTS Q to fail. No one on here wants him to fail. There are some who simply have doubts he can achieve very much more than he has already shown.

There is a difference.

Has he improved? In some ways, sure he has. Is it proof he is destined to lead us anywhere? Of course not. Long way to go still.
  12. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,767 Likes Received
    I understand that it takes others but what is happening is people around here are blaming all of Carter screw ups on others and he has contributed quite a few mistakes on his own. As for as QC being an average QB I'll go along with that but in Dallas Average QB is not what many of us look for. Let the Cinn of the world have the average QB they are losers anyways we are not and we should demand more. As for Carter getting better again I saw little improvement in his play, I'm not talking about our W/L I'm talking about his play and his play did not show great improvement if it did the stats would reflect that as well and they don't
  13. Hostile

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    The speculation works both ways Bro.

Have you ever heard of Brian Griese? He too followed a legend at QB. His first 3 years in Denver he put up some decent numbes. Improved every year.

Paul Harvey would tell you the rest of the story. I'll simply tell you that sometimes minor imporvements aren't enough for you to keep your job. he was replaced in Denver by a guy who had never had numbers to equal his.

It is not all about the numbers. Sometimes there are intangibles.

I believe that is what we have here in Dallas. This is why there will continue to be speculation and doubts.
  14. Dorsett33

Dorsett33 Member

166 Messages
    5 Likes Received

Name me a QB that was great in 3 years. I can't think of one. It's not going to happen. It's not that I'm willing to accept less from our QB position. But what makes people think Henson will be great? The guys hasn't thrown a football competively in what, four years? We've never settled for less with a RB. I didn't see this much pub for Hambrick last year. We shouldn't settle for less with any position. Superbowls aren't won in the first year of a QB. We have to be patient.
  15. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,767 Likes Received
    By year 3 Troy was doing a very good job. Others Marino, Montana, Favre, Brady, Bleadsoe I can continue if you like there are many others I can name
  16. Dorsett33

Dorsett33 Member

166 Messages
    5 Likes Received

Can you really compare any QB to any past QB, and think he's going to follow that pattern? I don't think so. A lot of people weren't thinking about his individual numbers last year. All I seen was, if QC can get us to X amount of wins. Now, it's all about his numbers. To me, he put up good numbers to not have a running back or receivers that consistently caught the ball. Or, even a good offensive line. Besides, I'd rather see wins than good numbers any day of the week. Aikman very rarely put up stellar numbers.
  17. Dorsett33

Dorsett33 Member

166 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    They were doing a good job. Which to me, means, not great, but getting better than the previous year. None of them were great by year three. In year three, QC is getting better. Did any of the above mentioned get better? Of course. They added help in most of the surrounding positions. Will QC get better? Maybe, maybe not. I'll put my money on that he will because of his work ethic, the supporting cast we're putting around him, and him being in the same offense as last year for the first time.
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I've posted earlier the stats of Superbowl winning QB's and how they generally all had negative TD:INT ratios by their 3rd year in the league. Generally, none of them had career QB ratings of 80+ or above after their 3rd year. There only only a few extreme exceptions, Montana and Brady. But quarterbacks with multiple SB rings, like Aikman, Simms and Elway, were not among those excpetions. Not only were the stats ignored by the group that seems to falsely believes that greatness emerges by the 3rd year, but the post was deleted. Why even bother posting them again. Everyone on this board should have a browser and access to www.pro-football-reference.com. If you spend half as much time looking up numbers of the "greats' after their 3rd year in the league as you spent rehashing the same old arguments all the time, you would find that most of your theories are based on revisionist history.
  19. Hostile

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    Dan Marino

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

I'll predict greatness for Byron Leftwich already. It can happen. Not at all impossible.
  20. Hostile

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    I'm not sure where you translate what I said to this speculation. Can you draw me a line? I don't get it.