1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Do the Broncos prove that old style football isn't dead?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheDallasDon, Jan 9, 2012.

1. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,520 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    That the old school way of playing football is not dead after all???
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    It prove it if your QB is built like a FB. :laugh2:

Most teams are not going to put their QB in harms way with Tebow that is just part of his game. Even among spread formation offense most of the QB's are not going to survive the hits
  3. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,687 Messages
    1,761 Likes Received
    It proves if you have a good defense and oline, even a team with a QB who can't complete half his passes can still win.
  4. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,046 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    I'd been wondering for a couple of years if you could take something like an old single wing or shotgun offense and grab a couple of those college QBs who weren't up to NFL standards, and run a viable scheme.

Apparantly, you can.

Will be interesting to see what Denver's offense looks like next year, after a full offseason to work, teach, and plan.
  5. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,513 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    Pretty much what Doomsday said.

Tebow has his flaws but he's built like a tank, 99% of QBs wouldn't survive running that offense for an entire game.
  6. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Thing is Pitt went in with the additude of stopping the run having LB and safety playing close. Denver countered it with less than high precentage passing by getting the ball down the field. his completion precentage was not great but then when you throw a lot of deep passes it is not going to be as high. One other thing Tebow had several balls that were dropped and he did not throw any picks.
  7. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,954 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    You're not going to find many QBs who are built like Tebow to take the beating game in and game out that your QB would have to take in that kind of offense.

Trying this in a large part across the league would be a complete disaster.
  8. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    True, Tebow is more of the exception to the rule clearly not the rule. I know damn well I don't want Romo doing it. :laugh2:
  9. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Denver has destroyed the notion you need a good QB to win.
  10. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,946 Messages
    451 Likes Received
    [youtube]zMK9FKMG3Nc[/youtube]​
  11. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ugly, but effective

[youtubehd]qvWZajk2hXE&hd=1[/youtubehd]
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    It is not popular but the old school approach can still win games . The 49ers is a better example than Denver . As much as I despise the 49ers , I really like the team that they have put together .
  13. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,392 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    I think what we'll see in about 5 years is that teams will be so geared to stop the Green Bay's, New England's, etc on defense and other teams will try to copy their 'spread 'em out and throw' schemes that it will leave a gaping hole for a team that will utilize more of a standard formations (21 personnel or 11 personnel under center) and utilize some creative ways to run block and throw off play action. I think some coach will figure out that there is a flaw to having all of these players on defense play from a 2-point stance and that you can run the ball at will if you can figure out new ways to run block. That and you'll save your QB from taking a beating and keep your defense fresh.

I think part of the problem is that coaches start to think that if they are down by a touchdown against a team like Green Bay that they have to start throwing like crazy in order to keep up with Green Bay's high powered offense. But in reality they are just playing into Green Bay's hands. It's almost akin to a basketball team thinking that they need to run a fast paced offense to stick with some powerhouse team that is great at running the fast break. More often than not, you'll get ran off the court.

Strangely, football coaches don't understand that.

Furthermore, the history of the game shows that defensive players are more likely to get injured than offensive players. So a HC smart enough to balance out the offense will not only keep his defense fresh, but keep them from getting injured. And like I said, his QB will also have less opportunities of getting injured as well.

It may not produce blowout wins and record breaking offensive performances, but it might wind up being the easiest way for a team to just win ball games. And I think Jim Harbaugh may have started to figure this out already.

YR
  14. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    Is that guy serious?

"Here's why Tim Tebow sucks"......and he shows a play where he wins the game.
  15. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,078 Messages
    696 Likes Received
    Tebow has started 12 games for the Broncos. In the past 11 games, the team that was more effective at passing the ball won the game. The only time that wasn't true was Tebow's first start, when neither quarterback was very effective and Denver won in overtime.

Tebow hasn't always looked great throwing the ball, but he has averaged 13.7 yards per completion and rarely throws interceptions.

This just reiterates that it doesn't matter how often you throw the ball -- if you can throw it more effectively than your opponent, you'll almost always win. If not, you'll almost always lose.
  16. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That old "retread" John Fox just won himself a playoff game by the way.

In Denver!
  17. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,284 Messages
    2,469 Likes Received
    Then why don't the Cowboys win more games?
  18. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Maybe so but it also shows by being able to run the ball it forced Pitt to play guys up in the line of scrimmage even safeties to stop it leaving the oppertunity for the big plays. I think running and passing can go hand in hand. If Denver can't run then Pitt is not going to cheat up on the line as they did.
  19. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Broncos proved that the AFC is a weak conference.
  20. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The trick to winning with a balanced attack is having an OL that can run AND pass block effectively.