1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Do we even have a 4th CB on the roster?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

26,003 Messages
    19,278 Likes Received
    Mike, I don't know if I love to hate you or hate to love you. :)
  2. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

10,308 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    my only argument is that in ryans sytem the #4 CB actually plays...like, ALOT...more than any of those other positions you listed..save for maybe TE..that is also a huge need..especially in our system..

this team is screwed..for at least 1 or 2 more years..its impossible to fill all of these holes this yr
  3. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

739 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    Gilmore from South Carolina is the CB I would like to see the 'Boys get.
  4. Risen Star

26,003 Messages
    19,278 Likes Received
    He's been a late riser that a lot of guys have going solidly in the first round now. Mel even mentioned him to Dallas at 14 as a possibility.
  5. Risen Star

26,003 Messages
    19,278 Likes Received
    I don't agree we're screwed for a couple of years. Take a look at the Champs this year. They have their flaws. Look at the team they barely beat for the title. Their defense is almost non existent.

We can contend next year with the right upgrades.

IMO, they missed their chance in FA. Now I have to hope value meets need early in the draft. Because right now this team isn't good enough at the line of scrimmage to seriously compete with the best.
  6. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Right now, I'm thinking if the Cowboys are looking for a corner in the draft, the 3rd round range is about right... you'd have Chase Minnifield from Virginia, whose stock has dropped fairly sharply because tight hamstrings limiting his effectiveness in his workouts... I'm not too worried about that, though, I've seen Chase play maybe 10 or 12 games, and he's a legit 4.4-4.45 40 player on the field...

Or if you wanted to go big, you have Trumaine Johnson from Montana... then there's a player who's reportedly a favorite of Ryan's, Leonard Johnson from Iowa... yeah, you can find some nice value at cornerback in the 3rd round in this draft...

Even in the 4th round, you'd likely be looking at Casey Heyward, Josh Norman or Shaun Prater...

I'd like to add another corner in the draft, but I don't see a need to do it in the first two rounds...
  7. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Hmmmm, interesting... even with 3 good corners under contract, you'd draft 2 more corners??

To play devil's advocate here, once again the depth of this corner class seems to extend late into the draft... here's some interesting names to me in the 6th round:

Coryell Judie, Texas A&M

Asa Jackson, Cal Poly... the Boys have shown some interest in him...

Donnie Fletcher, Boston College... terrific size for a corner, surprised everybody by running a 4.4 flat 40 at his Pro Day... some project him to safety, but I think he's fast enough to stay on the corner...

And some 7th round prospects:

Ron Brooks, LSU... the Cowboys have shown interest in him, too...

Chris Greenwood, Albion... small school player with terrific size/speed ratio, is rising the NFLDS charts rapidly the last week or so...

Robert Golden, Arizona... has put some of the concerns about his speed to rest with a 4.45 posting in the 40... another who might project to safety...

I guess if the Boys decided to add Donnie Fletcher late, we could find a use for him...
  8. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

10,308 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    what are your top 3 choices at 14?
  9. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Decastro, Cox, Mercilus...
  10. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

34,997 Messages
    5,044 Likes Received
    Obviously the team has a lot of needs that a quality 3rd round pick would solve... TE... WR... Center.

But Minnifield would be a great pickup.
  11. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

34,997 Messages
    5,044 Likes Received
    I think the odds are real good that one corner will be drafted. I mean Jenkins is on the last year of his contract and he's had injury problems so the drafting of one corner is probably a sure thing.

But adding another corner?

Yeah I could see that. Right now there are 3 corners on the roster who have experience... And then nothing.

If the Cowboys added a vet, then I'd back off the 2nd drafted corner thing.
  12. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

14,171 Messages
    1,182 Likes Received
    If any of them have return skills that would be a win...
  13. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,061 Messages
    257 Likes Received
    I like Gilmore, but he ain't that good.