1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Do we need a Bailout for the Bailout?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JBond, Oct 7, 2008.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    To all the big supporters of giving 700 Billion to the crooks that stole money, embezzled, cooked books and got loans no one else could get, how are you liking the bailout now?

How much should we spend on the bailout of the bailout?

Insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,692 Messages
    2,707 Likes Received
    How many here actually liked the bailout.

I can only think of maybe one that really liked it and I don't even remember that persons name right now.

I think by and large the majority, no matter what side of the political spectrum the lean, seemed to think it was a terrible thing.
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,469 Messages
    3,307 Likes Received
    It was theogt and everybody thought he was looney... lol
  4. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,712 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Add my name to the list then.
  5. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But, you have to admit, doing nothing would have froze not just our lending institutions but institutions all over the world. We saw yesterday China fell off the face of the earth and so did Russia. All of Europe is in financial gridlock because no one can borrow. We really don't know how this will turn out but doing nothing was just a scary.
  6. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,712 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    What he said.

The bailout wasn't about getting the Dow up a few points. It was about preventing a complete economic collapse.
  7. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,469 Messages
    3,307 Likes Received
    No one thought doing nothing was a good idea. Just didn't like the idea of what had to be done.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

59,692 Messages
    2,707 Likes Received
    You don't count.

You have not posted enough back here to be officially vetted.

;) :p:

On a serious note, I was talking about the people who normally post back here and I only remembered one really liking it.

By liking it I don't mean...hating the idea but knowing it probably had to be done just so there is no confusion here.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    According to who? I know of no professional economist who supported the 700 Bill as a viable solution to preventing a recession or depression.
  10. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,712 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I'm an economist, all I really care about is the economy :(

I've been reading but not getting involved in everything else.

EDIT: And I don't know how anyone can *like* doing this.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    Cross me off that knowing it had to be done list thing. I was in favor of letting the market correct itself.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

59,692 Messages
    2,707 Likes Received
    NO!!!

You are staying on the list and you are going to like staying on the list.

So there!!
  13. ABQCOWBOY

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received

Well, something clearly going to have to give here. You know BP, I only just did climb back in off the ledge.

:laugh2:
  14. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,700 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    There really was no good answer...

I blame our government for the entire ordeal... both sides, Joe Leberman and Bernie Sanders...
  15. BrAinPaiNt

59,692 Messages
    2,707 Likes Received
    Since your Username starts with an A...I am putting you at the head of the list so EVERYBODY can see you.

However, I am willing to give you some valium to help out some.

You will do, what I say, when I say...BACK TO THE FRONT (old metallic lyrics).
  16. ABQCOWBOY

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    I've been recalled. Who knew?

:eek::
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,953 Messages
    1,548 Likes Received
    And doing something for the sake of doing it can make matters worse. Right now the Fed chairman is saying how things are now worse than we thought. There was no debate, no different views by people who actually have a back ground in economics and none were brought to the table. To throw away 700 or 800 Billion was foolish. The feds could have put short term measure in place to allow more time to come up with a real solution for both the short term and long term. Throwing money at a problem seldom fixes anything.
  18. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,274 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Joe Leiberman is on both sides.
  19. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,700 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    not that there's anything wrong with that...
  20. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,707 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    People have unrealistic expectations. Did anyone actually believe that the Dow was going to rebound to 14000 because of the bailout? This is the problem with all of the reporting of the bailout bill and the financial crisis. Most people haven't a clue as to what's going on and what it does, much less how its effects will play out.

The reality is the guy overseeing TARP was just appointed YESTERDAY. It takes time. The bailout is going to take us from a 5-10 year recovery to a 2-5 year recovery.

But I'm glad this provides the know-nothings with the opportunity to say, "I told you it wouldn't work!" It just reminds me how little they know.