1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Do we need to draft a WR?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,810 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    While i'm not saying we should take one in the first, as we shouldn't, I believe we should look at one in the 2nd. Why? Well with Dez's continuously proving the pre-draft concerns valid and with Miles back to back mid-season injuries and subsequent declines in performance we need to begin to think about getting some depth behind them. Many of you will say that if you calculate in Laurent Robinson into that we are fine, while that is true do you really believe we will be able to keep him? He showed enough last year that other teams may believe he may be the answer as a #1 WR. We can't pay 3 #1 WR's, and there is no way Laurent is coming for less than 5m if not more, and I believe it's more.

So should we target a WR in the 2nd or 3rd, and if so who? I am looking at Mohammed Sanu if he somehow falls, if not I am liking Nick Toon, for those of you that don't know much about Toon he plays alot like Jordy Nelson. Also if we get within striking distance of Alshon Jeffrey in the late first/early second I would absolutely try to go up and get him.
  2. Dmoore Esq

Dmoore Esq Member

170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I love BJ Cunningham. I'd like to get a WR, but it certainly has to be a guy you think is a great value based on where you're getting him.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,180 Messages
    2,763 Likes Received
    If we sign Robinson I'd rather wait until day 3. The real question is do we believe either Harris, Holley or Radway look like future NFL WR's? The answer to that question completely changes my approach to drafting WR's.
  4. Cowboy Brian

11,810 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    But if we can't sign Robinson what would you do? Then WR is looking like a need. If we keep Robinson than waiting for day 3 is quite obvious unless something ridiculous like Jeffrey falling to us in the 2nd happens.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,802 Messages
    876 Likes Received
    Stick to your board. Draft scout has 31 WRs with draftable grades, if one falls you really like, take him. With that much depth at the position guys are bound to fall.
  6. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Eh wait til we see how free agency plays out. If we lose Robinson and don't replace him with a free agent then I'd consider taking someone in the 3rd or 4th round at the earliest, as long as Oline/Dline is drafted first.
  7. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No.

We have one of the best recieving cores in the NFL. We have other pressing needs.
  8. Cowboy Brian

11,810 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    To use a word I hate we have the most talented receiving core in the league. However in practice Miles has collapsed mid season in back to back years, Dez has proven to not be the brightest tool in the box and Laurent may not be back.
  9. Cowboy Brian

11,810 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    Thing with this class is while their is only 1 elite wr prospect with Blackmon their are quite a bit of #2 WR prospects, you have to grab them in the 2nd.
  10. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,926 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    I really don't think any GM is dumb enough to mistake Robinson for a #1 or 2 and spend top dollar. He's was a great system guy for us this year who gained the trust of a good QB. I don't see him going anywhere, so no I wouldn't draft a wr before the 5th.

And I would only take a wr who is good at kick/punt returns as well. Other than that they would just be a waste of a roster spot.
  11. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well free agency begins in March right? So we should know if Robinson will be resigned or not before the draft.*
  12. Cowboy Brian

11,810 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    All that must be said is that Carson Palmer got traded for 2 firsts. Antonio Bryant got a deal that is above what we would pay for Laurent and didn't end up playing a game with the Bengals, and he proved less than Laurent did.
  13. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Just cut Miles and everything will be fine . We just need heathy players.:rolleyes:
  14. Dmoore Esq

Dmoore Esq Member

170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How's he a system guy? We signed him off the street. He played tremendously well for a guy that wasn't in camp with us.

I like how Green Bay values the WR position. They have tremendous depth and seem to draft guys every year. If we get someone, I'd like them to have a different skill set than the guys we currently have. BJ Cunningham runs great routes and would be a nice possession guy to move the chains. There could be a fit for a small burner type who could help in the return game. We have very talented starters, but I just don't like how our offense looks when Austin or Bryant goes down. It used to be that was when Witten would step up and carry us, but I just don't know if he's that kind of player any more.
  15. Cowboy Brian

11,810 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    Thank you for your report.
  16. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    What big injury did Miles have in 2010? I think his production declined due to bad OL play and because Kitna was afraid or unable to push the ball downfield last year. The main beneficiaries were the RBs and TEs whose production went up when Romo came in.

Miles should be fine next year. Woicik will work hard on him with strengthening his hamstrings (there are studies showing work on eccentric strengthening of hamstrings decreased hamstring injuries by 70% compared to normal training - result only came out in November 2011) and his issues should resolve.

I think a combination of a healthy Miles and a more mature Dez will be devastating next year. Miles will be back to 1300 yards and I expect Dez to put up about the same next year now that his routes are better and Romo is starting to trust him more. A full offseason with Jimmy Robinson should do wonders for his game.

If Robinson becomes too expensive we can probably steal a good WR from a team with bad QB play on the cheap again and turn him into a star. I just hope we ink the guy to a 3-year deal this time so we can avoid a bidding war on him next year.

Now in terms of bringing in other WRs, I wouldn't invest a high pick there. We still have Holmes, Harris and Radway as developmental guys that we like with Harris being the shifty guy, Holmes the big guy who imposes matchup problems and Radway being the guy with the speed (assuming he has recovered from his injury). I'd be open to signing someone in the 4th round or later if he is clearly the BPA but otherwise I'd be happy not to draft anyone.
  17. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I was messing with you .:p:
  18. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,653 Messages
    1,114 Likes Received
    It seems that either MIles or Dez is always hurt. This team needs a #3 who is capable of coming in and starting. That could be Robinson. But if we lose him, I wouldn't trust that role to a guy who comes in the 3rd or 4th round.
  19. Cowboy Brian

11,810 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    That is somewhat my point. If we lose Robinson WR is a need.
  20. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    It just doesn't make sense to draft ANOTHER skill position player with a high draft pick. You drafted Dez in the 1st round and gave Miles a big contract. They might be injury prone but that's the bed they made and they have to live with it. We can't have flashy players 4 deep at every position. This team has too many holes at other important positions...to draft a WR that early would be another fail.