1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Do we sign a tackle or draft one?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dantheman41, Feb 2, 2013.

1. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    I am assuming Free is released. Do we sign a veteran to compete with Parnell for starting right tackle or do we draft one somewhere in draft?
  2. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,146 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    I go with a vet at tackle because I think Parnell could be the answer but want to hedge my bets, then draft an interior starter in the first round. You can usually get one of the top two interior guys at the point we're drafting, but the best OTs are usually drafted higher.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    I'd rather sign an G and draft a tackle just for the money aspect. A very good G is probably cheaper than an average OT, so you could probably get more back for your buck going with the G in FA and the OT in the draft provided one is available.

I've said it before, if Dallas is looking for an OT they should take the best one available regardless of what side that player projects to. Put the best OT out there and let Tyron play the other position, be it RT or LT.

Tyron can play both so I think the smart move is to get the best combination of OTs possible and let the dice fall how they may. I see no reason to go one-track-mind on the Tyron at LT simply because we all desire that he develop there. And lets be honest, he didn't do as well at LT as he did at RT in 2011. Now, he's the kind of guy who you think can be a very good LT so you don't move him back simply because he can be a RT better because if he gets to his level of play from his rookie season only at LT, you've got a franchise player.

I've also had some thoughts about maybe getting a guy who plays LT and flipping him to RT. There's always talk of going the other way but presumably a guy who could play LT would be able to play RT, wouldn't he?

I'm not talking get a stud LT and move him to RT because that'd be a little wasteful but if Dallas could get a second tier or maybe even a third tier LT who doesn't really project to the NFL as well at LT and then flip him to RT, you might get a better player than a equally rated RT who has a decent projection to RT.

I think Dallas has some options at OT because Tyron can play either. Personally, if you could guarantee me that a LT in FA or the draft that could give me solid play, I'd take him in a moment and have Tyron go back to RT where he can be one of the top players at that position. In an ideal world Tyron we could count on him being a top LT but he's still got some time before I think we can expect that. I think this would give Dallas the best possible OL because I don't think any RT could give you what Tyron could but Dallas might be in a position to snag one of the 2nd tier LTs who presumably wouldn't be all that worse than where Tyron was at for 2012. I doubt you'd expect less than average from a 1st rounder and Tyron was right about there.
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,133 Messages
    4,330 Likes Received
    Preach it Hoof!
  5. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,405 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    I personally think that we should draft an offensive tackle in the first round, assuming that we have an OT rated that high that fits our system unless the BPA is clearly a much better value. Not only does it help us out at a position of need, but it helps keep our salary cap healthy as well.
  6. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I can't believe all the hatered for Free

guys I don't see spending any money on a FA OT

and really don't see Free ever being released

now at OG I could see signing a FA

Chad Rinehart, G, Bills. Age: 28. [IMG][IMG]
    Chad Rinehart did a phenomenal job replacing Andy Levitre in 2011 when the stud guard had to move around in the wake of injuries to Eric Wood and Demetress Bell. Unfortunately, Rinehart missed most of 2012 with an ankle injury.

Antoine Caldwell already plays in a zone blocking scheme
  7. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    well you ASSUMING is wrong IMO
  8. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,540 Messages
    3,828 Likes Received

Excellente!
  9. elcocinero

elcocinero Member

482 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Typically Offensive Tackles are overvalued in the draft while Guards and Centers are undervalued. You can typically get the 1st or 2nd best interior offensive lineman with the 18th pick, but you may get the 4th best tackle.

If a solid first round grade tackle is in your lap at 18, then you have to take him as there is a good change you can get a very good player at guard or center in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. But, I wouldnt reach for a tackle that has a 2nd round grade at 18.
  10. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Why not both?
  11. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,154 Messages
    2,785 Likes Received
    Parnell will be the starter.

The backup could be a lower cost FA pickup.

I do expect the Cowboys to draft a developmental OT.
  12. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,849 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Free was awful good at helping Tony up.:D
  13. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    I'm not a hater of Free. I watched him closely last few games and I thought he played really well. Was much more aggressive and attacking in the run game especially. I am going off of what the DC media is saying. Broaddus and few others have already said he will not be on roster next year. And to be honest it sounds like its a decision they already made, not that I agree or disagree.

I don't get the drafting a tackle higher then an interior player either. If Parnell is potentially something, I think we draft either a mid round player or a younger veteran to compete with him for starting spot. Don't think they just give him the spot
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,607 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    did you watch Free try to play?
  15. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

916 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    I don't like that plan. But yeah, that's what I expect as well.

Not really sold on Parnell as a starter. Not for a full season.
  16. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    How about Phil Loadholt from the vikes?
  17. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,540 Messages
    3,828 Likes Received
    I watched him play on the all22 some but not a lot. He wasn't as bad as I thought initially but he's not a top flight OT at either spot. You can't get by the $8M a year or is it $11M. He's not worth that so unless there is a good reason he's not playing well enough then he'll have to address his contract.

Where that goes will determine the draft. I still think they will go after a FA OT if the price is right. If they land one then they can modify their draft needs.
  18. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,107 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    deep draft at DT--I'd take the best OL in the first and maybe in the second too--Free on a good line is still overpriced but maybe good enough
  19. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,154 Messages
    2,785 Likes Received
    I take the best players available in rounds 1 & 2... regardless of the position.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,607 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    no one really goes BPA no matter what they claim. teams have several players of nearly equal value at all times