1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Do You Agree With Drew About WR's?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,909 Likes Received
    Really depends you have holes to fill so in doing this you create even more holes to fill. If all Dallas brings back is Dez and Harris then Dallas will be looking for WR likely in the draft.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    I understand where you are going here but this is the same line of thought that convinced us to go with Clayton as a starter in 08. That resulted in a 39 catch, 550 yard, 4 TD season. That, in turn, eventually lead to a Roy Williams trade, which as we all know, worked out pretty terribly for us. I'm not saying that Harris will be Clayton but I am saying that it's a mistake for us to assume Harris can be the #2 we can rely on before he's even proven he can be the #3 WR for an entire season. Jerry's track record in these types of situations is horrible and I have no desire to set ourselves up for another demonstration of that behavior.
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,466 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Yup.

That is the order you'd rate them in right now for value to the team.

1. Dez
    2. Harris
    3. Miles
    4. Cole
    5. KO

I'd release Miles who is no longer the gym rat and hungry player he was early in his career.

You then find a cheap FA player with NFL know how to come in and play some snaps for you. A guy like Donald Driver may work. OR you can go with guys like Johnny Knox who are coming off injuries but have that laurent robinson breakout potential.
  4. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,353 Messages
    385 Likes Received
    True. And that's the dilemma. I guess it all depends on how disappointed Jerry & co. are with Miles' play - if at all. But there's no way you can simply cut Miles and go with what you have on the roster. Harris looks to be able to grow into a good #2-3 WR. The team would need to add another WR of that ilk.
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,466 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    which is why you want to sign a cheapish fa who has proven he can start even if he isnt doing it this second due to injury or great depth elsewhere.
  6. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,353 Messages
    385 Likes Received
    True. But that's why i said you would have to go out and acquire another player who could legitimately round out the top 3. So while you may not have a Miles Austin at #2, your overall depth 1-3 potentially would be better. The bigger problem in 2007 was expecting Sam Hurd to be a solid #3.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    I understand the plan, I question the execution. We tried this for years before Miles and Dez. We ended up in cap hell, empty draft slots and failed production. I understand what your saying but our track record does not convince me that we can execute the plan.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    I get it. It's just a matter of confidence in our ability to go out and actually do this.
  9. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,790 Messages
    5,198 Likes Received
    harris is a solid #3. nothing more.
  10. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Miles is far more dangerous than Harris. And the nonsense about him not attacking the ball in the air is just a kneejerk reaction from Sunday. Until recently he attacked the ball in the air better than Dez, when healthy he still might. Go ask the Giants DBs if Miles attacks the ball in the air.

The legitimate criticism of Miles is that we can't count on him to stay on the field. Then again, where was Dez on our final drives?

Harris is dependable but he doesn't have anywhere near the raw talent.
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,466 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    When did we try it?

We traded for RW11 and Joey Galloway before him. We signed the best WR available in T.O.

When have we tried a mid-level FA at WR? Seems to me it has been years.
  12. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

651 Messages
    98 Likes Received

I agree but you HAVE to bring back Beasley, watching a olf NFL files special on garretts offense. If done correct with Beasley in the slot could make him a NIGHTMARE for out opponents.

As for Miles this "injury" thing aint new before he was a starter and returning kick off he missed two seasons with injuries
  13. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Terry Glenn was the last I can think of, Rocket maybe.

I think that it is silly to try and cut Miles. If we get down to it and he is a cap casualty then so be it. I don't think you can assemble a wr corp better than Dez, Miles, Harris without spending a high draft pick or spending your cap savings on a FA wide out.
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,155 Messages
    4,341 Likes Received
    They may have finished the year that way but it won't like that in 6 months.
  15. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,958 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    100% the truth, Pearson is a dbag.
  16. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    The biggest question is why we continue to insist on putting Ogletree on the field.

Oh that's right, John Garrett coached there. :rolleyes:
  17. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,530 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:
    Where was Dez on the final drive? Oh that's right he couldn't walk had to be rolled out in a wheelchair and needed help getting dressed and went to the hospital. That is a dumb question man. If he could've rolled the wheelchair out there and played I am sure he would've. This guy plays through pain and doesn't need to rest 4 games because of a hang nail.
  18. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    lol ok glad you can dismiss Miles' injuries so easily. I'm sure if your bias was reversed you'd be killing Dez for sitting out on the game's most critical plays with menstrual cramps.

I, on the other hand, have no desire to downplay people's injuries. I'm sure if Miles could have gone when he was injured he would have. Dez too. The point is Miles isn't our only receiver who can't stay on the field. Try not to take personal offense to such a simple statement.
  19. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,278 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    you are not going to find a cheapish free agent who can start. You need two starting receivers in the NFL now. While Miles has been hurt a lot, you are not going to be able to replace his production on the cheap side. I think Harris needs one more year to take over for Miles.
  20. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,530 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    Didn't dismiss miles injury. I pointed out that there was noway for DEZ to be on the field when he couldn't even stand. Sorry I wouldn't call an injury to the back as "menstrual cramps". As someone who is dealing with a back injury and having to have surgery on my spine at a young age it's very dangerous. I wouldn't compare a muscle strain that Miles seems to get every year and miss 4-7 games to a potentially dangerous situation. Oh and if I recall Dez was still out playing the "pulled muscle" with a broken finger. Nice try on the call out. Offense? I am not offended at all actually I couldn't believe someone would try and call Dez out after knowing he had to go to the hospital and be taken out in a wheelchair.