1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Do you guys think Garrett needs to get more aggressive with the officials?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,790 Messages
    5,202 Likes Received
    We never seem to get the benefit of the calls. We got screwed twice on big big plays on Sunday. At what point do you drop the Landry act and go off on one of these zebras? You don't have to be a cry baby like Coughlin (although I think his act helps his team) but it would be nice to see Garrett fight for his players a little more.
  2. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,662 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    I think the players on offense and playcalling needs to get more aggressive. And stick with the damn run. Not really concerned about the coach whining to officials about bad calls. Play the game and win. No need for a "Call" to go the Cowboys way at all.
  3. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

1,871 Messages
    1,498 Likes Received
    Garrett seems very passive in general during the game this season. Even more than usual not even doing as much cheerleading. I get the distinct impression he may be close to checking out and getting himself ready to job search in the offseason. I hope I'm wrong
  4. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

1,116 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    Yes. I think he should be more aggressive protesting very bad calls but I don't think it's in his personality.
  5. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,826 Messages
    1,874 Likes Received
    I don't have a problem with his demeanor or the sidelines. He is who he is!

Some of these coaches are comical. I kind of like the stoic guys more for some reason.
  6. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,272 Messages
    1,166 Likes Received
    What is he supposed to do--shank an official? Do you really think carrying on like a hothead gets calls to go your way?
  7. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,663 Messages
    1,728 Likes Received
    That could be a start, yes.
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  8. Derinyar

Derinyar Well-Known Member

2,138 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    Honestly, it does seem like the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
  9. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,790 Messages
    5,202 Likes Received
    wow there's always somebody who interprets things in the extreme. chill out man.
  10. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,333 Messages
    835 Likes Received
    I don't know if it will help much. Especially since he never really is. They will probably tell him to pipe down, and he will say ok.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,511 Messages
    6,259 Likes Received
    JG was actually as vocal as I've seen him about our DL getting obviously held in the Giants game. He was red-faced and yelling at the ref on one of the more obvious blown calls on the sidelines.
    Personally, I'd like to see him more aggressive about it on the sidelines on game day. I like that he's respectful of the officiating after the fact in the press conferences. I think our players could do a lot more lobbying about it, too. It's not often I recall seeing Demarcus pulling an official aside and pleading his case. I think that is more effective overall than a coach complaining. You can bet Flowers was in the officials ear prior to that bad OPI call on Dez last week, for example.
  12. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,100 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    I used to coach at the HS level and I was always on the refs for bad calls, just my personality. And from that experience, it didn't help one bit, if anything, it went the other way because they (the refs) wouldn't throw some flags on close calls because they didn't want to seem like they were appeasing a coach.

I think Garrett just needs to be Garrett. Like someone else said, just beat the other team and a call here and there will not effect the game outcome. If we were up 40 to 17 do you think anyone would care about the PI call? Just beat the fool out of the other team and it won't matter.
    Idgit likes this.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    Actually this is a job for Jerruh. He needs to go to the head of officials with the game tape of all the missed calls and DEMAND an explanation.

And tell them if he does not get one then the tape goes public.
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    When you yell at someone, they might not like you. And Jason is very big on being liked.
    visionary likes this.
  15. Wheeltax

Wheeltax Well-Known Member

1,027 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    I've seen Garrett get pretty animated a few times this season; I think he just picks his battles, in a way.

There was that one preseason game where he spent quite a while arguing with any official who would listen. I don't remember what the call was - I think it was against the Bengals maybe?
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,511 Messages
    6,259 Likes Received
    In that case, chalk up another thing he's apparently not doing right in Dallas, then.
  17. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,901 Messages
    2,045 Likes Received
    Actually, Dallas got a MAJOR gift on the Berry interception. That was not defensive holding on Witten. That was a clean play.
  18. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,191 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    I can't understand for the life of me why no one on this team has been vocal about the non-calls against Ware. The guy is one of the premier pass rushers in the NFL and this has been going on for a while. The non-calls are blatant; the guy gets hooked, held and tackled almost routinely and those 10 yard penalties would be huge. How many times have we seen a huge play get negated because of some holding call and we rarely see it called in our favor. I'm not a huge conspiracy guy when it comes to officiating but sometimes the non-calls, especially against Ware, are so blatant that it leaves me puzzled.
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,196 Messages
    1,544 Likes Received
    He needs to get more aggressive in his entire approach. He is always flat, and the team plays like that.

There is certainly some value in his business like approach to coaching, but football is an intensely emotional sport, and I dont think he really gets that.
    Zordon likes this.
  20. GrizCowboy

GrizCowboy New Member

4 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Yes, JG is too relaxed and because of that the team seems relaxed too. Football is an aggressive sport where often the most aggressive team wins. The Cowboys seem to care more about trying to outsmart teams than outplay them. Case in point is how complex the offense is and how much is predicated on line calls and receiver/QB reading the same route. Call a damn play, run the play and if they dont' run it right chew their butts out. If the refs make a bad call let them know about it so if another close call happens they at least have some hesitation in their minds. Show us you care JG!!!!
    nalam, daboys79 and Zordon like this.