1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Do you think Witten makes the HoF?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Joshmil53, Oct 29, 2012.

1. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,978 Messages
    76 Likes Received
  2. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Unless you're a Dallas Cowboy. Just ask Drew Pearson, Harvey Martin and Cliff Harris they were all on the HoF's All-Decade Team of the 70s.

But there's no conspiracy of course. :rolleyes:
  3. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    It would be a great injustice if Witten does not get voted into the Hall.

As far as former Cowboys, I've always had a soft spot for Cornell Green. A case could be made either way for him, but I think he at least deserves as spot in the ROH.
  4. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

965 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I did say almost all of them lol. It's sad.
  5. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,978 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Maybe they'll get in the Pro-Wrestling HOF along with Pete Rose.:)
  6. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,963 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Pearson and Harris are the ONLY non-kickers who were named first-team All-1970s but have not been elected to the Hall of Fame. Pearson has never even been a finalist. Harris has been a finalist one time. Meanwhile, several other wide receivers and safeties who were either on the second team or didn't even make the second team have been elected.

Martin was on the second team. He has never been a finalist, either.
  7. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,218 Messages
    1,166 Likes Received
    Gates will probably retire earlier than Witten and be eligible for the HoF sooner. Gates is two years older and has had to deal with a lot of nagging injuries the last few seasons. I can see Gates walking away from football in the next couple of years and Witten possibly playing 4 to 5 years longer than him. I don't know if Tony Gonzales is ever going to retire.
  8. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

783 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    To your point - No. Witten will not make it to the Hall of Fame. He is a Dallas Cowboy.

Unless - somehow they win one or two Super Bowls before he retires...
  9. garrett316

garrett316 5 against 1 Zone Supporter

2,535 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    I think Witten will make it eventually, but almost certainly not on the first ballot.

Shannon Sharpe had over 800 catches, 10,000 yards and 69 tds, Witten will likely surpass those numbers except the tds. Sharpe I think waited 3 years to get in.

I agree with CL that its difficult for TEs to get in. What are there 8-9 total currently in the HOF?
  10. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    To be fair, of the full time players (i.e. non-kickers) who were also part of that 1970s team that are NOT in the HoF:

QB Ken Stabler (Finalist 3 times)
    WR Harold Carmichael (Never been a finalist)
    DE L.C Greenwood (Finalist 6 times)
    LB Robert Brazile (Never been a finalist)
    DB Louis Wright (Never been a finalist)
    DB Dick Anderson (Never been a finalist)

The difference is that they are all from different teams while the Cowboys have 3 players.

Cliff Harris
    Drew Pearson
    Harvey Martin

Only Harris has been a finalist, once in 2004, and they passed on him even though they had a spot available as they only inducted 4 players. Two Cowboys were left off the final list that year, Harris and either Bob Hayes or Rayfield Wright (both were finalists but only one along with Harris made it to the final cut only to be left off due to not having enough votes). What CRAP! Hayes and Wright eventually made it in but I seriously doubt Harris ever will now.

Kickers Jim Bakken and Garo Yepremian as well as Punter Ray Guy were on the 1970s team but are not in either. Guy belongs in the Hof and should have been in a long time ago.
  11. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You are correct as usual Adam.
  12. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,963 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Sharpe had 815 catches, 10,060 yards and 62 touchdowns.

Witten has 747 catches, 8,396 yards and 42 touchdowns so far. He should pass Sharpe's catches early next season and his yards early in 2014. Based on his recent seasons, Witten probably would pass Sharpe's TD total in 2016 if he keeps playing.
  13. Dallas4ever

Dallas4ever Active Member

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yes. I believe he will go in. My guess is that Tony Gonzalez will already be in. Witten's numbers will be too good to keep him out.
  14. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,218 Messages
    1,166 Likes Received
    I agree. I honestly think this will be Gonzales' last year. In 5 years, he will go into the HoF and Witten will probably be on the verge of retiring at that time.
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,129 Messages
    4,328 Likes Received
    Yes.

Next question.
  16. DallasJ7

DallasJ7 Active Member

497 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    My instinct is that he'll make it but certainly not as a first ballot HoFer. He certainly deserves to make it. But I do wonder if HoF voters will be reluctant to vote in more than one Cowboy from this core if they continue this track of mediocrity and lack of playoff success.

Because I think Ware makes it for sure, and if you had to pick between the two, it would be Ware. It also seems to be a lot tougher for tight ends.

If this team could ever put it together and at least make it to a Super Bowl, that should do a lot to either help get Witten in, or help get him in faster.
  17. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Witten should and will be a first ballot hall of famer. Anything less would be a travesty. Jason could go down as the greatest tight end of all time.
  18. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,305 Messages
    2,111 Likes Received
    I will bet a lot of money not only that he makes it but makes it as a first ballot.
  19. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,737 Messages
    2,408 Likes Received
    Didn't think so.

Just one more chance to bash the team and when called on it... ~crickets~
  20. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,414 Messages
    223 Likes Received
    This. No brainer.