1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Do you use a 14th Pick on a Guard?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by egn22, Jan 4, 2012.

1. egn22

egn22 Active Member

836 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    I keep hearing how great Decastro is, and how if he's there at 14 we need to take him. I'm just wondering if the 14th pick should really be used on a guard with all of the glaring holes in our defense.
    I don't have anything against Decastro, and I'm not saying he isn't worth a 14th pick, i'm just wondering if that's really the best move for the Boys to make at this point.

Our pass rush this year seemed extremely pedestrian, and with a poor secondary, you simply can't afford to not get pressure on the QB. It seems as though we could really use a few linebackers.

Move Josh Brent to Center, slide Ratliff over, and inject some youth into the LB corps.
    Pick up a Free Agent corner and draft one late. That's what would be ideal in my world.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,003 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    Draft is about long term not quick fix. Having said that I have no issue with other position being addressed with the 1st pick as long as the Cowboys do not reach in doing so.
  3. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm with you.

The draft is not only about winning now, but acquiring talent that will allow you to win over the next 5+ years. The franchises that endure, they get this concept. You take the best player available at a position of need. For example, Green Bay took Jordy Nelson in the 1st round even though they had Driver, James Jones and Greg Jennings on the team and all of them were initially ahead of him on the depth chart. The Giants take this same approach with DE. They had Osi and Tuck and Kiwi and DE and still drafted JPP. Now they did move Kiwi to OLB, but you get the point (they still drafted another pressure player).

In the long run, I don't think you can go wrong by taking the highest rated player that you have on the board. This should be the rule so there are a few exceptions that make sense.

FYI, I would not view DeCastro as a luxury. I firmly see him as a need; he would feel a rather large void (no pun intended). If you can't entirely fix the defense, you might as well outscore your opponent. See GB, NE and NO for recent examples. The more pressure you put on the opposing offensive to continue to score (i.e. take chances) the better position you place your defense. The more aggresive an offense the more opportunity that they make a critical mistake.

If DeCastro is there at 14, I run to the podium.
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,121 Messages
    2,766 Likes Received

We may throw you to the podium if DeCasto is there. :)
  5. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just make sure its a completed pass! ;)
  6. MichaelWinicki

32,121 Messages
    2,766 Likes Received
    Depending on what happens to Spencer, the Cowboys may not have an opening at LB... At least for a starter.

Whereas the situation at guard, especially with Kosier having a torn MCL and other injuries is really bad.
  7. egn22

egn22 Active Member

836 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    I appreciate the replies. thanks for clarifying. definitely makes sense.
  8. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,391 Messages
    1,257 Likes Received
    14th pick needs to be a dead bang winner. Most draft gurus have DeCastro any where from the second to fifth best player in the draft. To answer your question yes you take him and dont look back. Reaching would be the wrong thing to do despite other glaring holes.
  9. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,756 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    so you are saying make sure Austin isn't at the podium waiting..:laugh1:
  10. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,756 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Imagine Smith and DeCastro protecting Romo's blindside for the next 5 years.....I am sure that would make Romo sleep snug as a baby in a crib at night
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,761 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    I don't think you do. I think you sign a good quality Guard in FA and draft a good quality talent later in the draft. That's just me.
  12. MichaelWinicki

32,121 Messages
    2,766 Likes Received
    That's a valid point.

And who knows what the team truly thinks about Arkin and Nagy... Or for that matter Holland.

I will say that if DeCastro is there at #14, he's probably the highest rated player left on the board and he's a strong consideration.
  13. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,691 Messages
    168 Likes Received
    I do, in a heartbeat.

(bangs the PROTECT ROMO drum)
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,003 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    Romo new bride is in favor of getting DeCastro. :laugh2:
  15. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Three questions:

1) How much does it take to sign this good quality Guard in FA?
    2) How much better will the FA play over what some consider to be the 5th best player in the draft?
    3) How much will you pay the 14th pick in the draft?

Anytime you can feel a true need through the draft with the best player at his position, it's always cheaper. Plus, with the FA you will most likely get 4 good years (if you are lucky). If you draft a player, and if he's good you get at least 2 contracts out of him - 3 if you are very fortunate (Witten and Ratliff are prime examples and Tyron may be another).
  16. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,489 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    What would y'all think if Garrett went for a powerhouse offense and drafted something like this....
    1.)David Decastro
    2.)Peter Konz/Ben Jones
    3.)Kevin Zeitler/Brandon Washington
    4.)Ladarius Green

And forgetting defense for a year and patching them to the next draft??

Oh but still get C.Campbell in Offseason
  17. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,756 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Add RB/FB Cody Johnson with our comp pick in the 6th and OT Jeff Adams in the 7th and you have one heckuva offensive upgrade.

Unfortunately, our defense would still be garbage.
  18. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,489 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Hahahha I was actually thinking about C.Johnson to.

Fill with one year vets..........try to win by offense, then draft mostly D next year and get FA to fill holes.

Edit: and you can make those one year vets earn a new contact, if not then there gone.
  19. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,555 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Without any question, you draft him. This is a qb now and the rules are set up for the qb. We need to protect Romo and other teams can't score if we have the ball with a running game. We all know what happen in 2010 when Romo went down. Hopefully Jones understands that (I know it might be asking too much). I say draft DeCastro and sign either Nicks or Grubbs and we would have a very good ofensive line for years.
  20. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,691 Messages
    168 Likes Received
    1. David Decastro (OG) - Stanford
    2. Peter Konz (C) - Wisconsin
    3. LeMichael James (RB) - Oregon
    4. Ladarius Green (TE) - LA-Lafayette
    5. Joe Adams (PR/WR) - Arkansas
    6. Levy Adcock (OT) - OSU
    6. Matt Daniels (S) - Dook
    7. Aaron Corp (QB) - Richmond