1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Do you want Brent back?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dcstands4, Jan 24, 2014.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,859 Messages
    4,425 Likes Received
    Would he be more reliable than Sean Lee? How about Claiborne? Maybe Spencer? I'll leave the meathead part out when referencing all players.
  2. jobberone

38,859 Messages
    4,425 Likes Received
    Why would he have low standards for assuming what is likely true? You can't make any player or person not do stupid things or say stupid things.
    waving monkey likes this.
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,845 Messages
    1,214 Likes Received
    RKG guys are what is left after you remove the worst of the bad apples.
  4. barney

barney Active Member

258 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    NO I don't want Brent back he's a liability and his performances never make a impact
  5. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,390 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    If Josh Brent was coming out of the draft this year, with his off the field troubles, would the Cowboys draft him? If not then you shouldn't bring him back if so then you should.
  6. jobberone

38,859 Messages
    4,425 Likes Received
    He's a known commodity vs the draft which is unknown. BTW, I want him to do well. If that's playing then fine. If not then what keeps him sober and fills the hole in his heart.
  7. birdwells1

3,390 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    What do we know about him that would compel the Cowboys to want to bring him back? You know when teams took a risk on TO, they had to weigh talent and potential contribution vs the headaches having him on the team may bring, same with Vick. In those cases those players were once pro bowlers and still in their primes, you'll noticed once TOs production and age caught up with him teams weren't "looking past" his off field stuff anymore.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,833 Messages
    7,558 Likes Received
    Probably because, despite their obvious skill, they think football might not be important enough to them (i.e., they're doing it for the money, or the fame, or for whatever reason). Also, there's the obvious group of players who aren't a scheme fit. There are only a couple dozen players on a team's draft board to begin with. It's not all that hard to winnow it down to both the physical, mental, and emotional makeup you're looking for. The question is, what are the emotional/mental characteristics you want, and which do you want to weed out.
  9. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,746 Messages
    621 Likes Received
    First thing first....this isn't Eric Williams we are talking about. This was a marginal DT. If you think this team is a marginal DT away...then we have a gap between reality and fantasy here that needs to be ironed out first. After that....lets assume he wants to play football again, the NFL will slap 1 year suspension on his rear end for guilty verdict. If Dallas can't replace a marginal DT in draft then none of this matters.
    birdwells1 likes this.
  10. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

910 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    Not really. Independent of whether he should come back, Brent was a good rotational DT when he was on the field. If you could find someone at that level on any practice squad the Cowboys wouldn't have had the weekly tryout of street free agents you saw last season. They played 16 different players on the D Line last year. They also would have likely won another game or two and been in the playoffs if solid DL were that easy to pick up.
  11. Soth

Soth Active Member

355 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Agree 100%

I doubt Brent will change. He's had multiple chances. I don't think it's worth the risk. It's not like he's Wilfork.
  12. WinnipegBoy22

WinnipegBoy22 New Member

21 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    On the first DUI that should make a person think maybe i should call someone to drive me home. On his second chance he has 17 drinks that should really tell you not to get into the car. On his third chance.......OK there is no third chance. No don't take him back end of story.
  13. birdwells1

3,390 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    We fall in love with our own players too much, what I'm saying is that Brent is nothing more than Nick Hayden a decent rotational player but if he's your starter then you're looking in the draft or fa to replace him. Without the off field stuff Brent should be in a fight to make the squad every camp, with the off field stuff he shouldn't be invited to camp. If keeping Brent is going to make or break your season then we're in trouble anyway.
  14. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

910 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    Agree on that point, which is why we saw the defensive misery that we witnessed last season. I disagree on Brent's play, he has a lot more upside than Hayden and if Dallas doesn't bring him back he will definitely be signed by someone else.
  15. birdwells1

3,390 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    I think a fresh start with another team would do both parties good.
    RonSpringsdaman20 likes this.
  16. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,544 Messages
    5,471 Likes Received
    He is only 25. Maybe this will be the life changing event that knocks some reality into his head.
    Kaiser likes this.
  17. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,891 Messages
    1,660 Likes Received
    They're plenty of Dlineman in this draft we should focus on. Brent needs to get his life on track and we need to move on from that situation.
  18. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,311 Messages
    1,380 Likes Received
    I agree with your sentiment. But, if he were to be brought back, I would not be outraged by it given the situation.

YR
    Beast_from_East likes this.
  19. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,444 Messages
    2,871 Likes Received
    I find it very hard to believe that our players care more about winning than the players on the Tennessee Titans or Washington Redskins. I have seen no tangible proof that our players that are so called "RKG" care more about winning and care more about the game than the vast majority of the players in the NFL.

Now if you have some tangible evidence or some stats to back up this claim, I would very much like to see it. But to say our players are so much more special and care so much more about the game than the vast majority of the players in the NFL is just making stuff up when it boils down to it.

RKG is just a platitude to sound good, but doesn't really mean jack when you analyze it............if I am wrong, show me something tangible that proves our players work so much harder and care so much more than the other players in the NFL.
  20. jobberone

38,859 Messages
    4,425 Likes Received
    RKG stand for ridiculous and kinda goofy which is where this thread has gone.