1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Does anyone understand the cap situation?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by JoeyBoy718, Jan 3, 2013.

1. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,924 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
    I was reading an article on Bleacher Report that was breaking down the cap situation. It listed the UFAs and RFAs on offensive and defense. Then it broke down the cap situation. Here is a bit of what it said:

Projected in total salary for players in 2013: $132 million

Projected dead money: $6.5 million

League collusion penalty: $5 million

Projected total cap spent: $143.5 million

NFL projected cap limit in 2013: $121 million

Available Cowboys cap space: -$22.5 million

Now, I don't know if their projected total salary on players is taking into account who they would resign of the available UFAs and RFAs and the projected amount of the contracts. I also don't know how it would be possible to get ANY free agent if we have a negative available cap space. And I don't get how cutting players still under contract would free up cap space since it would cost a cap hit.

So, hypothetically, if we were to cut ties with the majority of our UFAs and RFAs, does anyone know if we would even have money to sign additional free agents? And if so, how much money? I really have no idea how the cap works. I'm just going into the offseason assuming we won't have any new players next season aside from our draft picks.
  2. ayjackson

ayjackson New Member

208 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Don't know much about our cap situation, but I know a thing or two about Bleacher Report. Move on.
  3. JoeyBoy718

3,924 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
    Haha. Well, I know Bleacher Report isn't the most credible. But I also know that we don't have much cap space (if any) to work with. I was just wondering if anyone knew the numbers and realistically how much we could afford. It's nice to say "let's sign this guy, trade for that guy, and draft that guy" but you also have to be realistic.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,784 Messages
    4,335 Likes Received
    Yes, AdamJT13.

While waiting for an update, here is what I have calculated.

Also, there is a reported 7M of cap space to be rolled over from 2012 to 2013.

[IMG]
  5. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,427 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    I am sure Adam will be glad to give you a break down on the cap situation. Just give him a little bit of time to see this topic.
  6. JoeyBoy718

3,924 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
    xwalker, I'm just a little confused by "players with contracts that can be restructered." All but 3 of those players would have a positive impact if restructered, but 3 of those players (Ware, Carr and Austin) have a negative impact and thus make the restructuring of all those contracts barely useful. So why would you include Ware, Carr and Austin? Wouldn't it be in our best interest to restructure everyone besides them?
  7. JoeyBoy718

3,924 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
    xwalker, you also only have a few free agents listed. I'm sure Adam will come with more later. But anyway, here are the free agents Bleacher Report has listed:

Offense (Unrestricted)

RB Felix Jones, WR Kevin Ogletree, TE John Phillips, OL Derrick Dockery, LS LP Ladouceur, P Brian Moorman.

Defense (Unrestricted)

LB Victor Butler, LB Brady Poppinga, LB Ernie Sims, LB Anthony Spencer, DB Michael Coe, DB Mike Jenkins, DB Eric Frampton, DB Charlie Peprah, DL Kenyon Coleman.

Restricted

OL Phil Costa, DB Danny McCray, DL Brian Schaefering.

I think we should cut ties with the majority of them. I'd like us to keep LP Ladoucer and Anthony Spencer. I see us probably hanging on to the RFAs.
  8. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,599 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Carr will have a 2013 cap hit of $16.3 million. I would guess that is why he is showing that contract as likely to be restructured.

Craig
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    My guess is the hit woud be much worse if we did not restrcuture those contracts. I don't have the data in front of me to verify it though.
  10. xwalker

11,784 Messages
    4,335 Likes Received
    Sorry for the confusion. The +/- are relative to 2012 not relative to the original 2013 amount.

You're correct in the all of the restructures would be + relative to the original 2013 cap hit.
  11. xwalker

11,784 Messages
    4,335 Likes Received
    Yes, Carr is currently scheduled to count 16.3M against the 2013 cap.

After restructuring, he will count approximately 5.8M against the 2013 cap.

That is an improvement of 10.5M; however, it is still 2.6M more than his 2012 cap hit and the reason for the negative in the 4th column.
  12. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,599 Messages
    17 Likes Received

Restructuring Carr doesn't concern me. The contracts of other players are what could make things interesting. Has Ratliff gone postal? If so and he is cut that is going to change some dynamics. What to do with Spencer? I don't trust him with a long term deal, but I don't know that I want to give him a 120% raise either(francise tag). Will be an interesting off-season on many fronts.

Craig
  13. JoeyBoy718

3,924 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
    So do you know the implications of cutting Ratliff? I know a lot of people are saying we should cut him. Would it save us any money if we did?
  14. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Top 10 non performing Cowboys, cut them -

Jenkins CB, Free OT, Sensabaugh S, McCray S, Ogletree WR, Spears DE, Vickers FB, Jones HB, Bernadeau OG, and Conner LB.

And I expect most of the UFA's will be allowed to walk. Spencer performed very well this year and he may get franchise tag again.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    the biggest problem with the Cap is that it will not be going up for several years. That means the usual tactic of reworking a contract and pushing cap hits forward to when the cap will be higher will not work at this time.
  16. xwalker

11,784 Messages
    4,335 Likes Received
    I just listed the Free Agents with significant contracts.

I've including Franchising Spencer and giving Costa a new contract in the calculations.
  17. xwalker

11,784 Messages
    4,335 Likes Received
    It appears that most or all of his 2013 base salary is guaranteed; therefore, cutting him now would not help the salary cap now or in the future. They could put him on IR all season for the same cap hit and cost in real dollars.
  18. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

694 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    If a team wants to sign a player, any player they will and do find a way.
  19. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,023 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    The bright side of this situation is that it doesn't look like it will hurt the team cap wise if they do need to jettison Jay Ratliff this off-season.

Rat's 2013 cap number ($7M) would only go up if Dallas opted to eat all of the remaining bonus money immediately (almost $10.87M).

I expect they would use the June 2nd rule to split the bonus money hit over two years, instead.

It'd be a big hit this year, $6.875M, but the team can deal with that.

And Rat's 2014 cap hit would drop from $7.5M to $4M.

I hope the situation can be salvaged.

If not, so be it.

Do what's best for the team and move forward.
  20. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,276 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    We are 7 million over the cap. Don't believe anything you read on bleacher report. Then we have the 5 million penalty so we are 12 million over the cap right now.

Restructure Romo, Miles, Carr, and maybe ware and release Free and another and we will be under the cap.

Also we will have a cap rollover that we can use if we have to.

Here is the cap tracker for all teams
    http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/2013/