1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Does Crawford remind anyone else of Tony Tolbert?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by newlander, Apr 29, 2012.

1. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    I like this kid: athletic, smart, solid guy. His measurables and tape remind me of Tolbert......whom I have high regard for. Crazy or not guys?
  2. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    We can only hope
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,846 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    Different body types so not really to me, Cowboys were comparing him to Ratliff: motor and work ethic wise.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    Tony Tolbert is easily one of the most under rated and under appreciated Cowboys along with Thomas Everette ever. They would do cart wheels is he turned out that good. Big difference though, Tolbert was a 4-3 DE. Crawford was brought in as 5 tech who can provide a pass rush.
  5. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,507 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Tolbert came into the league at 235 pounds as a LB. He was a long, lanky guy who played with good leverage and was a good complementary player to Haley. He was a pretty good value for the 4th round where he was drafted.

Crawford is more of a power guy with quickness and will be a 5-technique in the pros.

He is quite similar to Ratliff in some ways - my guess is he must have longer arms.
  6. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Totally agree. Tolbert was one of my very favorites from those teams, and a very underrated player. He even more than Everett because he was here longer and had less of a pedigree than Thomas did.

But he was essential to those teams, and he did it with no fuss and good character.
  7. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,726 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Jimmy tried to convert several OLBs into 4-3 DEs, but Tolbert was the only one that stuck.
  8. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,113 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Tolbet was a stud and bad knees kept him from having a great career--i'd love for Dallas to have another
  9. newlander

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
  10. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,604 Messages
    733 Likes Received
    Chris Canty?
  11. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,726 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Canty was 6'7 and had a wingspan of a pteradactyl. Was proven starter too. It was his career threatening eye injury that dropped him out of the first day.
  12. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,902 Messages
    1,368 Likes Received
    I like the Crawford pick and I'll say that if he turns out to be anything at all like Tony Tolbert, as a player for the Dallas Cowboys, I'd be more than thrilled.

Tolbert was one of my absolute favorite players during the 90's. The guy just doesn't get nearly enough credit for just how good he was.
  13. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,437 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    Amen. I was huge Tolbert fan. He was incredibly reliable and came up with pressures and sacks at big moments. He was great against the run. I'm pretty sure he is actually one of the all-time postseason sack leaders. Definitely one of the most underrated Cowboys of all-time. Anyway, that aside, I don't think the Crawford/Tolbert comparison is a good one. Crawford is a bigger player.
  14. newlander

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...I WAS off on the comparison between the two: but at least we all got to give Tony props: guy was nails as I recall.
  15. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,401 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    Yeah, and its incredible to remember just how deep that line was. They could just wear o-lines out with that rotation.
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Watching Colombo's good bye press conference, it makes you wonder why a guy like Tolbert never got that kind of send off or recognition. I know he left on bad terms with the Cowboys after they released him for chronic knee problems. I think Haley just instilled a lot of paranoia and surliness in his DLine teammates with the media, and perhaps even franchise brass/authority, and I'm not sure that kind of attitude was the best approach to take for all those guys.
  17. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,846 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    I didn't know he left on bad terms.