1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Does Dez Bryant remind you of TO...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by GusTheo, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Avenger

Avenger Member

212 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Not at all.
  2. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,981 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    TO might be a more gifted athlete, but there was always a mechanical feel to his game. I remember Aikman once talking about how TO made himself into a great player., that he wasn't a natural great receiver.

Dez looks so smooth out there and it looks so easy and natural, He's a gifted WR, and a gifted Athlete. They are both physical beasts and they have similar builds so I can see where at a glimpse they resemble each other, but I don't think their play is that similar.
  3. DallasDomination

DallasDomination Well-Known Member

6,239 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Dez can catch better and is more athletic, maybe stronger than Owens too. The one thing owens has over Dez is Speed, Owens was strong after the catch just like Dez, but Owens was just flat out faster.
  4. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    In the end, Dez Bryant is going to be better than TO. We'll adore him. TO... not so much.
  5. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    The original poster has a point though. They are similar in physique' and style in a few ways.
  6. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    1,110 Likes Received
    So you are projecting HoF for DeZ? It's possible.

TO had over 15000 yards and 150 TDs...
  7. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Not at all. T.O. played much faster than Dez. Dez is super physical which T.O. was not.
  8. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,385 Messages
    250 Likes Received
    On the field - well both are gifted receivers and potential gamechangers.

Off the field - TO has some issues related to mental health, I think Dez just has maturity issues.

I'm happy letting Dez be Dez. On the field...
  9. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

He may be.. but he's got a LONG way to go yet.
  10. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,763 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    I don't think they are similar but I certainly hope their careers are.
  11. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,220 Messages
    768 Likes Received
    He's got a long way to go before he can be in the same category as T.O. Like him or not, the guy is one of the all-time greats.
  12. Hawk

Hawk Member

45 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    When T.O was young, he was an enigma, nobody could stop the guy. More than anything T.O. showed what a monster WRer could do to small CB's.

Comparing Dez right now to Bobby Hayes, or even T.O. to me is a joke...its a long way to the Hall of Fame, and most of you see Dez there already.

We will never ever see the likes of a Bobby Hayes again.

Dez has great leaping ability, but so did Hayes, Gene Washington, Lance Alworth, Paul Warfield...the list is long.
  13. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,044 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Kinda surprised that Brandon Marshell didn't get meationed yet. I think their games are similar.
  14. ftghb

ftghb Active Member

149 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    such a travesty that so many people are underrating TO. I've followed him since his 49er days, the only thing that dez has on TO is that he is a better jump ball receiver. Other than that, TO was a MUCH better route runner, so incredibly fluid for a such a big bodied receiver to come in and out of his breaks like that. If you guys have trouble remembering, there was that one play in the super bowl when TO shook off asante samuel on an inbreaking route before breaking it the other way for 30+ yards. (he had 9 catches for 122 yards on a broken ankle). Owens also was the monster of YAC in his prime, always knew how to use his blocks downfield and what angles to take in order to gain the max yards possible. Owens was a better pass catcher over the middle of the field, whereas dez bryant works better on the boundaries.

Not to mention, Owens was a much, much smarter football player. Dez Bryant has all the potential in the world to be a great receiver, but he needs to prove consistently he has it in between the ears first.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,968 Messages
    1,715 Likes Received
    I approve this post.
  16. DanTanna

DanTanna Original Zone Member Zone Supporter

2,194 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    TO had an uncanny ability to get 5 yards past the deepest defender. I don't know how he did it, but you would see Romo launch a bomb and sure enough, when TO came on the screen he'd be 5 yards past the defender WIDE OPEN. He did this time and time again! How the he!! did he do that? And yes he had stone hands sometimes - he did not have naturally soft hands. Speed, size and ultimate competitiveness.

Dez is strong, super soft hands, and good deceptive speed for his size IMO. When he was hurt he cut off a few routes that caused interceptions, but I think he's grown away from that. I would rather have Dez than TO in their primes.
  17. DejectedFan1996

DejectedFan1996 Active Member

626 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    This is extremely common on this forum, especially in regards to former Cowboy players. Like you, I have followed him since his 49er days as well mostly due to my brother being a die hard 49ers fan. People that know me will tell you how I lose my voice everytime Dez scores and that I have a mancrush for him. But even I can tell you he has a long way to go before he can even fathom being in the same class as T.O.
  18. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,338 Messages
    1,634 Likes Received
    Dez seems to be able to wing it better than TO, plus his hands are better... TO is great in motion and getting the ball quickly and taking it to the house. Haven't seen it yet with Dez, but I blame the system more than anything else.
  19. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,308 Messages
    1,294 Likes Received
    Dallas and Jerry was at the verge of being there with Dez. Im glad he pulled his out of his rear end as of now. Seems like Dez is dedicated to his church now. He's always posting scriptures instead of nonsense he used to.

But physically Dez and TO are very similar. Their games are similar in some ways and different in others. Both seem to get testy when the ball isnt thrown to them tho. Both are extremely dedicated to winning.
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,087 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    Dez reminds me more of Irvin than he does TO. But that is just me.

I don't see Dez issues the same as TO. TO never learned to drop issues he continued to pour gas on the fire instead of keeping his mouth shut to the media about in house matters. Dez clearly has shown immaturity but his behavior is nothing like what I saw with TO though out his career and a reason no team stuck with him despite his talent.