1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Does it really matter if Obama wins, or McCain?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by canters, Sep 25, 2008.

1. canters

canters Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Would we really notice a difference between the two administrations?

No bloviating here, just pithy comments.

I go first:

We will not leave Iraq any sooner with Barrry than with McCain, IMO

The congress will parse some of not most of Barry's tax programs back from what he wants.

Barry will appiont, or try to, left wingers to the supreme court.

Barry will cut defense spending, or try to, too much.

We would have something closer to universial health care with Barry, which will be costly$$$$$, and yet another entitlement for our kids to pay.

The Rev J Wright will be slipped in the back door of the white house for a tour. :)
  2. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,912 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Things that directly impact our lives? Obama's healthcare plan, if it gets passed, would have a direct impact on people. The tax proposals for each candidate would directly impact people.

The way the war turns out would have an impact on people who are serving or have family that are serving. Right now though, it looks like we're going to be withdrawing in not that long anyway, so the war issue is kind of on the back burner I guess.

Just a couple of thoughts on it. :D

Edit - Being able to get money to go back to school if I do some community service is part of Obama's plans as well. That would have a direct impact on me. Right now, my options are pretty limited on that front.
  3. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,912 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Things keep coming to mind. For women, the Equal Pay Act that Obama supports would make a direct impact on their lives I would think.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    Obama would try to push through his Universal health care plan and even if you could argue that it was a good idea (which I do not)...now is one of the worse possible times for it due to the war (active or not) on multiple fronts and the current economic crisis.

Besides that and SCOTUS appointees I think there would not be much difference in the grand scheme of things.

The economy is in such a mess right now that I don't think either can get us out of debt in one term.

As others have pointed out, no matter who is elected we will still wind up having troops, although the numbers may greatly vary between candidates, in Iraq in some form or fashion of a perm base in order to keep options open concerning Iran.

We will raise troop levels in Afghanistan no matter which guy gets elected.

So all in all...not much difference when it is all said and done.
  5. canters

canters Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I think that whomever wins, the congress will give them heck.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    Another thing to consider with Obama, and contrary to what some here think..another reason I will not vote for Obama...Is I don't like the idea of one party controlling both Congress and the executive branch. Too much power in the hands of one party.

We seen Clinton and the dems abuse it and we seen W and the repubs abuse it.
  7. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,724 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    The way I see it: mostly bragging rights. Not much will change. The next president's foreign policy hands are pretty much tied. And congress hasn't passed a major bill since the 60's and can't/won't pass any major bill such as health care.