1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Does Miles Austin stay or does he go?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Gadfly22

Gadfly22 Active Member

616 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    Stephen was quoted as saying:

“Miles is another one of those guys who’s had a great career with us, but no different than any of our other guys,” Jones said. “We have to evaluate it, what resources he takes up, and make decisions from there. Obviously, we haven’t made final decisions on any of that yet.”

He is clearly trying not to commit himself either way. But I read that quote as pretty pessimistic about keeping Austin -- especially that "resources" part.
  2. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,317 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Not really a conversation worth having. Cut him.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,629 Messages
    2,646 Likes Received
    He is gone IMO and they will get another WR in the draft. Yes Yes Yes I know they have Twill, Harris and the Beasley but I still think they look for another WR.
    Common Sense and Kaiser like this.
  4. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Agreed, this isn't even debatable.
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,919 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    Got to go.

24 244 10.2
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,752 Messages
    3,734 Likes Received
    I know he's a favorite of Jason's, but his time here is over. We're going to need to spend a reasonable (middling) pick on adding another tall WR with some speed, though, or get lucky finding another FA we think can be developed to play outside and in. As it stands, we lose an outside guy, and we're scrambling again next season because Beasley and Harris can't do that job.
  7. Bungarian

Bungarian Butt Monkey

2,010 Messages
    323 Likes Received
    Does anyone care?
  8. KLJ

KLJ Member

248 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    yea.. just watching him on the field it's sad to see that he has absolutely no burst anymore. it's almost like he runs every pattern at 80%.
  9. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,239 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    Austin will be released he can't be depended on with his chronic hamstring problems that start up early in the season and hamper him all year. He did nothing this past season for the team to want to keep him and the Cowboys already have his replacement on the roster. Austin only produced 24 catches for 244 yards and no TD's in the 11 games he played.
  10. Idgit

27,752 Messages
    3,734 Likes Received
    I do. Miles is a good guy who worked hard and could deliver on the field before his chronic injury problems derailed his game. He was a salary cap liability last year, but I still wish the guy the best. To your real point, though, we shouldn't have much trouble replacing his productivity, even with a late-VFA signing, I wouldn't think. But we do need another WR who can play both X and Y if we let him go.
  11. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,401 Messages
    377 Likes Received
    Why would Austin stay here? He will be forced to take the vet min or be a June 1st cut. And even if he takes the vet min here, he would hardly get any playing time. I'm guessing he would rather go somewhere else if he has to take the vet min, to some team who has no WR depth to speak of. I think Austin is a June 1st cut, goes somewhere else, gets cut the last week of camp so that team is not responsible for his salary, and then is on a roster starting week 2. I doubt he pulls his hammy crap with some other team giving him the vet min and one step away from being cut.
  12. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,429 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    I wouldn't compare him to Free at all. Free played a key position that was sorely lacking talent and depth. Miles plays a replaceable position that is stacked.
  13. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,429 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    I agree. I like him as a person. But it's a business. He hasn't contributed in years and he's one of the highest paid players on the team. If we treated this team like a business and not a family, we could have possibly had success by now.
    Idgit likes this.
  14. Idgit

27,752 Messages
    3,734 Likes Received
    He almost certainly would be willing to take the cut, and, healthy, we'd want him here. But I can't see why the team would keep a older WR who's had a pattern of inconsistency staying in the lineup with a promising 2nd year player behind him. Better off getting a value FA with a track record for staying on the field and drafting a small school development guy with potential to play all three positions down the road. Miles is just another variable to have to juggle around with his trick hammies, at this point.

Plus, I think it sends a good message to release a guy you like just because he can't stay on the field.
  15. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Active Member

972 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Does austin need to go? Yes. Will he go? I doubt it.

Recent history tells me we will find some way to keep him on the team despite his lack of production and price. Free needed to go and they found a way to keep him, same thing will unfortunately happen with austin. It's like clockwork, you people should already know dallas doesn't part with players who need to be gone. Of course there are a few execeptions people will bring up. Something I kinda keep in mind when I think about things like this (not just in football) is that you should always count on "the rule" and not count on "the exception." Not that I'm bashing anyone in the org I'm just going by recent history.
  16. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,153 Messages
    1,094 Likes Received
    Why would he take a pay cut?
  17. Idgit

27,752 Messages
    3,734 Likes Received
    [scratches head that anybody could misread the Free situation so significantly. From cap implications to the implications of replacing him to his actual production on the field relative to his renegotiated salary. The price of being wrong on the internet is higher than I thought it was, apparently.]
  18. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

1,864 Messages
    1,012 Likes Received
    Not that I disagree with you, but are you saying the situation with Free turned out bad in the end?
  19. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Active Member

972 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    No just saying the same thing will happen. No way of telling it will be a good or bad move.
    Corso likes this.
  20. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

1,864 Messages
    1,012 Likes Received
    Gotcha. I can't disagree.