1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Does your vote matter?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by vta, Oct 4, 2008.

1. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    In various threads I've stated, in round about way's, that I don't believe our system is functioning by the principles our founding fathers had planned/hoped for. I think, truly, that both we as citizens and our government have lost our hold on those principles and 1. our government doesn't trust us to care enough to be informed and make the right decisions and 2. that they have reached the point where they are 'professional politicians' and feel they really don't need the advice/permission of a people not overly concerned with the grander scheme, as long as they have individual comfort.

If a such a bill as the bailout, seemingly universally rejected by the people, can be passed, do you think we really have a voice? And if not, how deep does that go? What else about our will is being ignored?

Do you think that by voting you are making a difference?
  2. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes and No it is not just the voting the problem is to many people reelect the guy that screwed it up before because he has been there already. Then lets also look at who tends to run for office guys that could not make money with that law degree hey i will go run for office.

That is why I laugh at the experience bit I hate that because most guys with all the political experience are a joke and have been bribed off.

I am to a point where we should hold the presidential etc. election campaign funds to a max 2 million spent. That would level the playing field and make them address issue and only issues. One bad placed add to sling mud cost you because you can not just throw money at it to make it go away.

So does it count yes in someways but the bigger issue is who is running for office.
  3. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Votes do count and they are important.

But when most people vote based on who they'd most like to have a beer with, which candidate seems most average, which candidate is most folksy, well, we tend to get people who aren't very good at government.

People who wish to "vote for the person, not the party" typically base their decisions on perceptions of candidates' personalities.

This presents a "can't see the forest for the trees" problem. By focusing exclusively on individual candidates, and largely ignoring the impact of adding or decreasing the strength and influence of Party A or Party B, people fail to hold the larger parties and party leaders accountable.

If voters aren't paying attention to the bigger picture, it should come as no surprise that the bigger picture looks screwy.

On balance, we'd be better off voting (nationally) based on the candidate's political affiliation. If people were to evaluate the current situation, decide whether they like or dislike the current situation, and voted accordingly (for the party in power if they liked how things were going -or- for the opposition party if not happy with the status quo) - at least we'd be in the position of beginning to shape the parties to be more responsive.