Dog Question

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Aikmaniac, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,401 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    A couple weeks ago my parents had to put the family dog to sleep after a cancerous growth was found on one of her hind legs. She was 14-15, had a stroke earlier last year, and was given 6 months to a year at the latest if this growth was removed. It was a tough decision by my dad but a necessary one. They didn't want to put her through the surgery.

Having said that, I think getting another dog might be the best thing for the parents. They're both retired and aren't in the greatest of shape themselves. I live about 25 minutes or so away so I couldn't be relied upon to help train, housebreak, or exercise the new dog.

What breed would you suggest for a retired couple? I've done some research the past couple days. I'm leaning towards a greyhound but I don't think they want a larger dog. They require little exercise (maybe one walk a day) and are snugglers. I looked at whippet's as well but they require quite a bit of exercise or they otherwise become destructive.

Any thoughts?
  2. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,319 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    Greyhounds require little exercise? That's news to me...

I'd say bulldogs would top the list, maybe spaniels after that.
  3. Larry73

Larry73 Benched

49 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You can get a dog from the pound that's already been house broken.
  4. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,981 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    Try to find one that stays out from under their feet.
  5. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd second the notion of adopting an older last 3-4 years of age.

I'd also avoid any type of do that requires a lot of exercise, grooming, or training.

In this case, a Golden Retriever would fit the bill nicely IMO.
  6. lane

lane The Chairman

11,685 Messages
    1,662 Likes Received
  7. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,623 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Definitely stay away from Boxers. I have one, and I love it to death, but they are a huge ball of energy lol.
  8. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Many shelters/rescue groups now will have you fill out a questionnaire about what you are looking for in a dog. This result will match you with dogs in the shelter, which helps them avoid having returned pets because of unexpected behavior.

The rescue workers and volunteers will be very familiar with the dogs and their personalities. I think it's a fantastic tool.

Take your time and look around. Good luck!
  9. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament...

29,761 Messages
    829 Likes Received
    One of my dogs is a Maltese and he's a hoot... really cute and really affectionate... and they think they are the toughest dog on the block...
  10. lane

lane The Chairman

11,685 Messages
    1,662 Likes Received

same with my pom...he is a bad boy..weighs about ten pounds.

when he looks in the mirror he sees a lion.

very protective and a great addition to the family...agile..sturdy fella.

i named him:

jesse james
  11. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,708 Messages
    690 Likes Received
  12. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,453 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    Hahaha ur post made me lol. You should post a pic of your pet lion.
  13. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

33,572 Messages
    1,522 Likes Received
    aCk! Those dogs drive me crazy! I want punt them! :laugh2:
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,679 Messages
    1,626 Likes Received
    I'd agree with adopting as well, all dogs require exercise and a younger pup will be rambunctious no matter the breed. If you go to the dog shelter, just ask the workers there to take a look at a couple of dogs that have already been housebroken and may work for an older couple, the dog will basically pick you, just spend some time with them.

I wouldn't get anything younger than two years, which is about when they start to calm down. The breed is mostly irrelevant, just spend some time with them. I've known some "low energy" breeds that bounce off walls and some work dogs that want nothing more than to find the sunny spot in the house and nap in it all day.

If you want a particular breed, I've got a Staffordshire Bull Terrier (not to be confused with the Staffordshire Terrier), and he can't get enough cuddling. He'll sit in your lap and take petting till your arms falls off before moving onto someone else who still has their arms attached.
  15. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,401 Messages
    309 Likes Received

I think I may end up spending some time at the local shelter as we have done before, but I will check out the Bull Terrier.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!
  16. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,147 Messages
    223 Likes Received
    I too like Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Everyone I have met have been great dogs.

Sadly, though I really like the sighthounds (Greyhounds, Salukis, Borzoi, Afgan, etc), pretty much almost every single whippet I have met has been neurotic.

Getting another dog is probably a good idea for your folks though. I did not, after my last great dog died, and I do kinda regret it now.
  17. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,603 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    I think you should definitely look for a smaller dog then. There are times that you need to pick your dog up, or restrain them or subdue them, and a bigger dog makes that difficult, especially for older people.

Somebody mentioned maltese and pomo, .. both good for elderly.

I have had several Mini Schnauzers, .. they would be great too. (between 15-20 lbs.)
  18. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,555 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I was heartbroken when my German Shepherd passed away in March. She was a wonderful dog. I missed her so much. I had people tell me not to jump in and get another dog right away and I have to disagree with them. I adopted my Cocker Spaniel, Scarlet, in April. I have never regretted it! That is her picture in my siggy. She is 2 years old. She is very gentle and sweet. She would be great for a family with older people or children. I absolutely love her!! Her former owner dumped her in the night box at the Dallas city pound because she is prone to ear infections. She was saved by a rescue in DFW that I follow on Facebook. I saw her picture and called and adopted her.
  19. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

23,470 Messages
    2,308 Likes Received
    Get a cat.
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

84,056 Messages
    7,063 Likes Received
    I have a Golden who must think she is a cat. Was cleaning house and found a mouse in the bed. She has a habit of hunting outside and bringing her catch inside. Thus far she has managed to bring in 2 birds, 2 mice and 1 Opossum.