1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Don’t Forget About These Five: Untimely Penalties Were Costly

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Oct 14, 2012.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,945 Messages
    4,498 Likes Received
    BALTIMORE – This game went back and forth with the momentum swinging all afternoon. In the end, the Cowboys didn’t have enough as Dan Bailey’s field goal sailed to the left and the Ravens prevailed 31-29.

As usual, there were some plays that might be overlooked, but still played a big part. Here’s a handful of plays or events that altered the flow of the game.

1. First illegal shift – The Cowboys had several penalty issues, committing 13 for nearly 100 yards again. An illegal shift call in the second quarter likely took points off the board. The Cowboys already led 7-3 and had third-and-4 from the Ravens’ 12. Felix Jones rushed for six yards to the 6 setting up a first-and-goal. But the refs flagged the offense for two players moving at the same time without getting set. Kevin Ogletree was in motion and was moving forward when the ball was snapped. The Cowboys then had third-and-9 and couldn’t covert, settling for a field goal and a 10-3 lead.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-NickEatman/Don%E2%80%99t-Forget-About-These-Five-Untimely-Penalties-Were-Costly/56add4b5-af81-4ea2-b0d5-00a94f84cd7a
  2. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,400 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Both of the illegal shifts occurred because they spent too much time in the huddle and were trying to scurry to get the snap off. How many times does this issue have to repeat itself before they figure out how to get the heck out of the huddle in a timely manner?

I keep hearing they call 2 plays so Romo can look over the defense and pick the best one, well wouldn't it be easier to look over the defense if you were actually lined up with more then 5 seconds left on the game clock?

Also the PI call on Coleman on 3rd down and ticky tack holding call on Smith when Felix ran for 6 yards on 1st and goal from the 9 were big calls. Those 2 really questionable calls had a big impact on the game as well.

Speaking of the PI on Coleman, why does Rob keep asking the big uglies to cover TEs? That isnt working, its like the 3rd TD I have seen since Rob got here where the linemen were just totally out matched. I always thought the coaches job was to put these guys in position to be successful, not to have 300 pound linemen trying to cover TEs. That is insane.
  3. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,795 Messages
    244 Likes Received

Who's Coleman? You mean Claiborne
  4. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,400 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    No I mean Kenyon Coleman, our defensive end. He was called for a BS illegal use to hands (sorry not PI) call on 3rd and goal from the 2 yard line. It was on the possession before the PI on Claiborne.
  5. mmohican29

mmohican29 Well-Known Member

2,464 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    The Ravens perpetually get phony calls @ home. Kept them in the game all day long until we eventually fell apart in coaching and special teams.
  6. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,619 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    his was hands to the face but your point is valid.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,602 Messages
    9,795 Likes Received
    That chop block on Felix was one of the worst calls I've ever seen.

Not that I want to start blaming refs. All teams get bad calls.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,641 Messages
    5,554 Likes Received
    Battling through the noise in my house it sounded like they said Felix engaged first then Livings (or was it Costa?) came over and engaged. So it was a legit call it's just that the events unfolded in reverse order of what we think of when it comes to a typical chop block penalty. Does that make sense?
  9. Risen Star

22,602 Messages
    9,795 Likes Received
    In order for it to be a chop block you must go low on a player already engaged with another blocker. Felix clearly was the first to engage. Even Billick, an obvious Ravens homer, said it was an awful call.
  10. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    A lot of the calls the refs made were bull, but I seen some that weren't called on us too. Just sayin'.
  11. Risen Star

22,602 Messages
    9,795 Likes Received
    Definitely. We got a nice PI call that set us up for the game winner at the end. Regardless of whether or not it was PI, sometimes refs won't throw flags in those situations. We got the call.

I'm not presenting this as an anti-Dallas thing. That call against Felix was just exceptionally bad.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Good point.

Why even try to have some advantage if you can't actually benefit from it because you don't have the time to implement it.

If Garrett insists on such a structure they should give Romo a wrist band with plays on it and shorthand names next to it. That way instead of Garrett having to read 2-3 plays or however many there are, he can just call the shorthand and Romo can get to work on getting it to the team faster.

They gotta do something. The pre-snap sideshow has got to stop.
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I've seen it called on RBs all the time but what about 2 OL who are in on it? If one of the OL has a guy engaged, is it somehow legal for the 2nd OL to come over and go low? I cannot imagine that being the case but last night there was a play where it happened.

The other night during the Houston game, they showed a play where one of the lineman was totally engaged and then another lineman came over and went low on the defender who was already engaged.

When they showed it, they were talking about how "this is the reason teams don't like to play the Texans" and I'm wondering how in the hell that isn't a chop block.

It may have been the Packers on offense I'm not sure but when I saw the replay where they isolated the OL and used it as an example, I couldn't believe it.
  14. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received

No doubt the one against Felix was bad. Sean Smith was grabbing or holding at our receivers all day. Those two pissed me off the most.

That one where he almost grabbed Ogletree's face mask was huge. There were also some where Smith got away with. Like you said, that's how it goes.
  15. Risen Star

22,602 Messages
    9,795 Likes Received
    No. That's supposed to be a penalty no matter who does it. The thinking is the defender is in a defenseless position. He can't protect his knees and more than likely isn't even looking in the direction of the 2nd blocker. It's like a recipe for ACL tears.
  16. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,761 Messages
    599 Likes Received
    The Ravens got at least three "home cooking" calls. But Dallas could have still won at the end so it's not an excuse.
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,901 Messages
    7,652 Likes Received
    I'm never one to blame refs. It's the team's job to win within the context of the officiating. The bad calls don't matter. But that PI in our favor at the end was absolutely the right call. It was just a big call at an important point in the game.