1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Don't Bite The Shiny Lure.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Verdict, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,454 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    The hiring of Kiffin has a many 'Zoners clammoring for the drafting of new players to fix the defense due to the change in our defensive scheme. That sounds great, in theory, but shouldn't our first priority be to fix that porous offensive line?

Drafting the next Warren Sapp might be a great deal for the defense, but realistically are we going to go with a patchwork offensive line again next year? Unless the next Warren Sapp can also be a dominant OT, or G/C (that is sarcasm for you who ride the short bus) it is really going to be disappointing if we go a defense heavy draft this year at the expense of the OL, yet again.
  2. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,548 Messages
    835 Likes Received
    The pieces for the 4-3 are there. We have questions about RDE, SOLB and FS but plenty of time for Kiffin to evaluate Crawford, Albright and Johnson.

We should be able to go OL early and often.
  3. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I believe we would be targeting Oline, D line and S in the draft either way 3-4 / 4-3 we needed same replacements.....this just changes the type of those positions we will be looking for.
    If you really think about it this is a good year for us to switch back to the 4-3, this draft is strong on d line, O line and there are some good safeties too... and i believe Jerry goes hard after a FA interior linemen.
    I really dont think the O line will get ignored....
  4. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,113 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Put a best player available list together with these positions combined.. OG/DE/S/DT.... We'll see what happens in free agency first, but whoever is #1 on your list by the time you draft at those 4 positions, you have to select that player.
  5. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I would not be surprised if we picked up 1 OL in FA and 1 DL in FA as well.

I think guys like Coleman, Free, Connor and possibly Spears will be gone (along with F Jones, Jenkins).
  6. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,040 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    This team is riddled with holes and dangerously thin in several key areas. Dallas can't afford to get cute and force picks, they just have to draft the BPA at every turn.
  7. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,576 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    No Ratliff, no Josh Brent, leaves us with no DT's. Hatcher and Crawford are DE's. Lissemore is a DT/DE. And he's not exactly a run stopper for a DT. So talk about patchwork.
  8. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    The current players we have are better suited for the 43 now. It won't take much tweaking. We will pick this defense up much faster and the players will fly to the ball instead of worring about responsibilities.

All i'm worried about is the old man adjusting on the fly.
  9. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,576 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    Exactly. DL or OL, maybe even S.
  10. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I think you'll find that Jerry and Jason have concluded that our offensive production was generally good and that by the end of the season our offensive line began playing reasonably well together.

This latter point, I think, will cause them to spend less resources on offensive linemen than I think a lot of fans would like or expect. Maintaining continuity will be a priority.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Happy New Year! Staff Member

21,122 Messages
    1,975 Likes Received
    :signmast:
  12. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,211 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    Is Arkin ready to play? If so, that can solve a lot of our issues.
  13. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    I like guards from Alabama and North Carolina respectively....Warmack and Cooper. Both should be in the 15-25 range and I really think protecting Romo us key.
  14. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,040 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Just give him another two years in an NFL strength and conditioning program and we might be able to activate him on gamedays.
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    It happens EVERY year.

When the season ends, it's clear the offensive line was a major factor... But the closer we get to FA and the draft, the more you'll hear about all these totter positions that need to be addressed.

By daft time, a lot of people (and the cowboys staff) will be convinced safety is a bigger need than OL or CB, etc.

It has happened at least 5 years straight and its always fascinating to watch. It's no wonder the team need list has been virtually unchanged for so long.

Hahhaha. Arkin? Be careful what you wish for. What about Leary? Yeah, we got some real talent here just waiting for their chance.
  16. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Those are the guys to help the run game. As pass protectors especially warmack that is not his or bamas long suit. Don't get me wrong they do it but it is not why is a first round guy.
  17. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,786 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    Unless a trade down, look for a DT at our 1st position in the draft. JJ looks at the money a particular player in a spot in the draft costs no matter the position, and will not pay a OG that money. He will pay a LT or a DT that level of money. It would take a elite OG, one perceived with the talent of a Larry Allen (who was taken in the 2nd from a small school) for JJ to take him high.