1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Don't forget the call and the non-call

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by OhSnap, Oct 31, 2013.

1. HeavyBarrel

HeavyBarrel Well-Known Member

814 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    "We" aren't playing anyone, we are fans, and fans discuss bad play calls, bad officiating, bad drafts etc....We look ahead to games several weeks into the future and look back at game several weeks in the past. What is said here is irrelevant to what the Cowboys do on the field-no reason to act like we are anything else.
    Corso and Eric_Boyer like this.
  2. BlueStar22

BlueStar22 Well-Known Member

8,153 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    Still is "we" as long as i've made the emotional, time, and financial investment. You may not say "we" but a lot of fans do.

Point was move on. There will be another non-call this week. If the offense doesn't handle business, we'll be complaining about that non-call again.
  3. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,596 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    I think allot gets swept under the rug because the team who wins doesn't care about the officiating as long as they get the W and the other team don't wanna sound like a crybaby. Theres allot of inconsistencies.
  4. HeavyBarrel

HeavyBarrel Well-Known Member

814 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    I DO agree with this statement lol.
  5. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,104 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    Don't hold, and the FG isn't a gimme...and neither is a win with less time.
  6. ChldsPlay

6,104 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    I still think the call against Williams should have stood. The CB certainly wasn't playing the ball and had his hand on or around William's waist as well. The tripping part might have been an accident, but contact wasn't.
    OhSnap likes this.
  7. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

3,924 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    we never get calls haha this is nothing new
  8. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    I hate the "feet got tangled up" thing sometimes.

Sometimes it makes sense, but not if the DB is the guy who is clearly initiating contact.

If Williams had've run into the CBs area/tried to run him over and trips up over him, then there shouldn't be a flag. Everyone is entitled to the space they're in.

But that's not what happened. Williams beat his guy, was working his way toward the middle of the field away from the guy before the guy runs into Williams feet while Williams was playing the ball.
  9. Ntegrase96

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    Yeah but if there is no hold, then the Lions have 25, maybe 30 seconds at best to tie the game with a FG (I'd hope Garrett wouldn't risk kicking a FG there) to go 80+ yards. I doubt that would've been likely since they had no timeouts. You would've seen them get maybe one 15-20 yd completion to the middle of the field, take 10-15 seconds to clock the ball with 5-10 seconds left. Maybe have another shot at the sidelines which still likely wouldn't put them in fg range, then a lame hook and latter type play.
  10. ChldsPlay

6,104 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    Well, if they got the same kind of play they did on the TD drive then they would have had no trouble getting into FG range. Allowing a long pass that was also out of bounds was killer.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,938 Messages
    3,877 Likes Received
    It's hard to move on after such a tough loss when you've got a ho-hum matchup this week against a flailing Vikings team. That's not to say they couldn't beat us, but it's a game most of us consider we should win, handily. There's nothing but downside this week since we're emotionally assuming we've got the W, the bye, and then a probably L coming against the Saints. That keeps you at 500 the next three weeks. Hard to get up for.
  12. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,438 Messages
    3,678 Likes Received
    It should motivate a good team to come out and crush the inferior team. This team should be extremely angry at themselves for allowing a win to slip away like it did.

For some reason, that just does not seem to be this football team's style.

I expect a tighter contest filled with plenty of "it is tough to win in this league" commentary after the fact.
  13. Idgit

27,938 Messages
    3,877 Likes Received
    I was talking about the fans, there. I don't have a read on the team's psyche this week.

From what I've seen of them, I expect them to play relatively focused and to beat a team we should beat at home. We've done that pretty consistently under Garrett. It's the good teams we struggle with.
    The game will be a tighter contest than we fans tend to expect, because the league really is generally pretty closely matched, and the Vikings probably will be up for the opportunity here. The 'tough to win' commentary will come, for sure. Mostly because it really is tough to win in this league. We're not in a position to be expecting blowouts, anyway.
  14. ChldsPlay

6,104 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    If the process was working, we would be.
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,485 Messages
    1,988 Likes Received
    Agree. That made no sense to me. Incidental contact is only supposed to erase PI when the DB is playing the ball. He doesn't have a license to run up the back of the receiver when he's just chasing him.
  16. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

13,703 Messages
    681 Likes Received
    Maybe the non-call will keep the offense from handling business. Ever thought about that?
  17. Idgit

27,938 Messages
    3,877 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be.
  18. Derinyar

Derinyar Well-Known Member

1,929 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    A non call in situations like that definitely impacts that drive. Williams likely has a completion without the tangled feet. With a flag there's a first down. That is a major thing that they waived off, and according to the rules it's probably the right call.
  19. Ntegrase96

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    I don't think that pass is easier to complete under the same circumstances though. Usually you try not to throw too far down the field because if the player stays in bounds, it would surely run out the clock. So offensively, your approach changes a bit.

Or at least that's what you'd normally see.

I'm not saying it's impossible for them to do, but it would've been pretty difficult, and a FG =/= a loss anyway.
  20. BigStar

BigStar Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,968 Messages
    1,126 Likes Received
    I'm an admitted "ref bias" believer but can't argue that...