1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Don't forget Virginia OLB/DE Cam Johnson

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by supercowboy8, Mar 29, 2012.

1. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,236 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    One outside linebacker/defensive end the Cowboys are keeping an eye on over the next month leading up to the NFL draft in late April is Virginia's Cam Johnson.

Johnson (6-3, 268) is a late bloomer who would give the Cowboys the versatility they desire.

The Cowboys met with Johnson at the NFL Combine and attended Virginia's Pro Day on March 15. Johnson is visiting the Pittsburgh Steelers next week but doesn't yet have a visit scheduled with the Cowboys.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/03/virginia-olbde-cam-johnson-cou.html
  2. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,745 Messages
    677 Likes Received
    Every year, there's a guys name that just sticks in my head and this is him. I don't know anything about him, except that I expect the Boys to pick him. Strange, I know
  3. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Pet cat, he's a good.
  4. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,599 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Cam is a good football player who played 3-4 OLB for Al Groh in '08 and '09 and 4-3 DE for Mike London the past two years--never surrounded by much accompanying talent. He was almost always the focus of the offense.

He has the physical numbers and athleticism you look for in a 3-4 OLB, but he's more powerful than agile. He is explosive and has very long arms. I don't think he'll ever be Deion Sanders in coverage, but he has very good speed and can cover the flats, and unlike some people I think CJ has the ability to play standing up as well as he does with his hand in the dirt, especially on the strong side.

I think Cam could easily be a better pro than he was in college.

A player who had a great career at UVA but doesn't get much pub is Austin Pasztor. 6-7 and 306, he's agile and athletic for a guy his size. He played guard at Virginia.
  5. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,382 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    I am honestly a little undereducated on him. Any projections on what round they think he will be selected?
  6. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,970 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    He might be able to be used as a situational pass rusher, but he's way better suited as a 4-3 end. His straight line speed is adequate but I don't think he's athletic enough to play in space consistently.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,616 Messages
    4,168 Likes Received
  8. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Thanks Walker. Something to consider, with 10 guys on the list only 2 being better suited to a 4-3 (Upshaw, Perry), 2 either way (Curry, Mecilus) that leaves 6 guys. It is quite possible that one is there around 81.
  9. DeepThreat

DeepThreat New Member

19 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  10. FootballCorner

FootballCorner New Member

26 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    His bench press numbers are poor. He only had 16 reps at his pro day. His forty time is not great either. While workout numbers should not be the sole reason evaluations are made, lack of speed and strength for pass rushers is key.
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,166 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    104 Cam Johnson DE 10 Virginia Sr 6-3 268 3

Draft scout projects him as 3rd rounder