1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Don't Knock it, Mock it

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by BAT, Jan 13, 2012.

1. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Padding the post count today, are we??

:D
  2. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Now I have something to root for... will you put the video up on YouTube??
  3. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Because everybody knows that the secret to winning in the NFL is stockpiling players who have been on the cover of one edition or another of Madden NFL...

Really, I'm surprised I have to explain that to you... :D
  4. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What you talkin' about, Willis??
  5. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That'll never happen...
  6. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,731 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    Did not say it would. But there will be a lot of new faces next season, more than the 7 FA's I originally listed, that you can bet on.

Brooking
    James
    Newman
    Spencer
    Coleman
    Walker
    Ball
    Elam
    Kitna
    Greisen
    Bennett
    Ogletree
    Morris
    Dockery
    Holland
    Kosier
    Costa
    Washington
    Chapas
    Buehler
    Jones

That's over 20 right there. And I do not see many of those futures' signings making the team either. That's another 5 guys minimum.
  7. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Benched

12,012 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Wait, did Julian Peterson even play last year? You're picking up a couple of retired players?

B/c I know Andre Carter had like 12 sacks and they had an awful secondary.
    And Carter has played in the 4-3 and 3-4 so there's plenty of versatility there.
  8. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,731 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    Carter had 10 sacks this season. But I am not advocating Peterson as a pass rusher, but a versatile LB that can play inside or outside in Rob's scheme. Peterson did not play in 2011, true. But he is not retired.

Carter is not only a 4-3 DE, but he prefers the left side, Ware's spot. Carter has been a 4-3 DE for every team he's played for: 49ers, Skins & Pats (Pats base this season was 4-3)

http://www.patspulpit.com/2011/12/19/2647748/confirmed-patriots-de-andre-carter-to-ir
  9. MarionBarberThe4th

12,012 Messages
    150 Likes Received

Why didn't he play?

I think you worded something wrong there. Wares right, Carters left. And Carter does stand up plenty

Edit:

Carter was selected by the San Francisco 49ers in the first round of the 2001 NFL Draft. Because the 49ers used a 3-4 defense under Head Coach Mike Nolan, Carter was moved to outside linebacker. While playing for the 49ers, he made 154 solo tackles, 32 sacks, and 12 pass deflections in 69 games.

Washington Redskins

Carter signed a six-year, $30 million contract with the Washington Redskins as an unrestricted free agent on March 14, 2006. The Redskins moved Carter back to defensive end, his natural position.......However in 2010 the Redskins hired a new coach, Mike Shanahan, who changed their 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense which required Carter to play outside linebacker. The Redskins released Carter on March 1, 2011.
  10. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    5 or 6 of them will not be released... you're simply not gonna see the kind of wholesale carnage you seem to believe is about to ensue, I'm quite confident of that... off the top of my head, I look for Elam, either Dockery or Holland and Costa to be retained...

As to those futures signings, virtually all of them will be on the 80 man roster at the start of training camp... then there's the draft, which currently looks like 8 new players for camp, and of course 12-15, maybe more, undrafted rookie free agents...

I'm optimistic that the Boys will be active in free agency, but I still don't see more than 3 or 4 signings, tops...

When it's all said and done, I'll go on record right now that the Boys will not have more than their usual 15 or 16 new players on their 53 man roster...
  11. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But he basically sucked in the 3-4... no thanks...
  12. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,731 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    My bad, Andre Carter did play in a 3-4. Just not as successfully, or as long, as he did in the 4-3. When the 3-4 comes to town, Carter is soon on his way out. Carter will not even go to a team with a 3-4 scheme b/c he is just not very good/effective in that scheme. And he plays on the same side as Ware, the right side.

Peterson was cut by the Lions before the 2011 season not b/c he could not play (he was still playing at high level), but b/c his salary was too much. Peterson has worked out for several teams in 2011 but did not sign with either. He is a physical freak and could still help a team like the Cowboys due to his versatility, athleticism & playmaking. Peterson would be a great mentor for someone like Bruce Carter - both have tremendous athleticism, speed & coverage ability.
  13. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,731 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    Even if Cowboys sign 5 or 6 on that list, that is still 15 players that need to be replaced in either FA or the draft.

Cowboys have 8 draft picks, so that leaves 7 FA to sign.
  14. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,707 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    That's very true but Dallas will add 2 or 3 undrafted free agents like they always do.

The result is 4 or 5 free agents from other teams.
  15. MarionBarberThe4th

12,012 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Doesn't that tell you about what they saw?

Also:

FOXBOROUGH - Andre Carter’s defensive line coach at the University of California once told him he needed to embrace being a versatile player. Carter may have been comfortable on the right side, but he had to develop the technique of playing left end.

Every now and then, Carter is called on to make the switch. As the Patriots’ leading pass rusher, he knows he could be asked to change at any moment.
  16. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,731 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    From Carter's own mouth, he does not want to play for a 3-4 team. As a FA, he get's to choose.
  17. MarionBarberThe4th

12,012 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    I appreciated the well thought out and obtainable Mock/FA. But counting on 2 retired players at our weaker areas is odd considering the availabilty of guts like Chris myers, Scott wells, Andre Carter, jarrett Johnson etc.

You're setting yourself up for plan B and C
  18. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,144 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    Done deal!