1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Don't worry about the salary cap

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by supercowboy8, Jan 12, 2013.

1. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,388 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    That's very true Perry.

There's a lot of merit in what you're saying.

No sense dredging up all the lousy contracts the Cowboys have given out over the years.

But if you look at Carr's contract, I think it was intended on the get-go to rework it going into year #2.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    certainly does look that way. Realistically his is the best one to do it anyway.
  3. MichaelWinicki

31,388 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    Yeah.

Too bad the team is shackled with the Free and Ratliff contracts but that's water over the dam at this point.
  4. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Wrong. Romo contract stats that if he is on the roster in 2013 then his next three years are voidable but if we cut him now we will have the restructure bonus prorated from the next 4 years as a cap hit this year.
    The prorated bonus would be 18 million cap hit this year if we cut romo.

Romo is on the team next year like it or not. Also we have to restructure his contract so we can get under the cap, meaning he will be the QB for this team for years to come.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo/
  5. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    releasing Doug Free will not be a 7 million cap savings.
    If we release Doug Free then his signing bonus prorated out will all be a cap hit this year. SO if we release Free he will be a 6.018 million cap hit and only a 3 million cap savings.
  6. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,261 Messages
    1,898 Likes Received
    wonder why people keep bringing this up when stephen has said that we can sign whoever we want to (this is actually in the sig line of one of the posters, i think gimmesix)

by inference, therefore, whoever we did not sign or dont sign are guys we did not want to sign

no?

cant have it both ways, either we are 'shackled' or we are not
  7. Nexx

Nexx Well-Known Member

1,545 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    almost every team is in the same boat. this is how the NFL works people, lol. i cant believe people still dont understand this.
  8. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,379 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I wonder if Dallas would be better served by accepting the 5M cap hit so Washington has to deal with their 18M cap hit
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    When they get rid of these bad contracts, they will find some more stiffs to overpay.
  10. MichaelWinicki

31,388 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    Yeah, that can happen.

I suppose every team in the NFL has a sour contract or two.
  11. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,379 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I sure hope Adam can take me off the ledge because our cap situation really has me concerned
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,397 Messages
    6,423 Likes Received
    Right. Don't talk about it.

We'll even ignore Brandon Carr is grossly over paid and a waste of key resources that could really fix this team. Claiborne also wasted two prime picks that would have gone a long way into addressing the real critical issues on the roster.

Water under the bridge though. Ignore it. Unless, of course, you want to learn from it and never do it again. That's what the front office needs to do. Recognize that philosophy was fatally flawed from the start and begin to really build this team properly while you still have some years left in your franchise QB.
  13. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,397 Messages
    6,423 Likes Received
    It should have you concerned.

We hand out bad contracts at an alarming rate. Probably because the two guys responsible for it can't evaluate talent.
  14. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,996 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    Dallas will find a way to sign FA's that want...
  15. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,320 Messages
    941 Likes Received
    RS bro do you ever stop complaining about Moe and Carr? I think they will finally spend some of those resources on the line this year. I get your frustration I really do. We've seen you complain all year about it. It's not going to change what happened. I know it's hard to have faith but I think we can have a little faith this offseason. My reason for that is I believe that once the cuts and restructures are done they will sign some good talent man. Don't take it wrong because I don't mean it in a bad way. I just think instead of complaining about it in every thread we look ahead and see what we can do. I am excited about Carr Moe and Church next year and I hope they snag a solid FS in the draft like Matt Elam. I know you don't want to hear it but I am excited for Costa this year and I have high hopes for Parnell. I think we will upgrade the guards in FA.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,088 Messages
    993 Likes Received
    Stephen Jones says you are wrong.
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,800 Messages
    3,294 Likes Received
    :bow:

When hell freezes over.
  18. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Wrong about what, he hasn't said anything about this. He has said everything i stated that we can sign anyone we want due to structuring contracts like I stated
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,211 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    About being over the cap right now?

Did he give a number?

Dallas looks to have 55M currently scheduled to be tied up on just Romo, Carr, Ware and Free. Right now, I'm not sure he is wrong.
  20. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,789 Messages
    1,415 Likes Received
    We were in great shape before we got Mara'ed. We always said that about the Redskins too.

We can get at least a million dollars in savings by granting the years salary as SB for the following players:

Witten 5.5m with 5 years left = 1.1; savings of 4.4m
    Austin 6.7m with 4 years left = 1.675m; savings of 5.025m
    Ratliff 5m with 5 years left = 1m; savings of 4m
    Romo 11.5m with 5 years left = 2.3m; savings of 9.2m
    Carr 14.3m 5 years left = 2.86m; savings of 11.4m
    Ware 5.5m 3 years left = 1.83m; savings of 3.6m
    Livings 1.7m 4 years left = .425m; savings of 1.275m
    Scandrick 2m 4 years left = .5; savings of 3.5m

I prob missed some and there are guys that would give a savings of just under a mil. This is just to give an idea of what we are dealing with. There are min salaries and similar accounting considerations but this is just the quick and dirty approximation to give a sense of what is possible. Adam is the precision guy.

I agree with Stephen Jones about the chuckle when people talk about being up against the cap.