1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dont'a Hightower at OLB?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by rooler, Jan 10, 2012.

1. rooler

rooler Benched

62 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dont'a Hightower*, ILB, Alabama
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 260.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.85.

can play OLB
  2. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,417 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I bet maybe a lil OLB, ILB, and DE in a 4-3
  3. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
  4. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,160 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    Yes he could and I'm all for it, he is the #3 OLB on my list. I have read were many scouts say he is a better NFL 3-4 OLB than Upshaw.

My 3-4 OLB list as of noe is
    Melvin Ingram
    Courtney Upshaw
    Donta Hightower
  5. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Active Member

984 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    Me thinks that Mr. Hightower can play anywhere on the the front 7 he wishes (ok, except NT). The kid is a pure baller and has great instincts. I was impressed with both he and Upshaw last night - but, the scary thing is, as much as I believe Upshaw lived up to his billing last night, Hightower looked even better.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,903 Messages
    993 Likes Received
    He does play on the outside on passing downs, he did so last night and was able to force a fumble from the LSU QB as he swiped the ball out of his hands as he was in the process of getting the sack
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,571 Messages
    1,855 Likes Received
    Projected 40 time of 4.85? That would be ok for a DE, but Linebackers with that kind of time usually don't get drafted in the top 3 rounds.
  8. supercowboy8

5,160 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    lets wait till the combine, these projections are BS
  9. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Yeah with the kind of versatility each one of Hightower and Upshaw show, both would make a really good fit for Ryan's D since he moves players around so much. Would also give us a chance to move around Carter presnap if he wins a starting job.

Since they both have vast experience in the 3-4, both could be a plug and play. If we could get either with a second round pick, we should do backflips, but both will probably work themselves into the first round and might even workout well enough to be considered at #14.
  10. rooler

rooler Benched

62 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  11. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,222 Messages
    290 Likes Received
    Suggs and Harrison ran in the 4.8's.

Aldon Smith 4.7, didn't stop him from getting to the Qb, it's not 40 yards to the QB.

40 is so overrated for 3-4 OLB.
  12. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,462 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    You know, I remember saying I wanted Upshaw in the first round as a replacement for Spencer, based on what I'd seen watching Alabama play this year. I actually had him mixed up with Hightower, not realizing that they played him outside at times.

I watched the game last night, and was somewhat impressed with Upshaw, but you're right. He's not that explosive, whereas Hightower is.
  13. supercowboy8

5,160 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    Hightower makes plays all over the field and shows up when ever needed.
  14. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I wasn't very impressed by Upshaw - he will not be the pass rusher we covet. He doesn't have enough burst.

I really liked what I saw from Hightower. He was very active and powerful. It seems like he has a great feel for the game. I'm not sure how he will time but I think he'd be a big upgrade over Spencer. According to most mocks #14 is too early for him.

He'd be a candidate in a trade-down, though.
  15. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,462 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    If the draft were this week, perhaps it would be. Who knows how those boards will look in 3 1/2 months.
  16. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

2,797 Messages
    381 Likes Received
    40 times are overrated for everyone but even more so for anyone other than WR and DB's who really need the make up speed and speed through breaks.
  17. cowboysfan31

cowboysfan31 Active Member

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I really like Hightower, not only is he a playermaker but he is also the QB of that defense. One of the reasons people knock his speed is because he tore his ACL 2 years ago and was slow recovering from that, but he is over it now I believe. People look at the sack numbers and think that Upshaw is better, but they don't realize he's also asked to rush the QB more. Hightower had as many PBU as Robert Lester did this year, 1 less passes defended, and both players blocked a kick. Upshaw didn't do that.