1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

Dontari Poe

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Jan 10, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

20,315 Messages
    6,921 Likes Received
    Height: 6-3
    Weight: 335
    Speed: 5.30e
    Arm: 31 5/8
    Hand: 9 1/2
    Wingspan: 78 1/2
    Birthdate: 08/18/1990
    Hometown: Memphis, TN
    Grade: 6.25

First name is pronounced “DON-tar-ee.” The Tennessee prep was a two-time state shot put champion and won the state title in the discus as a senior. Appeared in 11 games, making six starts at nose tackle, as a true freshman in 2009. Recorded 27 tackles, seven tackles for loss and two sacks with three forced fumbles. Did not play against Houston because of a death in the family. Started all 12 games in ’10, registering 41-6 1/2-2 with one pass batted down. Made seven starts at nose tackle — season opener and the last six games — and five starts at defensive tackle. Made all 12 starts at nose tackle in '11 and recorded 33-8-1 with three passes batted down and one forced fumble.

Thick, stoutly built, active big man with outstanding size, though his arms are relatively short. Good initial quickness, bend and pad level with nice inline lateral agility. Has two-gap ability and plays with a load in his hands. Strong tackler. Is tough and durable, loves football and maintains his weight, but impressive weight-room strength doesn't translate to consistent power, and stamina will have to be monitored. Has enough quickness and athletic ability to function as a 4-3 nose, as he can push the pocket, but is more of a stack-and-shed type who could also slide along a "30" front. Not yet a consistent force and could stand to show more of a junkyard dog-type mentality as a junior.

11/12/2011 (Audibles):
    NFL evaluator: "(Memphis DT) Dontari Poe is not going to show up a lot in the stat box, but he is a disruptor. He moves very well for his size, and he's around the ball a lot."

2. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,821 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    If he were available at the top of the second I could make a case for moving up to get him if we think he can play NT.

I don't think he has enough burst to play DE and the short arms will make it difficult for him to play the 5-technique.

The only thing I wonder about is his pad level at NT. I seem to recall him playing quite high. If that can be coached out of him he could be a great NT with that power and size. He really is prototypical size for an NT.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

6,110 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    2nd round sure but not at 14