1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dorsett for Montana?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by fgoodwin, Jul 7, 2009.

1. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,145 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    This NFLN video describes the number five draft trade of all-time, the Dallas Cowboys trade with Seattle for the right to draft running back Tony Dorsett:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80211b0f/Top-Ten-Draft-Trades-Tony-Dorsett

The video concludes with the statement that the last pick Dallas traded to Seattle was ultimately dealt to San Francisco, and that the 'Niners used that pick to select Joe Montana, making Seattle look even worse for doing the deal.

There's just one problem: its not true. I don't know where NFLN got their info, because those drafts were two years apart, and as far as I can tell, the '77 trade did not involve any of Dallas' '79 draft picks.

Montana was actually taken by SF using a third round pick in the '79 draft obtained from Dallas (via Seattle) in the Bill Gregory (not Tony Dorsett) trade: on Aug. 28, 1978, the Seahawks traded their third round pick in the 1979 draft (#76 overall) and their 6th round pick (#155) to the Cowboys for DT Bill Gregory and Dallas' third round pick (#82).

Later that day, the Seahawks traded S Bob Jury and the third-round pick (#82) they obtained from Dallas to the 'Niners in exchange for the 'Niners third-round 1979 draft choice (#57), with which they drafted LB Michael Jackson from Washington. The Cowboys used their third round pick (#76 from Seattle) on TE Doug Cosbie from Santa Clara. The Niners used their third round pick (#82 from Dallas via Seattle) on QB Joe Montana; see:

http://seahawks.cypressconsulting.net/Team/AllTimeTrades.aspx?d=197

So it wasn't Dorsett for Montana; more like Bill Gregory for Doug Cosbie, and Jury / Jackson for Montana. Still, not bad deals anyway you slice it!
  2. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,611 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Shhh, you'll spoil the melodrama that is NFL Films.
  3. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,145 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    OK I know this response is coming two years late, but I want to correct one thing: the Top Ten video was produced by NFL Network, NOT NFL Films. NFL Films' reputation and accuracy are impeccable.

NFLN? Not so much . . .
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,956 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    If it had gone the way they said, it would be more like Dorsett AND Montana that Seattle missed out on and not Dorsett for Montana.
    Either way, they blew it.

Like with Tom Brady, the whole league blew it on Montana by passing on him in the draft 2 or 3 times. Pretty amazing, but Montana was a classic example of how measurables don't come close to measuring a QB.
  5. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,145 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Very true.
  6. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    NFLN makes a lot of mistakes.

Earlier today I was watched the repeat of their 10 greatest Dallas Cowboys. It was mentioned that Larry Allen won three super bowls with the Cowboys.

Not true, of course.

NFLN should produce a show highlighting the NFL Network's Top 100 Mistakes and Misstatements.