1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Doug Free

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Dec 6, 2012.

1. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,239 Messages
    4,186 Likes Received
    This is going to go over like a lead balloon but after watching the all 22 of the Philly game I came away with a little better impression of Free.

I generally do fairly well with impressions of play from watching the live game but I know this can easily be wrong. In this case he went from failing to submarginal/marginal.

He's not getting a lot of pop on his run plays but he's generally sustaining his blocks and moving his man slightly to reasonably well. Most of the reasonable blocks was walling off his player and not drive blocks. He did get downfield occasionally but didn't make a lot of noise generally.

On pass blocking he did get bull rushed more than you'd like to see and did cause Romo to move out of the pocket on at least one occasion. However, it didn't affect Tony much at all. He got beat on an outside and inside move and Tony did get sacked although once another Philly player got there first. So he's having problems moving his feet and on occasion is getting successfully bull rushed. Rarely he looks unprepared to block his man, moving very slowly to pass protect....unfortunately too slow. I'd say the outside move is creating more problems for him than the bull rush although he doesn't look very good at blocking it at times.

Generally he's looking like a marginal to average player in the NFL. Unfortunately the rest of the OL looks much the same. Some a little better and some about the same. He's certainly not living up to his contract.

Most likely this will provoke a good number of negative responses and that's ok. Just keep it civil. Everyone is entitled to their opinion(s).

I'd love to hear from those who have looked at the all 22. I'm going back and look again, hopefully when I'm not getting constantly distracted.
  2. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,748 Messages
    568 Likes Received

Free is getting paid left tackle starting money, I think the organizastion should expect better than "marginal", Costa I expect Marginal,he's a spare, not from Free that's making 8 million a year to play right tackle on left tackle money...He should of been benched during the Eagles game to send the message....Next years draft, first three rounds better be , a tackle(Free's replacement), a guard and a center...
  3. jobberone

38,239 Messages
    4,186 Likes Received
    I agree he's not performing not only to his contract but his play is not what we'd like from the position. I would have no problem seeing Parnell in there but Garrett gave us a hint about Parnell not playing well enough early in the year. I suspect they still don't trust him or they would have run Parnell out there more. Parnell did play in some big formations and looked ok with what I saw but I was looking at Free.

They most likely will not draft a G, C and OT in the first three rounds. I expect they would like to sign at least one OL in FA and maybe two. It just depends on who is out there, wants to come here and we can afford to pay the going rate whatever that is.
  4. lane

lane The Chairman

10,849 Messages
    760 Likes Received

:hammer:
  5. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,426 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Doug Free sucks.
  6. jobberone

38,239 Messages
    4,186 Likes Received
    That took a lot longer than I thought.
  7. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Watching the tape is important.. its important, uh.. to watch the tape, and watch it.. well.
  8. jobberone

38,239 Messages
    4,186 Likes Received
    Ok, Roy. I'll go look again just because its you. ;)
  9. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,476 Messages
    904 Likes Received
    :lmao: :laugh2:
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,537 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    Free constantly loses hand battles and sometimes his footwork is off. Needs to be cut in the off season because I dont think he can move inside. Jake Matthews would look great at either tackle spot.
  11. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,812 Messages
    1,086 Likes Received
    It really pains me to say this because I was one of those guys that led the Doug Free charge several years ago, but ever since he got paid he has really fallen off. Perhaps it was the move to the right side that created problems for him. Speaking from experience, moving from one side to the other (guard or tackle) can be quite a transition. Not everyone finds success in doing so.. I just hate that this guy has fallen so far because, two years ago, he was nails.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,100 Messages
    6,917 Likes Received
    I said the same thing after watching hairic's passing play breakdown. Free got a lot of bad press in that game, but his pass pro was actually better than I'd remembered it being. And Smith's was worse.
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,094 Messages
    1,081 Likes Received
    I'd feel much better about his being an average NFL starter if he weren't paid like an elite NFL starter on a team with a crap OL.

And yes, the OL is crap, not average.
  14. ware1manarmy

ware1manarmy Member

77 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    i think he lacks in aggression, allowing the rusher to come to him to often and then he can't get his hands in the proper position, which causes him to play off balance
  15. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,812 Messages
    1,086 Likes Received
    There has been an overabundance of that type of play from him this year.
  16. jobberone

38,239 Messages
    4,186 Likes Received
    I wouldn't hesitate to say he doesn't have any fire and in fact on occasional plays looks disengaged or something. He is just slow out of the blocks and his feet just don't move.
  17. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,094 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    I never understood how the GM could be satisfied with horrible line play on both sides of the ball.... Games are won in the trenches, he obviously didn't learn a thing from Jimmy Johnson!

:bang2:
  18. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,476 Messages
    904 Likes Received
    Agreed
  19. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,013 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    Average means that he's in the middle ... that means of 32 starting RT's, he should be around #16.

At this point, he's not only NOT average, he's one of the worst RT's in the league.

Hardly average.
  20. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,868 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    I thought he played well in the second half.