1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Doug Marrone new Bills head coach....

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Risen Star, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,397 Messages
    6,423 Likes Received
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,388 Messages
    2,276 Likes Received
    My initial reaction is that I'm thinking the Buffalo fan base is going to look at this as the Bills going "cheap" to get a head coach.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,156 Messages
    3,152 Likes Received
    Not sure what's its going to take to resurrect that franchise. Personally I like Gailey a great deal. He's a tremendous human being. I hope he goes back to the college ranks or takes an OC job somewhere. He's a great leader of young men.
  4. MichaelWinicki

31,388 Messages
    2,276 Likes Received
    Just like the Cowboys (or even worse than the Cowboys) the selection of talent both through the draft and free agency has been poor.

They'll hit a nugget like Spiller once in a while, but for the most part they end up with horrible selections in the front-end of the draft. The Mike Williams (from UT) selection at #4 several years ago is a classic example.

Then you have horrible free agent signings like Derrick Dockery to simply bad ones like Mario Williams, who not only underperformed but then would blame everyone else for his and the rest of the defense's bad play.
  5. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,627 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    Yup. I feel sorry for Bills fans. Most of the people in Ontario are Bills fans, including most of my friends.

One long-time Bills fan I know was saying over the holidays how hopeless the Bills are. That whole organization needs restructuring. They've got some good players but seemed destined to fail, IMO

Matters are much worse, of course, cause Fitzpatrick should not a starting QB.
  6. hsfolk

hsfolk Member

360 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Marrone is a great hire for Buffalo, and he comes from the Sean Payton coaching tree
  7. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,362 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    Marone is a good coach, maybe he brings his guy Nassib with him.
  8. hutch1254

hutch1254 Well-Known Member

1,417 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    A lot of unhappy Bills fans this morning. All over the radio. Was at the store this morning and heard people talking about it...not in a good way either. People are comparing it to when they hired Mike Mularkey.

People here wanted Lovie and then have a guy like Marrone start as an OC and then someday take over as HC. Marrone will probably bring Nassib with him. Good luck with that, not impressed.
  9. MichaelWinicki

31,388 Messages
    2,276 Likes Received
    Yeah I can understand the Mularkey comparison.

Choosing Marrone with Lovie still out there is going to create a fire-storm of some magnitude within the Bills' nation.
  10. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,179 Messages
    794 Likes Received
    Where is YR and his thoughts about this?
  11. hsfolk

hsfolk Member

360 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Amazing how fans outside of Buffalo can actually see this is a good hire for them, but their fans can't
  12. MichaelWinicki

31,388 Messages
    2,276 Likes Received
    I understand your point of view, but keep in mind the stream of supposedly "good coaches" and front office folks brought to Buffalo over the last dozen years or so...

Greg Williams
    Mike Mularkey
    Dick Jauron
    Chan Gailey
    Tom Donahoe

So for the Bills fans to not get excited over a .500 college coach... Well I think it's understandble.
  13. Risen Star

20,397 Messages
    6,423 Likes Received
    You should judge any coaching hire on fan feedback.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,666 Messages
    1,468 Likes Received
    I live 'outside of Buffalo' and I don't view this as a good hire for them at all.
  15. Risen Star

20,397 Messages
    6,423 Likes Received
    That should read "shouldn't judge".

Sometimes fans are wrong. The Bills shouldn't be concerned how the hire will go over with the fan base. Win and they'll support you.
  16. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,754 Messages
    728 Likes Received
    I'm heartbroken as a Syracuse fan and a bit angered about this.

I believe from a pure coaching perspective, Marrone was probably a top-5 coach in the college game. All of those little things you see a well coached team do, like Landry's and Jimmy's teams did. Disciplined players. Gang tackling on defense. Players who could handle a playbook. Effort, toughness, etc....all were things that Marrone's SU teams did.

This caught my eye the very first game he coached. The difference was amazing and that team stunk because they had ZERO talent. It was a shame to watch some of those teams because they were clearly better coached, but didn't quite have the talent to do it.

As the talent progressed, which showed he could recruit, the team got better. IIRC, they went 6-1 down the stretch and they had one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the country.

He was innovative, going to the hurry up with just 14 days before the season. He also sent the team up to Ft. Drum to work with the soldiers at the Army base up there. Not only was it a good experience for those young men, but it helped the football team.

EVERY position on the team looked well coached. From the Quarterback to the MLB to the punter.

I wonder how much he will be making in Buffalo. But, as much as I praise him...I can't help but think him saying that SU was his 'dream job' was a crock. I know people try to apologize for him leaving...but, you don't leave your dream job after 4 years in the beginning of your career. So I feel like I was lied to. But, he greatly improved the team.

As far as him in Buffalo...I would never want to work for Ralph Wilson. I've loathed the Bills for years, now I know this will be screwed up and I'll just hate them some more.

Hopefully, SU will make either Schaffer or Hackett the HC and hopefully they can keep the program going on the right track.

It was fun while it lasted.

YR