1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dr. Dre

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Hoofbite, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    This guys next album is officially a unicorn. Never gonna happen.

Detox has been put off so many times I don't think it ever makes it out of the studio. Supposedly 2011 is the new date.

I imagine some of it has to do with the death of his son but as a fan of his work I can't help but feel bad that he might never get that record out.
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    I don't think he even cares about putting it out. The only reason he keeps working on it is cause people keep asking about it.
  3. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,579 Messages
    5,496 Likes Received
    :bow:
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,130 Messages
    6,913 Likes Received
    Never understood why people who don't like a specific genre of something feels the need to diss it to make a point.

There are quire a few genres of music that I don't particularly care for, but I'd never call it crap. I appreciate artistry in all forms, even if the output isn't high quality.

That said, rap has evolved, but it's still a good genre of music.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    It doesn't make a point. I am not a fan of rap. That doesn't mean my opinion on it matters. Easier to just dismiss the comments than to give them any credence.

I've heard plenty of people over the years tell me they hate country music, because that is mainly what I listen to. Well, good for them. Doesn't change my love for it one iota.
  7. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    it has evolved but into something terrible. I used to be a big Rap fan but todays Rap is just plain terrible.
  8. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,130 Messages
    6,913 Likes Received
    You're right. guess I'm not as evolved as you. :)

As someone whose been listening from its inception, there have always been bad rappers in the game.

In each phase of the genre, there have always been the good artists, the ones that were considered game changers, and then there are some of them where you wonder how they even got into the studio.

There's enough quality that you can find good music. It doesn't mean they'll be the most popular artists, tho.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    My wife would disagree with you about me evolving. ;)
  10. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,647 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    For the most part, i would agree. Have you heard of this new dude J.Cole tho? he pretty nice.

Very true, it just seems that now the people that are less talented have a much easier time getting on TV or radio becuase of a beat or an auto tuner and some of the most talented can't sell albums because of a watered down market and internet accessbility. Just to me it gives the overall genre a bad name with those people being at the forefront and representing the rap game.90's>80's>2000-2010 is my opinion.

I love rap. And hate rock. And Country.
  11. JustDezIt

3,647 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    As far as Dr. Dre, i think it is smart on his part. If he had put out an albume very couple years they would sell no where near as much becuase he is only a mediocre rapper. By waiting so long he lets the anticipation build and build so that when it finally does come out everyone runs out to buy it.

Plus he has to give the artists time to write his lyrics.:eek:
  12. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Amen to that.
  13. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

how did his son die? That sounds pretty terrible.
  14. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Detox us looking more and more like an illusion.

If it drops, it better be an instant classic with all the "time" that its taking to produce.

I have a feeling I will be disappointed. But the beats will be dope. You can pretty much count on that. Hopefully, the lyrics match.
  15. JustDezIt

3,647 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    He died from a heroin overdose in 2008. he was 20 years old.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7809543.stm

On a lighter note, he has another son who is a rapper named Hood Surgeon, you can find him on youtube. He has a westcoast flow and sounds alot like his dad.
  16. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I agree with you.I'm not a fan of rap,but I would not dismiss it as crap.
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,579 Messages
    5,496 Likes Received
    Now that is something I can agree with.
  18. JustDezIt

3,647 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Used to be a big rap fan?;)
  19. xWraithx

xWraithx Benched

3,449 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    here's a rule of thumb to follow regarding rap: if it's on the radio, it's absolute ****. if it's being played in a club, it's absolute ****.

money, ho's, cars, clothes. that's basically all you're getting on the radio waves.

dig deep, however, and you'll find gems such as Wu Tang Clan, Nas, etc. Those are the guys that really matter

it takes zero skill to say "superman dat ho" over a silly *** beat. but losers listen to and buy that ****.
  20. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Dig deep for Wu Tang and Nas?

Pretty mainstream.