1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dr. Z disses Switzer

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Kittymama, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Kittymama

Kittymama Benched

2,170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    From his mailbag column up now at SI.com:

To Will of Lake Worth, Fla., You wrote such a nice thing about my work that I will get out my history book and do a research project for you. The question: "Who is the weakest head coach to win a Super Bowl in the last 20 years?" Hey, wait a minute, who needs a book? This is an easy one. Barry Switzer. And you could replace 20 years with "ever."
  2. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,807 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    well...i mean we cant argue with it can we???:D
  3. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Brian Billick is probably worth mentioning as a possible runner-up.
  4. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,876 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    I would add these guys in with Switzer.

John Madden.

I listen to some of the things he says in the booth and think, "Wow, this guy was a coach?".

Brian Billick.

This guy was labeled a genius. The year the Ravens won it was a very weak year of football. The team really hasn't been that different since they won yet plays worse while other teams in the league have gotten better. He couldn't duplicate that success even with that same exact team.
  5. TheHustler

TheHustler Active Member

5,391 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Mike Martz is definitely up there.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,176 Messages
    2,020 Likes Received
    Albut, a distant one IMO.
  7. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,016 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    he didn't win it.
  8. Justis

Justis New Member

572 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Martz never won a SB as a head coach, I'd say Billick/Gruden
  9. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,372 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    Switzer was more a babysitter then a coach. I would agree with Dr Z. The players did all the work, but heck I could have done the same thing and won that same SB. Only I dont have a gun, so there could be no arrests at DFW.
  10. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I read that article and have no problem with Dr. Z's sentiment. I think most of us couldn't stand Switzer. Cowboys could have won at least 4 if Jimmy had been kept on longer, or Jones had hired a real pro coach.
  11. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    We could have won 4 without Jimmy if Switzer had been a real coach and had the team ready too play.
  12. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,314 Messages
    1,384 Likes Received
    Madden's record tells a different story. Sure, Switzer had a nice record as well, but the team went downhill rather fast in victories once he took over. Madden's team had a higher winning percentage with him than before and after he was gone with the organization.

Rich......
  13. jksmith269

jksmith269 Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995

3,898 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think its funny how people knock Switzer but when a player like Charles Haley says he respected Switzer and enjoyed playing for him more than any other coach that tells me he was doing something right.
  14. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's because Charles Haley was a head case who couldn't co-exist with hard you know what coaches.
  15. Jersey

Jersey Member

478 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Barry the Boob easily wins any dopey headcoach debates. This is why that group of talent was cleary the greatest in NFL history. To lose Jimmy, several other assistants and players, and still win a SB says it all. None of the other NFL great SB teams could withstand that and win a SB.
    Heck, Barry didn't even contribute. It was as if someone gave a hillbilly a sideline pass.
    Sorry, if I offended any hillbillies.
  16. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,876 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    I know Madden was a good coach, but some of the things he says don't make sense.

Back in 1991, Steve Beurlein took over because Aikman got injured and Dallas went on a winning streak to end the season. I remember there were some minor rumblings about Steve should become Dallas QB even when Aikman returned from injury.

Madden said that Steve used a lot of 5 step drops to get rid of the ball faster. He said because Aikman had a stronger arm that he would take 7 step drops so he could throw the ball down field. He failed to mention that it is the play call from the coaches that determines whether theQB drops back 5 or 7 steps. He insinuated that Beurlien took 5 steps on his own and if Aikman were in the game he would take a 7 step drop back for the same play.

Well, he knows better or should know better. I believe he knew better, but was just trying to create controversy or something. Those comments have always stuck in my head. I thought, "What the heck is he talking about?" Sure he was a good coach. He just says weird stuff sometimes.
  17. Jersey

Jersey Member

478 Messages
    1 Likes Received

He might say some weird stuff, but you can't argue with the 3 rules he used when coaching...
    1. Be on time.
    2. Listen.
    3. Play like hell when I tell you to.

That's classic old school.
  18. zagnut

zagnut New Member

1,210 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd have to agree. Switzer was embarassing in my eyes.

I think there's a wide gap, but 2nd place might be Ditka. I feel it's way too soon to close the book on Billick or Gruden. There really aren't a lot of Super Bowl coaches to choose from. You've got a lot of repeat winning coaches.
  19. GTaylor

GTaylor Gif Dude

1,849 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's because Switzer allowed "rapin' dopin' and shootin'" ...or something similar to what his coaching days were at Oklahoma.
  20. Richmond Cowboy

Richmond Cowboy Well-Known Member

1,262 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    "We did it baby! We did it our way!"

-Barry Switzer

:eek::